AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   Describe your experience with Yamaha p2500s, p3500s, p5000s, or p7000s amp and subs (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1357457-describe-your-experience-yamaha-p2500s-p3500s-p5000s-p7000s-amp-subs.html)

Archaea 08-31-2011 06:23 AM

I've the opportunity to try out a Yamaha p3500s amp on loan from a friend while I replace my Behringer EP4000 amp. I'm curious of other people's impressions on the Yamaha pxxxxs series?

Spec Sheets
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downlo..._datasheet.pdf

Setup -
Onkyo TX-NR 1007 with dual sub outs.
Two JTR Captivator Pros wired at 2 ohm each, running in stereo configuration.

Initial impressions -
1) With no spl meter and just guesstimation impressions it seems that the Yamaha amp is about 4 to 6 db less powerful than the EP4000 for subwoofer duty. I used -12dB on my sub outs for the Onkyo NR-1007 for the EP4000, and last night -7.5dB to get to about the same feel on the Yamaha. I have not tried using the mic2200 or samson s-convert as of yet, this impression is just plugging the amp directly into the AVR via RCA to XLR cables first in both cases.
2) The EP4000 is LOUD, the Yamaha is silent. I did the fan mod on the EP4000 (which may have caused it's 1.5 month death???? and CERTAINTLY caused it's warranty to not be honored) The EP4000 is worthless for home theatre duty without the fan mod because it is way to loud, but the Yamaha fan is 100% silent. The fan never kicked on last night at all that I heard and the casing didn't get hot, didn't even get warm. I didn't play any louder than about -10 on my AVR, but that's still pushing the Captivator pair pretty good - everytime I checked the amp for fan noise it was silent.
3) The yamaha seems much better built. The casing is better, the dedents on the attenuators are better, the knobs feel of higher quality the back of the amp is incredibly better labled and the switches feel very much like quality components. In contrast the EP4000 and it's dip switches and attenuator knobs feel cheap by comparison. The difference isn't even the feeling of a $300 amp vs. a $500 amp. The difference is that the EP4000 feels cheap and looks cheaply made and the Yamaha looks and feels like one of the highest quality pieces of electronics I've ever put my hands on. The EP4000 has a 30hz or 50hz low cut, the P3500S has a variable low cut that stops at 25hz.
4) The EP4000 subjectively seems to put out more low hz. This impression should be taken with a grain of salt because I don't have measuring tools, but when watching a movie scene that I'm familiar with I don't feel much air movement at all, but with the EP4000 there was a lot of air movement. The low hz generates the air movement, so guaging by this the Yamaha doesn't seem to put out quite as much low hz? (scenes used for this testing, Iron Man - Jericho missle launch, Kung Foo Panda - Skadoosh). The THX clip Amazing Life sounded as good as ever however, and the last deep note shook my home theatre room as much as ever.

I'm looking for other impressions. I've read some people say the yamaha amps aren't as good as other options for strictly subwoofer duty, but who knows if that's true without actual measureable data. The friend I loaned the amp from had a samson s-convert that he also loaned me but I figured out I don't have the right cables to try it out. I need an xlr to xlr cable pair to try it. I do have the cables to try my MIC2200, but wanted to try the amp just naked configuration first as that is how I'm most familiar with the EP4000 amp. More impressions to come.

Can anyone else offer impressions on the Yamaha PxxxxS series amps for use with subwoofers?

Archaea 08-31-2011 02:47 PM

I called Yamaha technical support and talked to Ed.

Yamaha Customer Support – 714-522-9000

I asked Ed a couple questions. I said the manual only specifies 2ohm at 1,000 hz for wattage and not 20hz to 20,000hz like 4 and 8 ohm. He said that the Yamaha pxxxxs series amps are not made for this type of low sound reproduction duty and not made to put out high wattage at 20hz frequencies -- especially with a 2ohm load. I then asked Ed what the YS Processing actually does because the manual just minimally hints that it is an EQ setting to use with Yamaha Club speakers. He explained that the YS processing is actually a midrange cut EQ. It makes a dip at around 1700 hz on the frequency response.

As mentioned above I never saw any heat issues running a 2ohm stereo load on the amp last night for a half hour or so at -10 on the AVR and full gain on the amp, no clip lights, no noticable heat, no temperature lights, but it did sound noticably different than my EP4000 amp right out of the box with my preference being for the EP4000 amp for the subwoofer duty. The build quality is there in spades on this yamaha amp, it just doesn't sound like it is a right match for my intended purpose (home theatre subs tuned to 20hz). As I've been reading up on this amp I've found multiple reviews that this pxxxxs series amp using proprietary Yamaha power technology sounds much better than the equivalent "D" class amps and sounds as good as old school AB class amps to people who have compared them directly when assigned to highs duty, but in my short experience I'd prefer the EP4000's capability and power... Interesting...

spanish68 08-31-2011 03:52 PM

I have the Yamaha P7000S amp powering my DIY LMS Ultra 5400 PR sub tuned to 16hz and it rocks. Like you mentioned, no noise from the fans and quality is top notch. This amp, however, is said to work best with 4ohm load (stereo) or 8ohm load (bridged). So far, I've had no issues running it at 4ohm (bridged), however, the amp is not being asked to reproduce below 15hz bass.

A9X-308 09-01-2011 01:05 AM

I have 2 P7000S and a P2500S and several older P series units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Initial impressions -
1) With no spl meter and just guesstimation impressions it seems that the Yamaha amp is about 4 to 6 db less powerful than the EP4000 for subwoofer duty. I used -12dB on my sub outs for the Onkyo NR-1007 for the EP4000, and last night -7.5dB to get to about the same feel on the Yamaha. I have not tried using the mic2200 or samson s-convert as of yet, this impression is just plugging the amp directly into the AVR via RCA to XLR cables first in both cases.

Without level matching, this sort of comparison is worthless. And, no, your ears aren't good enough to do it alone.

Quote:

2) The EP4000 is LOUD, the Yamaha is silent. I did the fan mod on the EP4000 (which may have caused it's 1.5 month death???? and CERTAINTLY caused it's warranty to not be honored) The EP4000 is worthless for home theatre duty without the fan mod because it is way to loud, but the Yamaha fan is 100% silent. The fan never kicked on last night at all that I heard and the casing didn't get hot, didn't even get warm. I didn't play any louder than about -10 on my AVR, but that's still pushing the Captivator pair pretty good - everytime I checked the amp for fan noise it was silent.

All of my ten or so Yamaha pro amps are very quiet, and even have been when I used some of them for PA duty where they were worked much harder continuously than they ever will in an HT.

Quote:

3) The yamaha seems much better built. The casing is better, the dedents on the attenuators are better, the knobs feel of higher quality the back of the amp is incredibly better labled and the switches feel very much like quality components. In contrast the EP4000 and it's dip switches and attenuator knobs feel cheap by comparison. The difference isn't even the feeling of a $300 amp vs. a $500 amp. The difference is that the EP4000 feels cheap and looks cheaply made and the Yamaha looks and feels like one of the highest quality pieces of electronics I've ever put my hands on. The EP4000 has a 30hz or 50hz low cut, the P3500S has a variable low cut that stops at 25hz.

They are very well made and reliable as hell. I've never managed to break one nor has one eer let me down which is why at the end of the time when I had PA gear, all the amps were Yamaha.

Quote:

I'm looking for other impressions. I've read some people say the yamaha amps aren't as good as other options for strictly subwoofer duty, but who knows if that's true without actual measureable data.

I have not measured any of my new P-S series amps, but the older units all exceeded spec, so I don't doubt these will too.

Quote:

Can anyone else offer impressions on the Yamaha PxxxxS series amps for use with subwoofers?

They are great amps, but for sheer watts/$ they cannot compete with the EP's.

I've used one of my P7000S to run my subs at home and it was fine.

I don't do subjective descriptions because I find them uniformative and pointless.

Sousa86 02-10-2013 07:23 AM

Same here. I have the 2500 running my energy 70's. Before they were running off my avr amps. There is definitely a difference in sound for the better. I notice i can turn it louder without it blarring and there is more of a presence when listening to demanding soundtraks. Lets say Hulk and Terminator for movies and various music traks. Glad i got this amp and plan to add more for the center and surrounds eventually. Need to find so sweet deals tho ;-)