I have tasted the forbidden fruit... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
and it was wonderful!

I'm the first to admit that I'm a total noob at all things on this forum. I stumbled across it a few years back and it inspired me to build a home theater. (still under construction)

The thought of building new speakers when the theater is done has been floating around in my head for a while. Mainly because my current speakers are some Yamahas I purchased at Best Buy for about $200 bucks 10+ years ago. I always wondered if I really needed something new. Would I be able to tell the difference between a crappy speaker and a "high end" speaker? I figured probably not, but I liked projects and building things. I was wrong.

Recently I was able to listen to some quality speakers at a listening session in my area thanks to Rick Craig from Selah Audio. Like I said in my title, I have tasted the forbidden fruit. It really stuck out to me today when I was working in my theater listening to music. I listened for about 5 minutes before I turned it off in disgust. It was painful to listening to at high volume. So needless to say, I can't wait to finish up my room and get to making dust on some new speakers.

***end of random thought thread***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
For your room Selah would be a waste of time + money. if you want something now: wayne parham 4pi.

edited

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #3 of 21 Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Selah would be a waste of time + money, if you want something now: wayne parham 4pi.

The 4pi's are my first choice as of now since my room will be about 75% moveis / 25% music. My room is only 11ft wide, so I was thinking of running a pair with a "phantom center". I already have the plans, plus plans for the 1pi for possible surrounds.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 809
a couple 4 pis (with jbl 2226/b&c de250) will do a whole lot of things right. they aren't the end all be all, but they are a good step into the high sensitivity/controlled directivity world.

i don't seem to recall anyone who has been disappointed with their 4pis in the many years that i have been following them and that says a lot.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 809
"I was thinking of running a pair with a "phantom center"."

yep...i'm with you.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-07-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Selah would be a waste of time + money, if you want something now: wayne parham 4pi.

Although his designs might not be my first choice, he is a well-respected and skilled designer and I don't believe his work is a waste of time and money. He knows what he is doing and his speakers would make many people happy.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am staying away. I remember how much i loved my old HT but it had been so long since then when I built this one. I am more than satisfied right now, but if I hear any decent system... I'd have to just get rid of it all or put organs on eBay.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

It depends on the application.

I think Selah designs are some of the best musical speaker designs that exist. Rick Craig knows how to build a speaker and uses some of the best drivers know. Line Arrays also have their place and can sound amazing so in many cases $$$$ = performance with Selah audio.

Yes, I would still choose a high end horn design for the best HT experience but not everyone has the same priorities. If music is a high priority then Selah does it right.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #9 of 21 Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the kind comments in this thread. I'm not sure where Omega's barb came from but one needs a thick skin in this business.

True, my main goal has always been for the best music playback but I also have designed for quite a few theater systems. I would encourage anyone looking for high output and constant directivity to consider Don Keele's CBT designs. Keep in mind that Don actually laid the groundwork for much of today's current horn systems and that he considers the CBT to be a step beyond them.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #10 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Any idea of an ETA for the Keele kits, Rick?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #11 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I actually just saw the JBL CBT at Cedia today. It was a tiny speaker. It was much bigger in my imagination. Unfortunately it wasn't being demo'd. I'm still a horn guy and the JBL K2 Synthesis room did little to change that view.

No problem on the comments. I'm not a customer of yours, but I know people who have had great dealings with you and I've followed your designs. I don't know where Omega's comment came from. Maybe he was confusing you with someone else. I just didn't want your name tarnished.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I looked at his theater thread (because i wanted to see what yamahas he had), and i saw he had an AT screen and what looked like a fairly serious room. Low efficiency conventional speakers wouldnt do it justice for home theater. A lot of selah speakers seem to have exceptionally low sensitivity, im sure they would do OKAY for home theater but imo i would keep them to 2 channel, its not a slight against selah just the reality of his room.

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #13 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The thread title and OP's name is rich pickin's for mirth in itself.

My second thought was Kiss Of The Spider Woman. The first involved soap.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
another view or opinion, anyone who can afford a "serious room" or expensive speakers.

can most likely afford the means to power them??
post #15 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela View Post

another view or opinion, anyone who can afford a "serious room" or expensive speakers.

can most likely afford the means to power them??

Huh?
post #16 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I looked at his theater thread (because i wanted to see what yamahas he had), and i saw he had an AT screen and what looked like a fairly serious room. Low efficiency conventional speakers wouldnt do it justice for home theater. A lot of selah speakers seem to have exceptionally low sensitivity, im sure they would do OKAY for home theater but imo i would keep them to 2 channel, its not a slight against selah just the reality of his room.

i was replying in reference to this post.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela View Post

i was replying in reference to this post.

Power is cheap, but that does not mean that the speakers will sound clean at higher levels even if supplied with a sufficiency of power. Speaking in general terms here as I have not heard the Selahs.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to make my room the best it can be, but also on a very limited budget. It has taken me over 2 and a half years to get where I am in the rooms construction. To save cash I've been doing everything by myself except for the carpet install and taping the drywall. This is why I'm looking at building my own speakers eventually, but I can't see that happening anytime in the next year. As far as power goes, my plan is to pick up a Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver to power my speakers.

The purpose of this thread was just say what a difference quality speakers really make and how hard it will be go back to my old ones. Craig's speakers sounded amazing, particularly the ones with the RAAL ribbon tweeter and the Scan-Speak Illuminator mids. It was my first taste at "audiophile" type speakers. I was amazed how loud you could listen to them without it straining your ears. They were so clean sounding, not harsh in the least. That was the biggest difference with my old Yamahas, I could only have the volume turned up for a little bit before my ears were fatigued. If I was doing a strictly 2 channel set-up, Craig would be the first person I'd talk to. I'd love to pick up one of his DIY kits for my living room. For my HT, I'm still in the air, but leaning towards the upgraded 4pi, when the time comes.

For the record, I work at a jail, I'm not a resident.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Any idea of an ETA for the Keele kits, Rick?
They are still waiting on the delivery of the tweeter modules. Other than that I think everything else is ready to go.

Selah Audio

post #20 of 21 Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

I actually just saw the JBL CBT at Cedia today. It was a tiny speaker. It was much bigger in my imagination. Unfortunately it wasn't being demo'd. I'm still a horn guy and the JBL K2 Synthesis room did little to change that view.

No problem on the comments. I'm not a customer of yours, but I know people who have had great dealings with you and I've followed your designs. I don't know where Omega's comment came from. Maybe he was confusing you with someone else. I just didn't want your name tarnished.

I've not had a chance to hear the JBL version. From what I know about it they designed it shorter than what I would for a PA application; however, that was probably to meet a pricepoint.

Selah Audio

post #21 of 21 Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I rate sensitivity conservatively; in fact, many manufacturers have been known to inflate this number by 3-4 db or more. I have array designs with good sensitivity (91-97db) as well as conventional designs in the 88-92db range.

Selah Audio

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page