Anarchy/Dayton TM build - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 356 Old 06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Pi, have you ever thought of starting a business? If so how much would you charge for something like this including stand. I have not seen any commercial work that surpasses your work yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 356 Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Beerparty--Thanks, Chris! I agree. The white ports look good on the light wood baffle. I'm glad I tried it.

JayHRC51--It is a combination of things, which produced a glass-smooth finish from the gun.
A good gun, adjusted properly makes a big difference.
Experience at spraying is a big contributor.
On the stands, I sprayed two clear coats over the color coat, then lightly power-sanded with P400, before spraying the final Topcoat.
I hope these tips help others get satisfying results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

PI, a very entertaining thread and some really wonderful work. The results speak for themselves.
One can see your energy & passion for the craft and it manifests itself with every project you apply your skills too.
It's not just the tools in the shop—although having quality tools makes the job of producing predictable, consistent results more feasible—but in my opinion, the real 'magic' lies in the operator's skills, vision and creative imagination more than anything else.
Nicely done!
Kevin

Wow! That's a really nice compliment! Thank you very much.
As much as I enjoy the work, I really enjoy sharing helpful tips and tricks more, so others can do the same.
I'm not particularly gifted in any way, so trust me when I say that if I can do it, you can do it.
You can hone your skills and vision with time and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Pi, have you ever thought of starting a business? If so how much would you charge for something like this including stand. I have not seen any commercial work that surpasses your work yet.

Wow! Another very nice compliment. You're very kind, sir. Thanks!
I haven't given any serious thought to starting a business, but thanks for suggesting it.
For now, I am happily enjoying this hobby.

I don't know what would be considered a fair price for this pair of speakers with stands, but I am really curious about that myself.
Here's why--I thought I would be kind and generous and offer them to a nephew for a college graduation gift (Ohio State), but he wasn't interested in them. He turned them down.

Because of that, I'd really like to know what people think they are worth.
I'd like to know the value of what he turned down.
Any idea of their worth, guys?

I'm not looking to sell them. I'm just really curious about what they might be worth.

The more I listen to them, the more I like them and I liked them plenty from the start, although I may have had a positional problem initially, which made me think I needed some equalization to accommodate the room. Now, I don't think they need anything at all. Also, I never did give the drivers a proper break-in period, so I know the suspensions are still pretty stiff.
post #333 of 356 Old 06-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
i'm really interested in building on of these
http://meniscusaudio.com/er18mtm-ribbon-p-1323.html
but i don't want to spend good money on drivers and have a ****** cab to go with it. i want a pretty personality on a pretty figure if you know what i meant.smile.gif
i been reading through many of threads to so what i could do but i don't have much confident. i'm pretty handy but i'm not skill-full. the devils is in the details.
post #334 of 356 Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 451
4 to 7 thousand dollars.

That nephew is nuts!
BacHolz likes this.
post #335 of 356 Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can i be your nephew?
post #336 of 356 Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

datranz--Those Seas/Fountek MLTLs you linked to should look and sound great. This is something you can do and get great looking results. I would paint the MDF cabs and I would use real wood--either stained and varnished or just varnished (or polyurethane) for the final front baffle piece and glue that in place afterward. If you're not certain that you can get good results painting the cab yourself, you can get an auto-body shop to spray them for you.

TuxedoCivic--Thanks for the estimate. That puts things into perspective.

Kemist1117--I'm contemplating swapping you out for the nephew I have, so yes! Uh-oh, I just got the evil-eye from my wife, so we might have to postpone the swap temporarily.
post #337 of 356 Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 124
PI,

I used to shape and glass surfboards for people at materials cost (when I used to have more time), and I was blown away when i made a pair of smaller bodyboards for a friend, posted pics on a surfboard building forum, and was told I could have fetched $3k for them. I sold them for $300 for the pair (agreed upon prior).

What you offer with custom work like this is something that no production company can do without incredible pricing. Companies simply cannot afford people that are that skilled, for such a limited market. Though you may underestimate your talent, you have experience that takes years to get, and customers are paying for those years in addition to the time it takes you to produce stuff like this.

The problem with starting a business in the very high end market for this and any other hi-end gear, is that buyers are limited, and marketing to reach them is not especially easy.

By sub-contracting your work through a designer like Rick Craig, Marshall Kay, Wayne Parham, etc., you may be able to get some $$ for the nice threads you always provide for us.

Or, ask Erich H over at diysoundgroup if you can post up your work, and say that you can offer to finish people's flatpacks for them for a fee.

JSS
post #338 of 356 Old 06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
haha at least i'd appreciate all your hard work biggrin.gif
post #339 of 356 Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I should clarity that my estimate is based on what the high end commercial sector would charge including the system as a whole based on its performance. Max raises a good point. Finding DIYers who would pay that would be tough. Finding typical consumers who would pay that without the name brand would also be tough. If your nephew wanted to go to a hi fi store a buy the equivalent thing, it would be at least 4k IMO.

Super nice biggrin.gif
post #340 of 356 Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, thanks guys. Again, it helps me to put things into perspective.
post #341 of 356 Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Man, I was so busy when I was in Dallas I didn't even think of asking to come see/hear these. blah. smile.gif I have a feeling I will regret that.
post #342 of 356 Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 10
If you were to make a few posts about the types of finishes and looks you could make available and figure out some type of fee list, I would definitely be interested in having you finish whatever I eventually buy from Erich/DIY Sound Group. Granted, I'll probably want something odd like a matte black baffle and royal blue enclosure...but that's just me. biggrin.gif (Obviously I'm single!)
post #343 of 356 Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Not a problem for PI, I would guess....

Transtint color palette:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/transtints-colors.htm

JSS
post #344 of 356 Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM

Hah! How about something extremely tacky like one maize (yellow) and one blue for some good ol' college spirit. biggrin.gif
post #345 of 356 Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilYoda View Post

If you were to make a few posts about the types of finishes and looks you could make available and figure out some type of fee list, I would definitely be interested in having you finish whatever I eventually buy from Erich/DIY Sound Group. Granted, I'll probably want something odd like a matte black baffle and royal blue enclosure...but that's just me. biggrin.gif (Obviously I'm single!)

^^^ And going to stay that way if you have those in your house.

post #346 of 356 Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Yeah...priorities, right? Pfffffffft.
post #347 of 356 Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Filtor1--Too bad you missed it this time, but the next time you're in Dallas, let me know.

Guys, I'm still getting caught up, so I can't take on other projects any time soon. But thanks for the suggestions.
post #348 of 356 Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Must have missed this one somehow - even though I have PI as one of my "Follow" people - maybe because I have no idea with this new forum software how you actually see what someone you "Follow" has been doing. mad.gif

Anyway, as usual Dusty, just ridiculous work. Wish I could veneer and finish that well. Maybe I need to actually graduate from rattle cans and rollers!
post #349 of 356 Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
I know this thread is a bit old but I have a question for PI.

What did you ever end up doing with those speakers?
If I was the family member you offerend them too I would have been doing backflips in the street. I still don't understand why he would turn down such a work of art.

Im looking forward to your next build thread.
Thanks
post #350 of 356 Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Brad and thanks Square88!

Square88--I don't understand why someone would turn them down, either.
I still have them and everyone who has seen them has commented on their appearance.
The first reaction is to put their hands on them and say, "Oh, that's nice! It's like a piece of fine furniture!"
Then when they hear them, they look shocked and say, "Wow!" Then they smile.

For now, I only listen to them occasionally.
But, my plan is to put them into the weight-room when it's ready.
Right now, I am shuffling rooms around and I might change my mind and put them in the den when it's done, instead.
I really like the way these sound and I will definitely build them again. Thanks again for asking about them.

I haven't sent out an open invitation to listen to these yet, because my house is pretty tore-up with all the projects in the works, but if someone really wants to hear them and can ignore the mess, drop me a note.

By the way, my next build project is here.
post #351 of 356 Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

You're talking about PSA discs. PSA pads are not commonly found on electric sanders/polishers. Some PSA pads are available for a few models of certain brands, but most of us who work in our garage at home go with what is more commonly available to us, which means Hook & Loop (velcro) discs. PSA pads are mostly found on pneumatic sanders. But, those typically require a huge amount of air flow, something on the order of 80 CFM. My 60 gallon tank is rated for 11 CFM. Or was it 13? Not enough, anyway.

Yes the Abralon discs are pricey, but I only use them for polishing, so they last me a pretty good while. If you are aware of some good, practical alternatives for home use that include P-1000, P-2000 and P-4000, let us know. Links would be helpful.

I'll start with something definitely worth knowing about.

Micro-Mesh 5" Hook & Loop no-hole sanding discs are available as a 9-disc set of 1 each of the following:

1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 grit.
Here
is a link. The price is shown as $17.99. I think I posted a build that used them for polishing. I don't post every build I do, so I can't say for sure if any of those projects got posted. You will definitely see them again in a future build.

Still not as good as $35 for 50-150 PSA disc rolls, but cheaper than Abralon discs. It's too bad the Micro-Mesh discs are not available in 6", or I would use them more often than I do, as I prefer the larger 6" size for sanding and polishing.

I try to show different alternatives, so people can decide for themselves what might work best for them and I welcome suggestions and ideas from others. We all learn from each other.

I just stumbled on this thread today. Been a few years since I was here.

Anyway, as I read through the thread, I noticed this post and figured I would follow up.

The Micro-Mesh is available in 6 inch size. I've only found it at their website. Also, you can get it with different hole patterns including for your Festool ETS. PSA or Velcro. No holes. Etc.

Micro-Mesh

I had a lot of curved surfaces and edges, so I also used an interface pad for my Festool.

Interface Pad

I had pretty good luck with the system. I was varnishing a wood boat and just couldn't keep the dust out of the finish. Hundreds of dollars of varnish were sanded off time and again trying to get it perfect.

The Micro-Mesh did away with that problem. It produces a satin finish which is definitely different than the natural varnish, but it is a good look as well.

post #352 of 356 Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick414 View Post

I just stumbled on this thread today. Been a few years since I was here.
Anyway, as I read through the thread, I noticed this post and figured I would follow up.
The Micro-Mesh is available in 6 inch size. I've only found it at their website. Also, you can get it with different hole patterns including for your Festool ETS. PSA or Velcro. No holes. Etc.
Micro-Mesh
I had a lot of curved surfaces and edges, so I also used an interface pad for my Festool.
Interface Pad
I had pretty good luck with the system. I was varnishing a wood boat and just couldn't keep the dust out of the finish. Hundreds of dollars of varnish were sanded off time and again trying to get it perfect.
The Micro-Mesh did away with that problem. It produces a satin finish which is definitely different than the natural varnish, but it is a good look as well.

Thanks for the tips on the 6" Micro Mesh and the Interface Pads.

Good-looking boat. It looks like you did a fine job on that.
post #353 of 356 Old 05-22-2014, 03:35 AM

Liked: 11

Yes same here - have the drivers on the shelf and interested in this project.

I can testify that the Anarchy has very tone/midrange (built a pair of Ansonica's)

Beautiful cabinets! 

post #354 of 356 Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I no longer have these Widow Makers. They became a wedding gift.

But, I plan on making another pair and some Ansonicas.
Plus, CJD--Ansonica designer--is planning a 3-way design with a pair of Anarchy woofers per cab and I want to build those, as well.
It will be interesting to compare the 2-way, 2.5-way and 3-way, all using Anarchy woofers.
post #355 of 356 Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

Thanks. I no longer have these Widow Makers. They became a wedding gift.

But, I plan on making another pair and some Ansonicas.
Plus, CJD--Ansonica designer--is planning a 3-way design with a pair of Anarchy woofers per cab and I want to build those, as well.
It will be interesting to compare the 2-way, 2.5-way and 3-way, all using Anarchy woofers.

That sounds really cool. When Zaph tested the Exodus Anarchy woofer, a couple things really stood out to me. 1- very low distortion in the bass and sub-bass region 2- plays very deep for the size. So using it as the bottom of a 3-way seems like a logical choice, and it plays well up high enough to give you some flexibility with crossover point and slope. I guess the only downside is the 3-way with 2 woofers per side will be a pretty expensive build. I look forward to seeing those!
post #356 of 356 Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow, blast from the past! I bought 4 Anarchy's when there was some buz about them - thinking there would be all kinds of designs started - and they have just been sitting around. Looking forward to using them for something!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page