Anarchy/Dayton TM build - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PI, Your making some outstanding looking cabinets, Your craftmanship is suburb........but a question for you, have you tested a completed/built system
to see how they sound.....seems no one has done just that. Maybe a mock-up. Lot of work for an un-tested project......I have the drivers and Im interested in this project but Im waiting for an opinion on its SQ. The other option I have is to use the woofers for the Tapped Horn Sub.
Thanks BobC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Joe--A shop vac has better suction. A Dust Collector moves a larger volume of air. A planer, jointer, table saw and band saw and even a router produce a large volume of chips and dust very quickly and shop vacs are easily overwhelmed and unable to keep up. The only reason I can get away with using a shop vac (on occasion) on the DeWalt DW735 surface planer, is because the 735 has its own built-in blower, which blows air and chips out with enough CFM to inflate the bag on my small dust collector, if I have it connected, but turn on the planer before I turn on the DC. I don't use the shop vac on the planer often, because a DC is a much better match. I just get a little lazy sometimes when going back and forth between the planer and jointer.

Bill Pentz has a lot more very useful information about dust collection on his site. He even has some excellent DC DIY info.

Thanks for the comments... i might check out the dust collector on sale at the new Harbor Freight that opened near me today. That Bill Pentz site is really great, but i'm not sure i'm up to the task of a custom DC build. He's got some really detailed plans but i think it's beyond me. I like his DIY downdraft table idea using pegboard. The cleanup after my last build was more work than the build itself, so i have to do something about dust before my next project. Thanks for the pointers,
post #123 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstslamd View Post

If you want black ports use black abs pipe instead of PVC. Home depot carries it. Just a little food for thought.

Thanks for pointing that out. And of course it can be ordered online, as well. PE stocks it. This could be helpful to others reading this thread. As for myself, I didn't want these ports black, but I thought I might darken them a bit and go for a medium to dark brown. But, the more I look at them, the more I think I like the white ports.

upsman3--I haven't heard them yet, but if you're any where near the Dallas area, you can come and hear them yourself once they're done. Otherwise, you will at least get some listening impressions from me and maybe a few others. By the way, there are a few other designs which use the Anarchy. Do a search and you will find some. CJD's Ansonicas are floor-standers which use 2 Anarchy's per cab and they were voted the one which most people wanted to take home with them at last year's Indiana DIY event. So, you have other options. Also, Danny of GR Research has a mini-monitor design, which uses a 0.5 cubic foot cab (this one uses a 0.75).

Edit: Hey, I just noticed that this is your very first post, upsman3. Welcome aboard, man! I hope you share here often. We all learn from each other.
post #124 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I added just three drops of Honey-Amber Trans-Tint dye to a quart of the shellac to enhance the cross-grain figure in the Ash wood and to add a little warmth, as well.

A one-gallon can seems a good fit.

I sprayed a coat of untinted shellac on the rest of the cabinet.

post #125 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 10
I just found this thread, and am I excited! I am interested in building a tall floorstander(like Polk A9 or Aperion Grand), but have not found anything for curved cabinet design till now. You did lose me thoough. What did you do with the inner "structural?" baffle when placing the final speaker baffle in place? Cut out first? Cut how? Speaker holes or perimeter? Thanks, and love the cabs! I wonder how I would do a 4 footer? More curvomatics?
post #126 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I'll be paying close attention to this part.
post #127 of 356 Old 04-14-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FranksAVR--The inner baffle, made from 1/2" plywood, is still in place. I just made pass-through holes in it for the drivers and port. I oversized the woofer pass through a bit, to allow the driver to breathe. I oversized the tweeter pass through as well and that's why you can't see the inner baffle in the pictures after the Ash wood was added. I used a hole saw to cut the tweeter and port pass through holes. I used a router and Jasper circle jig to cut the woofer pass through.

As for curving panels for a taller enclosure, Big Jim can give you a better answer than I can. I hope he is still following the thread. I understand that you can buy taller Curvomatics. Also, you can get extendable versions, which allow you to adjust the height. Take a look at the videos on their web site and you'll see what I mean. I think the extendable version would be a great way to go, for the added versatility.

I hope this answered your question as well, TC.
post #128 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that's interesting.

The tweeter fits, except I need to notch a little for the connectors. I knew that already from my test routes in some scrap.
But, the woofer hole is a little undersized. I guess I must have accidentally marked the wrong pin-hole in the circle jig.

I'm actually glad this happened, because it gives me a chance to demonstrate a solution, which might be useful to others, should this ever happen to anyone else.

post #129 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not nearly ready to install the drivers, as I've only barely begun on the finish. But, I wanted to mark the screw holes for the drivers.

I may as well go ahead and mark the holes for the tweeters.

And mark the notch locations.

post #130 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick and easy solution.

Now we can mark the screw holes for the woofers.

post #131 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I almost forgot--here is the Top Bearing Bit I used with the template, to increase the woofer hole size. The operation took about 8 minutes.

post #132 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Very nice work PI, and great info as always.

I need to pick up one of those top bearing flush trim bits, my method for holes that are slightly undersized usually involves a large hole saw wrapped in sandpaper.
post #133 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, mtg90.

When I did the tweeter notches on the first cab, I went a little farther than I'd like. I still might have gotten a good seal when I installed the tweeter, but I wanted to be sure. A little epoxy putty hardens in an hour.

Now to mount the cabs on finishing stands.
This gets a 3/4" Black Pipe feed-through hole.

This is a little undersized, so I can use the black pipe to cut threads into it.

This gives you some idea of where I'm heading with this.

I went ahead and routed the epoxy putty flat.

Secure the threaded part to the inside back.

The strips will go under the vertical braces and the square piece will go above them and screws will squeeze them together. This will allow me to loosen and adjust to center as needed.

Mounts are done and the cabs are ready for the finishing stands.

The first coat of MinWax Oil-Modified Water Based Polyurethane.

post #134 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey PI,

Wow, that's scary looking at that. I'd be scared one of them would fall and go splat on the concrete

Very nice looking.

What your thoughts on a hardwood baffle. Everything claims solid wood with expand and contract. You obviously aren't worried?
post #135 of 356 Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TC--You're right. Solid wood will expand and contract with changes in humidity and it can stress joints and even ruin a project over time. I'm not concerned about that, since the solid wood baffle is not part of the joinery which makes up the cabinet. It's just glued onto the front. The rest of the cabinet is plywood and MDF (the curved sides). Both are much more stable than solid wood, so the structure of the cabinet should be sound for a long time to come.

A second consideration would be cupping or bowing, but the fronts are glued to 1/2" plywood, which is itself braced reasonably well to prevent movement and the glue has been tested to be stronger than the wood.

The only concern with these small solid wood fronts is the extremely slight amount of movement showing up like a glue-line transmitting through a finish. But since I'm treating the fronts separately anyway with a different color and a clear line of demarcation, I don't think it will detract from the overall effect I am after.

Having said all that, I am spraying a water-based finish on them and I might be in for an unpleasant surprise after all. If so, I will address the issue if need be and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

That was a very good question you had, TC. Thanks for asking.
post #136 of 356 Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Good feedback thanks. Look forward to the rest of this.
post #137 of 356 Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
PI, I think the main concern with solid wood baffles is the drivers. The solid wood will expand and contract based on changes in humidity, but the steal frame of the drivers will not.

One (unlikely but possible) effect of this is if your recessed drivers are too tight and then the wood contacts; it could cause the wood to split. That is extremely unlikely IMHO, the tolerances would have to be, well, even you are not that good...

The more likely effect is that the screws will loosen as the wood expands and contracts. If the drivers loosen up enough, the seal will be broken and an air gap will form (which will mess up the tuning of your cabinet). As long as you are using a good gasket material, gaps around the drivers when the screws loosen shouldn't be a problem. They will start rattling before the air gap forms. And then, a few seconds with a screwdriver will fix them right up.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #138 of 356 Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12
Maybe a good candidate for some hurricane nuts so that he can maybe use a tiny tiny but of loctite?
post #139 of 356 Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beerparty--The expansion/contraction against the drivers if the cutouts are too tight could be a valid concern, but screws have been used in wood joinery for a long time without worry. Pocket screw joinery is popular to this day, especially in solid wood face-frames. So, I'm not worried about the screws. Great ideas though. It's always good to try to anticipate possible problems. Thanks, Chris.
post #140 of 356 Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 11
Any update? the boxes are looking very good.
post #141 of 356 Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square88 View Post

Any update? the boxes are looking very good.

Thanks, man!

I got busy with other things, so no updates yet.
Plus, I had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday morning, so I probably won't resume work on these until next week. For now, I'm just taking it easy.
post #142 of 356 Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

For now, I'm just taking it easy.

Not a bad idea. I may follow your lead on that
post #143 of 356 Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 912
the method for opening up the undersized enclosure cutout is elegant as is the cyclone dust collector. there are so many great tips in your threads...i always wondered what gave some cuts of wood that cross grain 'figuring', now i know.

did you use your vacuum system to apply the veneer on this project or another method?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #144 of 356 Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, LTD02!

I did not use the vacuum press on this project, because I wanted to show that you can accomplish not only the bending of the curved sides with the Curvomatic, but also the application of the veneer, and that you can both curve and veneer in a single step. I thought that might be important for anyone trying to decide if the Curvomatic is really worth the investment.

Just to clarify a bit, I curved the first two sides without veneer, just to get a feel for using the Curvomatic, then I curved and veneered in a single step for the second two sides. After that, I veneered the first two sides with the Curvomatic.

For veneering the tops, bottoms and backs, I clamped the cabs together, so each acted as a clamping caul for the other--top to top, bottom to bottom and back to back. A piece of 1/4" MDF separated the cabs and waxed paper acted as a barrier for glue seepage.
post #145 of 356 Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hey PI. I see this project over on the Curvomatic site. Are you going to write up a review too?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #146 of 356 Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Hey PI. I see this project over on the Curvomatic site. Are you going to write up a review too?

Oh cool, I'm international!

I haven't been asked to write up a review, but my experience with the Curvomatic has been very positive. I am very pleased with it.
post #147 of 356 Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 912
my bad pi, i went back 3 pages...should have gone the whole way back.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #148 of 356 Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ready to scuff-sand and shoot a tint coat.

post #149 of 356 Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What can I say? Stunning work there PI.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #150 of 356 Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

What can I say? Stunning work there PI.

Thanks, Chris!

Prepping for a tint coat.

I mixed it pretty weak, so I can darken it a little bit at a time in steps. It should take me three coats to get the look I want. Folks, this is the one time when you really don't want any drips, runs or sags, because you will never sand the tint coat evenly enough to make it blend--stripping it off and starting over is your only option.

Also, AVS forum member MaxMercy cautioned that the Trans-Tint dyes are pretty poisonous, so protect your health when you spray.

Ready for action. It's pretty windy today, so I closed the garage and sprayed inside. I'll open the garage and get a photo after it dries. I don't want any pollen or dust to settle into the finish.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page