a signal conversion box shootout!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 107 Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Alright, so within the next week I will have a third contender. I wanted to put this feeler out for anyone else who may have some suggestions or boxes to add to the mix should you want to ship it to me and get in on the shootout.

So far I will be testing:

Cleanbox pro - known issues below 20hz with the standard cleanbox, nothing concrete on the PRO model that I can find.

Henry Engineering Matchbox HD touting DC-20khz +/- .25db!!!!

AT Matchmaker MM100 - expensive new but many at a good value to be had used. pretty respectable response here too.

Let me know any others that you may want me to test and ill split the shipping with you. I will be using REW loopback with each in line on the Behringer UCA 202 external soundcard which ive already tested as about as flat as you can get.

If this is already been done elsewhere then ill just test what I got and call it a day

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
behringer mic2200?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 107 Old 10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Doesn't Samson make one that folks have used? I seem to remember it testing better than the Cleanbox.

Jim
post #4 of 107 Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Will you be modding the cleanbox for sub 20hz content
post #5 of 107 Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

behringer mic2200?

Dont have one, if you want to send it id be happy to test and send it back on my dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

Doesn't Samson make one that folks have used? I seem to remember it testing better than the Cleanbox.

Jim

Yes, and they do test better than the cleanbox, but they are pretty hard to come by these days as they arent being produced anymore IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Will you be modding the cleanbox for sub 20hz content

No, fan modding is the extent to which my "modding" skills go, oh and putting in new ram in a PC, no soldering or board modding for me. I just want people to get a good idea of what each unit is capable of out of the box.

post #6 of 107 Old 10-29-2011, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have seen the schematics for the cleanbox and rolls, IIRC, almost identical.
Not my favorite designs - basic. I posted the high pass filter mod years ago so peeps can try to enjoy that cleanbox for sub use. haha.. it's good for that.

But the circuit design that mimicks my style goes to the Matchbox HD, that design is refined. Without any testing, that's my choice of the three I mentioned hands down.

The storm was gone, but dark clouds still hung around
The perfect setting for things to come......

post #7 of 107 Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I wonder if one of these will work with my computer line outs. But the L/R line out is the same out so maybe not. I would love to figure out a way though to get a true XLR out from my computer to then go to power amps.

And with the new Oppo 95 that would be nice with a few of these Matchbox HD's for 8 channels.

post #8 of 107 Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

ok so also have a samson s-convert coming. should be a pretty good little shootout once this is all done.

post #9 of 107 Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

ok so also have a samson s-convert coming. should be a pretty good little shootout once this is all done.

Can I buy this from you when your done
post #10 of 107 Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Can I buy this from you when your done

Absolutely, assuming it doesnt measure leaps and bounds better than all the rest In which case, I will be using it over the others. To that end however, with the exception of one, maybe two of the units tested, all will be for sale once the shootout is done.

post #11 of 107 Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would like to see the Aphex 124A but don't have one to ship to you.

http://www.aphex.com/products/124a/
post #12 of 107 Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post

looks like nice unit, with good quoted response, for a price though. having the optional rackmounts will show value for some as well. At that price I wont be able to order one in just to test and resell as the resale prices on ebay are well below the retail. Ill gladly add it to the shootout if anyone does have one they want to send to me

post #13 of 107 Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post

yikes, $240

for a few $ more you can get enough output voltage along with 1600W (Peavey IPR 1600)

Noah
post #14 of 107 Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 10
What ever happened with the shootout? Any updates? I'm debating between the Aphex 124a, and the Henry matchbox, the ART cleanboxpro, and the Rolls MB15. Would be sweet to see the results.
post #15 of 107 Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I sold beastaudio my Matchbox HD and Samson S-convert several months ago so I know he has some units to test.
post #16 of 107 Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

I know I know, Ive been too busy building speakers and such to really get the shootout going. A little premature on my part to post about it and not follow through. I still have all the boxes to test, just havent gotten around to it. Sorry to keep you all hanging, but my bass issues have been on the front burner while this has moved to the back for a bit.

post #17 of 107 Old 03-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Beast,
Whatever happened with this?
I ended up getting a great deal on a new Matchbox HD and have my unbalanced mono RCA going into a RCA Y and then into the HD. Balanced XLR out from HD to balanced miniDSP, balanced XLR out of miniDSP to EP4000 amp and then 2 bare wire runs to my two DIY Dayton 18" subs (not co-located).

post #18 of 107 Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Does anyone know anything about the mod for the Art Clean-box? I have one laying around and would like to modify it to perform better with sub-20hz content. I am not sure if there is a difference but mine is a clean-box, not the Pro version.
post #19 of 107 Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Beast,
Whatever happened with this?
I ended up getting a great deal on a new Matchbox HD and have my unbalanced mono RCA going into a RCA Y and then into the HD. Balanced XLR out from HD to balanced miniDSP, balanced XLR out of miniDSP to EP4000 amp and then 2 bare wire runs to my two DIY Dayton 18" subs (not co-located).

And what do ya think? Like it?

I never did this shootout as I ran into problems with my internal souncard just getting in the way, and external soundcard not picking up anymore. I should be getting a new PC here in the next few weeks and I will still gladly do the shootout. I am much more capable of doing it correctly now too, so hopefully the results will be much more definitive. Glad there is still interest out there in this! Sorry it has taken me close to a year and a half to get this shootout going, haha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Does anyone know anything about the mod for the Art Clean-box? I have one laying around and would like to modify it to perform better with sub-20hz content. I am not sure if there is a difference but mine is a clean-box, not the Pro version.

Don't know about the mod, sorry dude...

post #20 of 107 Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Modifying the original cleanbox (if that's what you have), this is the thread you want: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/5310-art-cleanbox-mod-thread.html

AFAIK, the Pro model doesn't need it...FR 20Hz to 20Khz +/-1dB: http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/audio_solutions/product/cleanbox_pro/ I'm using this one and it works great.

post #21 of 107 Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Beast...hopefully getting subs hooked up this weekend.
Because of run distances, possible voltage/balanced/unbalanced issues,and just wanting the convenience of the Matchbox HD, I couldn't turn down the deal on the hardware.
Will post findings and pics in my build thread....have been VERY delayed with progress on this...but finally on the move again.
rolleyes.gif

post #22 of 107 Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Thanks for posting that link RobotBunny! I am going to RadioShack to pick up some new caps to mod my Cleanbox. And BTW- no, mine is not the pro version, but rather, the original cleanbox.
post #23 of 107 Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I have used this unit with great success. I would love to see how its stacks up to the others but you cant have mine... biggrin.gif

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI4000.aspx

post #24 of 107 Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Thanks for posting that link RobotBunny! I am going to RadioShack to pick up some new caps to mod my Cleanbox. And BTW- no, mine is not the pro version, but rather, the original cleanbox.

It's a super simple mod, I've done about 15 of them. I gave m,y last one away about 3 months ago to a friend and wish I still had it lol. They can come in handy.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #25 of 107 Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the Samson S convert, the Aphex 124 as well as the henry engineering matchbox hd. The S convert is suppose to roll off a 10 hz the Aphex at 5 hz and the HD good to zero. I recently put the aphex in place of the samson and Noticed a very pleasant improvement in the bass that you can feel! and a bit better lower end. I will try out the henry hd box eventually, but seeing as My amplifiers roll off at 5hz for sub audio protection, I doubt I will hear the difference

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #26 of 107 Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just acquired Samson s-convert unit. Connected it to Crown XLS1000 amp but notice speaker noise through the subs. It does not appear to be ground loop. Do I need to lower the gain on the Samson unit? Lowering the gain does make the noise lower but just want to make sure that does not compromise the Samson units performance. The amp gain controls are at full.

Vinod
post #27 of 107 Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

lower one of the two and see which removes more noise. Odds are with the samson that you will not need either of the gains to be maxed out.

post #28 of 107 Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Are there any signal converters/boosters that wont significantly increase background noise? Or will you always get a higher noise floor/increased background noise when you boost signal voltage?
post #29 of 107 Old 12-12-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Lowered the gain on Samson unit a bit with reduction in noise. Left amp gains at full. Now time to calibrate.

Vinod
post #30 of 107 Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Good deal. Yea, the bump boxes are all a delicate setup. If you don't have gain structure perfect, you suffer biggrin.gif

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page