B215XL or DIY options better? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I know I don't post often, but I read everyday. The title is basically the question I am looking to answer.

I was considering an Ewave design, then Erich's projects had me waiting for a better option, like the SEOS ideas. I definitely want to get something like Penn says is very dynamic. I am a movie/game fan, with an occasional music session. Currently have Jamo fronts, and my room is roughly 15X37 with 10' ceilings. Dedicated, so aesthetics are not important.

The screen wall is 15' btw.

The Behringer B212XL or B215XL are really cheap, and there are others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

No recommendations?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theLuvofHD View Post

No recommendations?

I was following this to see what came back. I have not heard the Behringers, but I am super excited about the SEOS and all the designs that will come out of the collaboration effort. I ordered some td12ms on the group buy and am waiting to see what flat pack options may come out or I will start to build the cabinets during Thanksgiving.

I like the idea of having the high efficiency design with plenty of dynamic headroom at least in the LCR. Sorry I have no other input other than I think the SEOS and especially all of the designs that come out of its development will be worth waiting for.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

I was following this to see what came back. I have not heard the Behringers, but I am super excited about the SEOS and all the designs that will come out of the collaboration effort. I ordered some td12ms on the group buy and am waiting to see what flat pack options may come out or I will start to build the cabinets during Thanksgiving.

I like the idea of having the high efficiency design with plenty of dynamic headroom at least in the LCR. Sorry I have no other input other than I think the SEOS and especially all of the designs that come out of its development will be worth waiting for.

Thanks! That's definitely got me hanging on too for the past few months.
I just didn't know what the differences would be except the cabinet material and what not. I've not put much time into pro audio speakers, bur the the price of the Begringers it is tempting.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I'd guess you aren't getting much feedback because not many people have experience with the B215XL. I wouldn't have particularly high hopes for a $200 PA speaker. Beyond that, it is very difficult to compare speakers, especially with a very limited budget. Any speaker at $200, DIY, hifi or pro is going to have pretty significant compromises. It becomes a question of what you want to compromise.

There aren't any SEOS designs available yet. Most of the 12-15" woofers people will use with the SEOS will approach the $200 price tag of the Behringer. That is at a minimum. Most people will use woofers that are in the $250-400 range and compression drivers in the $100-200 range. There really isn't a comparison to be made there. In a nutshell they are about as similar as a Mercedes and a Civic.

I'm not knocking the Behringer. It might be a diamond in the rough, but it is still a $200 low-end PA speaker.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

I'd guess you aren't getting much feedback because not many people have experience with the B215XL. I wouldn't have particularly high hopes for a $200 PA speaker. Beyond that, it is very difficult to compare speakers, especially with a very limited budget. Any speaker at $200, DIY, hifi or pro is going to have pretty significant compromises. It becomes a question of what you want to compromise.

There aren't any SEOS designs available yet. Most of the 12-15" woofers people will use with the SEOS will approach the $200 price tag of the Behringer. That is at a minimum. Most people will use woofers that are in the $250-400 range and compression drivers in the $100-200 range. There really isn't a comparison to be made there. In a nutshell they are about as similar as a Mercedes and a Civic.

I'm not knocking the Behringer. It might be a diamond in the rough, but it is still a $200 low-end PA speaker.

Thanks! That's the feedback I was looking for. I don't know why I feel the Behringer is a good speaker. It is highly reviewed, but not by folks who are using it for HT.

I do want something like the SEOS, so the driver prices aren't scaring me. It's just that I'm getting ants in my pants just waiting. Oh well. I've been looking at JBL speaker too, but can't find a set of 3, it always seems to be pairs. And if I could locate 2 pairs of the identical speaker I'd be golden, but have failed thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement