where to find OC 703 for DIY corner traps? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
DIY Speakers and Subs > where to find OC 703 for DIY corner traps?
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 02:40 PM 11-30-2011
more and more i look at it, more and more it makes sense to just do the whole front wall 4 inches thick and trap the corner THAT way...

mannoiaj's Avatar mannoiaj 06:23 PM 11-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

that roxul they have is much cheaper than the OC703, is it's absorption coefficient the same? How about the atsacoustics brand?

I don't know about absorption coefficient. I know the stuff I bought was "supposedly" very comparable to the OC703... the same stuff that I linked you to. I will say that it did what I wanted it to building an 8 ft tall corner bass trap. I also bought some 4' x 2' wall panels. I will post pics if you're interested, and I believe ATS to be a brand that is honest and going about making a buck in the right way.
maxserg's Avatar maxserg 07:31 PM 11-30-2011
Contact owens corning for a local distributor. Usually they don't sell for public but for the guys who work in ventilation or air conditionning systems.
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 07:52 PM 11-30-2011
Roxul AFB 4":

125 250 500 1K 2K 4K
0.86 1.11 1.20 1.07 1.08 1.07

OC 703 4"

125 250 500 1K 2K 4K
0.84 1.24 1.24 1.08 1.00 0.97

beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 08:10 AM 12-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Roxul AFB 4":

125 250 500 1K 2K 4K
0.86 1.11 1.20 1.07 1.08 1.07

OC 703 4"

125 250 500 1K 2K 4K
0.84 1.24 1.24 1.08 1.00 0.97

yep I saw that in the chart, ive expanded my search to include this as well, but as I said above, now im just looking at doing the whole front wall with 4inch panels. that outa prevent any reflections right now I have some 2'x4' 2 inch thick panels behind the front stage, but they dont extend all the way to the corners.
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 08:33 AM 12-01-2011
SPI

Specialty products, I have one local quoted me 703 unfaced $55 a pack couple months ago...

http://www.spi-co.com/

search for local office to U.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 07:13 AM 12-05-2011
ok so how about rear wall, its about 29 feet from front wall, doesnt have available corners as a hallway extends down one way, and a staircase up the other corner, so what do you think, do I need 2 inch or 4 inch panels on the walls there? How about down the hallway? Think that would have any benefit as there would be nothing more than possible a 3rd or 4th order reflection anyways?
kingpin111's Avatar kingpin111 08:33 AM 12-05-2011
I did the same as another poster.
All 4 corners of the room.

From what I was told you can compress different sections to absorb different frequencies.

jsil 10:24 AM 12-06-2011
Hi guys,
I'm in CA and was wondering if anyone now's where to find a dealer out here thanks.
exojam's Avatar exojam 10:28 AM 12-06-2011
Check the link in post 36 to see if there is a local company for you.

James
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 12:22 PM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Hi guys,
I'm in CA and was wondering if anyone now's where to find a dealer out here thanks.

I used MacArthur Co, they were quite helpful - good prices, and I could order by the sheet vs. the bundle. Looks like they have an office in San Jose:

http://www.macarthurco.com/contact-us
jsil 02:40 PM 12-06-2011
Brad Horstkotte,

Called them and they have it in stock thanks.
jsil 11:01 AM 12-07-2011
Where can I get a step by step on building bass traps and panels to hang on walls. What about the space between the wall and panels.
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 12:31 PM 12-07-2011
Quote:

Where can I get a step by step on building bass traps and panels to hang on walls. What about the space between the wall and panels.

Here's a good resource for making the SuperChunk style of corner absorbers: http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

Building panels is pretty easy really, you build a wooden frame, cover it with fabric (staple to the back of the frame), and rigid insulation fits in behind the fabric. Looking here might give you some ideas:

http://www.acoustimac.com/index.php/...ic-panels.html
localhost127's Avatar localhost127 01:29 PM 12-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. They should be called midbass traps, as that's as low as they're effective to. They're called bass traps as they help control boom, which is associated with bass, although actually sourced in the midbass.

this is not accurate.
effectively designed and placed porous absorption can make an impact down to 40hz.
localhost127's Avatar localhost127 01:34 PM 12-07-2011
as FOH stated, materials with low gas-flow resistivity (eg, pink fluffy attic insulation) are most effective for LF bass traps compared to OC703, OC705, etc.

even 34" corner chunks made with pink fluffy will perform better. if you stack cuts of pink fluffy, you need to add horizontal support every few feet such that the weight of the upper layers do not compress the layers at the bottom.

it is more wise to 'hang' the pink fluffy from the ceiling down, such that there is no need for the horizontal supports or compression.

eg, if you have an 8ft ceiling, then you will hang the first piece from the ceiling (8ft tall) all the way into the corner. you will need to cut the width down to say, 4" or so for the first first layer that is deepest into the corner. the next layer you hang (as the corner opens up), will be slightly wider (8"), and then keep adding layers until you are at 34" wide (faced), or extend even further if you have the room.

while it may seem unconventional that lower GFR material is more effective at LF absorption, like many things in acoustics, what is assumed or intuitive is not always correct.

use the cheaper (and more effective) pink fluffy attic insulation for corner porous bass traps, and save the expensive OC703 for broadband specular reflection absorbers.
localhost127's Avatar localhost127 01:42 PM 12-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Note how the ultra touch cotton has very good absorption--see if your local Home Depot has it

anyone referencing those absorption coefficients needs to pay care to the 2nd paragraph on that page.

it is important to understand what those values mean - reverberant chamber coefficients can be used as a comparison to other products - but those values are not directly applicable to a small acoustical space such as your room.
jsil 02:50 PM 12-08-2011
Where are you guys buying your fabric from.
S_rangeBrew's Avatar S_rangeBrew 03:33 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:

Hi guys,

Just look in the Yellow Pages for "HVAC" or "Heating and Cooling" suppliers. THEY are the people who use most of this rigid fiberglass insulation for covering heating and cooling ducts. They are usually located in your local industrial park along with all the other suppliers of contractors.

I had a hell of a time finding this stuff until I followed the advice I just gave you. It's very cheap. A few bucks a sheet. Warning: the pros price it by cubic foot. So be prepared to say something like: "I need 16cubic feet of rigid fiberboard insulation" for them to understand you. They may give you an option of thickness, but my local HVAC warehouse only had 2" stuff in stock.

If you are ordering it online or driving 2 hours to get it... you are doing it wrong. HVAC suppliers are everywhere.

Quote:

Go to your local fabric store and look for thin polyester (also know as Gabardine by some) in the color you want. You will often see people referring to "Guilford of Maine" acoustical cloth like it's something special. It's not. It's just polyester cloth. Depending on building codes, (and if you even care about them) you may need to make sure the cloth has the proper fire resistance.

Acoustic treatments are dirt cheap, if you know where to look for the stuff.

I just wrapped the cloth over the panels and secured it with sewing stick pins (you know, the ones you have to remove from new clothes) then impaled them on the wall on a row of finish nails I tacked partway in to the wall at an angle. Rock solid, lightweight, easy to move, simple and cheap.
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 05:15 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:

triple velvet (screen wall): syfabrics.com
speaker cloth (column faces - in front of speakers): rosebrand.com
Guilford of Maine (wall panels): fabricmate.com
Commando Cloth (soffit): magnafabrics.com
marine vinyl (column sides): allvinylfabrics.com
jsil 10:43 AM 12-20-2011
Going to start building me some bass traps. Better to use 2" or 4" for corner bass traps.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 02:56 PM 07-03-2013
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 04:29 PM 10-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post
Mineral wool also works well for superchunks - I used Roxul AFB, Safe N Sound is about the same I believe. It cuts easily with an electric carving knife ($15 at Target), stacks just like OC 703 so doesn't need any special support, and is usually cheaper.

Or just follow this guy and hope some of it falls off his truck:

Did you take this picture... I laffed.

On a side note... any updates on a good place to buy this stuff?
Brad Horstkotte's Avatar Brad Horstkotte 04:38 PM 10-10-2014
Haha yeah, took that picture driving to work one day (yeah I know, naughty boy).

The place I bought it from is called MacArthur Co. - macarthurco.com . Check their website for locations.
MarvinTheMartian's Avatar MarvinTheMartian 06:07 PM 10-10-2014
Classic DIY acoustic panel construction..........enjoy
DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!
Shawn
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 07:20 PM 10-10-2014
Local construction supply stores. Call around.
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 04:25 AM 10-11-2014
What would you guys recommend for covering a baffle wall with for absorption? Would OC703 be optimal? What about Safe-N-Sound?

Can anyone recommend a decent place to purchase OC703 online? I live in a rural area and the closest metropolitan area is Memphis Tennessee, but, even that is 2 hours away. I would definitely be willing to drive to Memphis, though, if I could find it cheaper.
mlah384's Avatar mlah384 09:08 AM 10-11-2014
Does a bass trap have to be in the room? Or can it be in the wall behind Sheetrock? Or can you put them in attic along top edges of room ceiling?
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 12:09 PM 10-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
What would you guys recommend for covering a baffle wall with for absorption? Would OC703 be optimal? What about Safe-N-Sound?

Can anyone recommend a decent place to purchase OC703 online? I live in a rural area and the closest metropolitan area is Memphis Tennessee, but, even that is 2 hours away. I would definitely be willing to drive to Memphis, though, if I could find it cheaper.

There's a lot of guys that have used Linacoustics with good results to treat their front walls.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 07:00 AM 10-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
There's a lot of guys that have used Linacoustics with good results to treat their front walls.
Check the DIY theater section
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop