where to find OC 703 for DIY corner traps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 718
about how much is a case of this stuff in 2x2 sheets? I would cut each in triangular halves and wrap in black fabric but I dont seem to see anywhere in asheville that carries. Definitely neither big box. might have to look around for some small boutique spots. would doing floor to ceiling be THAT much better than just 4 feet up the wall or so?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i bought it online from Acoustimac. Shipping added ~1/6 to cost of 6 2" x2'x4' sheets delivered to Chape Hill in < 1 week. (705 is denser than 703...)

Owens Corning 705 Rigid Fiberglass 2" thick OC705 1 $128.00
Subtotal $128.00
Shipping & Handling $26.00
Grand Total $154.00
post #3 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

is that a full case? I would need approximately double that to go floor to ceiling. which gets me up over $300 in cost. Tr-traps from GIC arent even that much but would only cover 4 feet instead of floor to ceiling. I guess my question would be, how much better would the DIY floor to ceiling be vs the 4 foot tri-traps? I could just shove the sub boxes all the way in each corner and put the GIC tri-traps on top of them, which might be my only option as im not positive I have 2 feet of real estate in the corner before the sub boxes take over, also, one corner I couldnt go all the way to the floor anyways as there is an intake for my HVAC in that corner...RATS

post #4 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Check for a local distributor of the OC703. When I ordered 3 boxes, each containing 12 pieces of 2x2'x4' I was able to pay less than $250 for them.

James
post #5 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
http://www.spi-co.com/directory.html

look for something near you--this was cheapest place by far
post #6 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

http://www.spi-co.com/directory.html

look for something near you--this was cheapest place by far

2 1/2 hours, wow. round trip with gas im still gonna be jacking up the cost per panel...

post #7 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
That is where I ordered mine (spi-co) and they charged 25 dollars for delivery. I am not sure where the product was shipped from though so it may be a bit more for you. Call them up and ask if they deliver.

One thing to keep in mind is after they delivered them they had stated they were only supposed to deliver to a place of business, not a residential home. The only reason I found this out is I had to call them back since there truck took down some lines outside my house.

James
post #8 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Check for a local distributor of the OC703. When I ordered 3 boxes, each containing 12 pieces of 2x2'x4' I was able to pay less than $250 for them.

James

yes; look for insulation distributors in your area

Noah
post #9 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Why not use rolls of normal fiberglass insulation, stacked up in the corner with a pole/rod through the middle to hold them in place? Wrap it in fabric and instead of having a triangle, you have a column.

YID DIY
post #10 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Why not use rolls of normal fiberglass insulation.

The coefficient of resistivity is not the same.
Type 700 is used in ceiling tiles, just strip away the plastic facing. It's only 5/8" or so thick, so you need to use layers, but it's readily available just about anywhere.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
bass corner traps with thin insulation board?

if i understand the physics of this, you have to be in the velocity zone of wave to absorb much of anything with bass traps--1/4 wavelength. at 40hz, that is about 6.5 feet out into the room, no?

?desufnoc

Listen. It's All Good.
post #12 of 52 Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Mineral wool also works well for superchunks - I used Roxul AFB, Safe N Sound is about the same I believe. It cuts easily with an electric carving knife ($15 at Target), stacks just like OC 703 so doesn't need any special support, and is usually cheaper.

Or just follow this guy and hope some of it falls off his truck:

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #13 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

that looks a lot more lumpy, is the stuff that guy has on the truck the same stuff you used?

post #14 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

bass corner traps with thin insulation board?

if i understand the physics of this, you have to be in the velocity zone of wave to absorb much of anything with bass traps--1/4 wavelength. at 40hz, that is about 6.5 feet out into the room, no?

?desufnoc

desufnoc? not sure what that means.

at 40hz yes, you would be right, but further into the passband of the sub, the upper bass and reflection of even frequencies from your mains will benefit from corner traps. why they are called bass traps in general im not sure, as they are obviously much more efficient at the upper freqs

post #15 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

why they are called bass traps in general im not sure, as they are obviously much more efficient at the upper freqs

+1. They should be called midbass traps, as that's as low as they're effective to. They're called bass traps as they help control boom, which is associated with bass, although actually sourced in the midbass.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #16 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
It's my understanding the thicker one attempts to DIY a bass trap, the more effective the less expensive pink fluffy variety becomes. With excessive thickness associated with a 703/705 based trap, one encounters a measure of reflectivity. That said, the less gas flow resistivity component one utilizes with the thicker traps, the more effective.

The bonus is the significant savings incurred.

So, if you've got a lot of space to work with, go cheap pink fluffy.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #17 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

space is something I WISH I had. the whole reason I went AT as I had no more room beside my screen to fit anything. and below the screen the f-20's still take up most of the floor space. would it be just as easy to take one of my 24x48x2" panels and caddy corner it in the corner? if it is close to as effective then why not?

post #18 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This is where I get mine.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fib...ards--106.html

Two cases of this http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--AT...oard--AB2.html for $118 before shipping and it would be 8 feet tall after cutting.
post #19 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
It is a lot cheaper if you get it from the local dealer. Look under for heating & insulation or you can also find the local dealers from OC web site. Getting this online is a rip off.
post #20 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

^^^

Yeah, it's all about the shipping.

Buy it local if at all possible, they receive it by the truckload,...you reap the benefit.

post #21 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

Try that--it works for your purpose as well.
post #22 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
When you call local insulation suppliers, don't ask for OC703, ask for 3lb/cu ft rigid insulation board. OC703 is just one brand name for a very common item made by
many different suppliers.
post #23 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

It's my understanding the thicker one attempts to DIY a bass trap, the more effective the less expensive pink fluffy variety becomes. With excessive thickness associated with a 703/705 based trap, one encounters a measure of reflectivity. That said, the less gas flow resistivity component one utilizes with the thicker traps, the more effective.

The bonus is the significant savings incurred.

So, if you've got a lot of space to work with, go cheap pink fluffy.

Good luck

What's the thickness cutoff? I thought thicker == better for bass trapping?

I've got an air gap under my AT screen of about 14" high X 24" deep X 13 feet wide. Would I be better served stuffing that full of pink fluffy / denim or with a bunch of rigid fiberglass (OC 703 or similar).
post #24 of 52 Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

that looks a lot more lumpy, is the stuff that guy has on the truck the same stuff you used?

Yes, the same (they pack it tight into the bundles, but when you unwrap it, it poofs back to shape) - its not as rigid as rigid fiberglas (OC 703 and the like), but more rigid than pink fluffy - rigid enough that you can stack floor to ceiling triangles and they stay put and don't overcompress.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #25 of 52 Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger View Post

I've got an air gap under my AT screen of about 14" high X 24" deep X 13 feet wide. Would I be better served stuffing that full of pink fluffy / denim or with a bunch of rigid fiberglass (OC 703 or similar).

thicker is better, it gets your trap to handle lower frequencies the thicker you do it, but the density also matters, what he was saying is the pink stuff's not as dense as 703 or 705 so it would effectively need more to do the same as 703 would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Yes, the same (they pack it tight into the bundles, but when you unwrap it, it poofs back to shape) - its not as rigid as rigid fiberglas (OC 703 and the like), but more rigid than pink fluffy - rigid enough that you can stack floor to ceiling triangles and they stay put and don't overcompress.

Thats a good looking trap! Ill dig around some more here in town, and if worse comes to worse, ill hit up atsacoustics, thats where I got my other panels from and they do a decent job on the shipping costs.

post #26 of 52 Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

This is where I get mine.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fib...ards--106.html

Two cases of this http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--AT...oard--AB2.html for $118 before shipping and it would be 8 feet tall after cutting.

that roxul they have is much cheaper than the OC703, is it's absorption coefficient the same? How about the atsacoustics brand?

post #27 of 52 Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger View Post

There are so many factors involved, there are no hard and fast rules. If you have more than the typical corner style amount of room to commit, than you'd save a significant amount of money, and have a similar, but perhaps a bit higher level of performance by employing a "fluffy" bass trap system. Either way, the performance is similar when encountering very thick traps, it's all about the savings incurred.

Don't get hung up in the minutia, bass trapping is the low hanging fruit ,..as it were. Go for it, whichever method you adhere to. 705 w/membrane, 703, pink fluffy,...bass trapping has the potential to dramatically tame the response in room.

Good luck

post #28 of 52 Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Liked: 13
Locally I found an insulation distributor, paid $28 for 4 sheets of 2" thick OC703. If you didn't need so much I'd just send you my leftovers. Only thing about my distributor was that you had to spend at least $25.
post #29 of 52 Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post

Locally I found an insulation distributor, paid $28 for 4 sheets of 2" thick OC703. If you didn't need so much I'd just send you my leftovers. Only thing about my distributor was that you had to spend at least $25.

well id obviously do that with the amount I need, but thanks for the offer!

post #30 of 52 Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Note how the ultra touch cotton has very good absorption--see if your local Home Depot has it
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page