post #91 of 244 Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Specific request...Waterfall for the above REW response measurement? Is that a 1w/1m drive level? looks like it should be close if not. Any thoughts on the 85Hz notch (Is it something intrinsic to that THT form)?

85 Hz notch is likely the measurement setting - we were trying to stay out of the rain, and probably set things up too close to the house.

That's 1W at 1M, but with uncalibrated gear.

Will redo the rest as best as I'm able. Have a calibrated EMM-6 now, that should help a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 244 Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
db 2.5 is up

http://www.data-bass.com/blog

We'll try and get the data points loaded for all existing systems by the end of next month. Its kinda a lot of work, but it will be a lot faster than dealing with images.

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #93 of 244 Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I was just playing with it now. I love it! Awesome to compare systems on one screen.

Great work, Kyle!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #94 of 244 Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
awesome smile.gif

post #95 of 244 Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee View Post

db 2.5 is up

http://www.data-bass.com/blog

We'll try and get the data points loaded for all existing systems by the end of next month. Its kinda a lot of work, but it will be a lot faster than dealing with images.

Awesome! This is absolutely the way to do it. Not only are you free from managing images but it's a much better user experience as well. Congrats!!!
post #96 of 244 Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I really like the changes and the new comparison ability. A suggestion that might help some is the ability to compare multiples of one system to singles of another system. For example, a person with a budget of $2500 is trying to decide between two of system A vs one of system B. A way to visually compare might be helpful regarding output capabilities.
post #97 of 244 Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, we're totally on board with that idea and we will be adding a new page (lets call is "charts") that will probably show up in the title bar. It will be a pure graph page that will start with a number of empty graphs (impedance, sweeps, thd, etc etc) and you can add systems measurements (more than one) that will overlap. We will probably limit at 4 or 5 since some graphs have more than one series... We have to work out the kinks, but over all that is the goal.

Thanks everyone for the support. Some nights it felt it was never going to end. I'm sure Josh can agree:) I think when we get the large scale data sets from REW, etc. input into our system over the next few months, you'll really get to see how awesome the dynamic system can be. Also Josh was kind enough to point out that I was an idiot and didn't scale the graphs using a logarithmic value so that has be changed and we also had to limit the window to 10Hz... I think that's plenty low enough, maybe Bosso would disagree and want 5 smile.gif

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #98 of 244 Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Kyle has some really cool things going on that will hopefully get implemented eventually. We have been knocking around some of this stuff for well over a year as ideas or just random "what if?" kinds of thoughts. Lately he has been kicking butt on this programming stuff and updating the site while I have been taking it easy and slacking off on my end. tongue.gif (Actually doing the whole buying a new home thing for the last couple of months. Nice and relaxing.rolleyes.gif) That being the case I haven't been able to do much of anything related to DB for many weeks. I apologize if I have anything of yours that you are waiting on me to test. It is going to be awhile more before I get back to testing. That said there are still a few things that have been done for awhile that haven't been made public yet. I just have to get them uploaded.
post #99 of 244 Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI the driver results for the Sundown SA15 provided by WiSound are posted. Also the SA15 sealed enclosure test and the results for the TC pro5100 sealed. The RE Audio SX18 is posted. The RE Audio MX18 sealed test will be posted next week.

Stay classy San Diego.
post #100 of 244 Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Bass Enabler

Suuhhhweeeeeet!

Thanks, Josh! smile.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #101 of 244 Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 929
cool. i'm going to check them out now.

by the way, on the comparison page, it would be nice if the top menu were somehow locked or if there was more than one. when i scroll down the subs, the menu goes up off my screen and i have to keep moving up and down to see what frequency the measurements are at. otherwise, the site looks great, has a ton of great data, and is easy to use.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #102 of 244 Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you saying the graphs are too big to fit your screen?

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #103 of 244 Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

oh nm, i see what you mean. You mean like gmail.. .lock the menu for doing the compare overlay?

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #104 of 244 Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

for example on this page: http://www.data-bass.com/systems

when i scroll down to the svs subs, the header bar has now scrolled off the screen, so i don't know what the columns are unless i scroll back up to the top of the page.

if there is some way to lock the header bar so that it always remains on the page, that would make it easier to work with, especially as the list of systems gets really long.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #105 of 244 Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Kyle has some really cool things going on that will hopefully get implemented eventually. We have been knocking around some of this stuff for well over a year as ideas or just random "what if?" kinds of thoughts. Lately he has been kicking butt on this programming stuff and updating the site while I have been taking it easy and slacking off on my end. tongue.gif (Actually doing the whole buying a new home thing for the last couple of months. Nice and relaxing.rolleyes.gif) That being the case I haven't been able to do much of anything related to DB for many weeks. I apologize if I have anything of yours that you are waiting on me to test. It is going to be awhile more before I get back to testing. That said there are still a few things that have been done for awhile that haven't been made public yet. I just have to get them uploaded.

Congrats on the new house. Does it have a good place for an HT?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #106 of 244 Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

for example on this page: http://www.data-bass.com/systems
when i scroll down to the svs subs, the header bar has now scrolled off the screen, so i don't know what the columns are unless i scroll back up to the top of the page.
if there is some way to lock the header bar so that it always remains on the page, that would make it easier to work with, especially as the list of systems gets really long.

You can float stuff in css easily, its a gimmick though

The most functional way to fix such a thing is to just duplicate the header halfway through the chart.

Two alpine sws-15d2 drivers for sale $150
erich kit + titanic MK3 $200

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #107 of 244 Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that would work too, maybe even better as it wouldn't create a second scroll bar and hog horizontal real estate.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #108 of 244 Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Congrats on the new house. Does it have a good place for an HT?

Thanks. It's not the space that I would build or what I wanted exactly but it works. Basically it's a 3150 cube basement family room, so it's not what you would call a totally dedicated space. Good enough to put a smile on my face all the same. The rest of the property made too much sense to pass on.
post #109 of 244 Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"The rest of the property made too much sense to pass on."

:-) hhmm...like it might be good for a little outdoor testing?

"It's not the space that I would build or what I wanted exactly but it works."

you are a creative guy. i'm sure that you will figure out a way to transform your new basement room into a totally kick-arse-man-cave-recording-studio-theater.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #110 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RE Audio MX18 sealed test is up for viewing. Also I've added the voltage drive used for each of the output compression sweeps for all of the DIY or passive subs which is pretty darn cool if I say so myself. smile.gif

Drivers currently on deck are the Stereo Integrity HT 18D2, Obsidian Audio 18D2, and a couple of other drivers.

Next set of tests will be a couple of commercial subs and the Othorn followed by the LMS Ultra 5400 sealed re-test which I've been putting off forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

:-) hhmm...like it might be good for a little outdoor testing?

Well it is not out of the question but that is only a small piece of it. Haven't went there yet. Not sure how the neighbors are going to feel about an Othorn being wrung out a couple hundred feet from their house. Probably not great.
post #111 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am looking forward to the results on the OA18" and the new SI HT 18".
post #112 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

RE Audio MX18 sealed test is up for viewing. Also I've added the voltage drive used for each of the output compression sweeps for all of the DIY or passive subs which is pretty darn cool if I say so myself. smile.gif
Drivers currently on deck are the Stereo Integrity HT 18D2, Obsidian Audio 18D2, and a couple of other drivers.
Next set of tests will be a couple of commercial subs and the Othorn followed by the LMS Ultra 5400 sealed re-test which I've been putting off forever.
Well it is not out of the question but that is only a small piece of it. Haven't went there yet. Not sure how the neighbors are going to feel about an Othorn being wrung out a couple hundred feet from their house. Probably not great.

Oh! Awesome! Been waiting to see if you were going to re-do the LMS-Ultra to fit in with your current testing standards. smile.gif

The SI and Obsidian drivers will be interesting to see how they do.

Also, not that I say you should because it would be a huge chore, it would be interesting to see how the MX18 does in your Funky Waves LLT compared to the XXX18. You know, since someone will eventually own that pairing. wink.gif *sniff*

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #113 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well someone is supposed to pick up that pair this weekend so I doubt that will happen. I have done the modeling and it looks good. The MX is pretty similar to the XXX. Slightly better inductance, but less total excursion. Still a deep bass shovel. Pretty much impossible to bottom. wink.gif The upside is it weighs 40lbs less and costs a couple hundred dollars less.

By the way the SI driver looks pretty darn good for the money. I can't see how they will make any money on it. Interesting note is that it employs an aluminum pole cap and a inner magnet aluminum ring in the motor. On top of that the VC is going to be rather low mass since it is a 2.5" coil. I'm hoping this adds up to a nice clean top end. FS is low as well.
post #114 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I've looked at several of the reviews and have a question about your methodology. When you're measuring non-sealed passive enclosures are you using any sort of HPF? If so, how are you determining at what frequency to place the HPF and what slope to use?
post #115 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Well someone is supposed to pick up that pair this weekend so I doubt that will happen. I have done the modeling and it looks good. The MX is pretty similar to the XXX. Slightly better inductance, but less total excursion. Still a deep bass shovel. Pretty much impossible to bottom. wink.gif The upside is it weighs 40lbs less and costs a couple hundred dollars less.
By the way the SI driver looks pretty darn good for the money. I can't see how they will make any money on it. Interesting note is that it employs an aluminum pole cap and a inner magnet aluminum ring in the motor. On top of that the VC is going to be rather low mass since it is a 2.5" coil. I'm hoping this adds up to a nice clean top end. FS is low as well.

Really hope so too but I am keeping my expectations VERY low. It seems like one of those too-good-to-be-true drivers and at that cost...wow. Watching for your results. Btw, are you getting an early bird? The first shipped out batch isn't supposed to be until early 2013.

The MX18 sounds like a pretty cool driver if it gets your thumbs up. I'll have to check that out. Your review on DB was very good.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #116 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott the SI is sitting in my garage right now. I have the production prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I've looked at several of the reviews and have a question about your methodology. When you're measuring non-sealed passive enclosures are you using any sort of HPF? If so, how are you determining at what frequency to place the HPF and what slope to use?

Of course. HPF's are a must for non sealed alignments (FLH/BP4 excluded) with high power testing. HPF type, placement and slope are determined by studying the impedance curve, driver excursion, predictions about the driver capabilities at the limits and response shape. These are usually decided long before I get out to the test site. Typically I try to use the least aggressive high pass that gets the job done and usually BW filters.
post #117 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course. HPF's are a must for non sealed alignments (FLH/BP4 excluded) with high power testing. HPF type, placement and slope are determined by studying the impedance curve, driver excursion, predictions about the driver capabilities at the limits and response shape. These are usually decided long before I get out to the test site. Typically I try to use the least aggressive high pass that gets the job done and usually BW filters.
Maybe you can add the details of the HPF used to your reviews, like the frequency and slope? I can only imagine that some people reading the reviews totally miss the fact that one was used or that one is needed.
post #118 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are. There is a section labeled processing....
post #119 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are. There is a section labeled processing....
Okay, like this review. There's no details on the HPF in the Settings and Equalization area when you tested it passive. Whereas in this review you do mention the 10Hz HPF in the Settings and Equalization area. FWIW, I think the slope / order would be nice to know as well.
post #120 of 244 Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is no high pass used there. The VS18.1 was only tested passively for raw sensitivity at 1m and 10m, basic raw FR, impedance and burst output capabilities of the cab. None of these particular tests require a high pass or have one used for passive cabs. It did not have the full set of tests done because the supplied amplifier system with high pass built in was already driving the system to the point that it could not take more power input full bandwidth in a long term manner in a linear fashion. The test with the supplied amplifier already shows how it would behave in the other tests with a HPF. The HPF is detailed in the other tests with the Sub1 amp (I believe).
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page