Help me wire used SuperCube amp sections? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought an amp from a a DefTech supercube II. I didn't expect it to come in two sections, and I need some help wiring it back together. I apologize if my terminology is not correct.
I think I may have it figured out, but wanted to check with you guys first.
Basically, there are 5 connections that need to be made:
1- 4 prong
1-2 prong
1- black spade
1- white spade
1- ring terminal, looks like it may be a ground?

The two prong and 4 prong connections are easy, only one place to put them.

I don't see anywhere to attach the spades on either board, which leads me to wonder if they attach to the driver.

The ring terminal, I'm not sure about that one either. I will show you a picture of something near a capacitor with a hole in it that looks like the ring might be able to bolt, but I can't identify what it is.

Let me show you some pictures of what I'm describing.
This is the front panel:

Here you can see the prong connectors:

In this pic, you can see the pronged connection points, but in the background, near the capacitors, is the possible connection for the ring terminal.

This is a shot of the spade connectors and the ring terminals.

If you need more detailed shots, or overall pics of each board, let me know. I bought this off of ebay, and need to verify that it is not DOA within the sellers time limit.
It will be used with a Dayton Audio Titanic MKII 15" driver in a sealed box that will have around 3.5-4 cu/ft of volume once I'm done. It is going to replace the potato hutch in an antique cabinet in my living room. I will be using the door from the hutch for the front veneer of the enclosure. Should slide into place and disappear.
Thank you very much for helping me figure this out. It's the last piece of the puzzle before I can start my build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Looking at it more closely, I believe the ring terminal may attach to the driver chassis somewhere now?
This is an over all from the input side, you can see the 4 prong near the middle lower edge, and the 2 prong connection in the far left corner.

This is an overall of the other section. I think those are crossovers in the middle? The 2 pronged connector comes off the right side, which would be input, and the 4 prong wire, spade terminals plus ring terminal come off the left side which would be output after the crossovers, correct? Time to breal open the MKIII box and see if there is a place for that ring to attach I guess.
edit- there is no readily apparent place to connect the ring terminal to the driver. NOw I'm wondering if it would attach to the plate amp board where I originally suspected. Going to align the plates and see if there is any "position memory" in the wires. Also see if I can't find a schematic.
Confirmation from you guys would still be great to have before I hook this up to my receiver.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 PM

Liked: 15
Did you ever have any luck with that amplifier? I have the same one (from the same guy probably) and also the smaller one from the supercube III. Did you find out where the ring/eyelet ended wire was supposed to be mounted?

"goodtimes"
post #4 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
take a muli meter and test between the ring and the metal case the amp is in.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM

The ringed wire is a heat sensor. It was originally connected to the magnet of the woofer in the SuperCube subwoofer. It can be connected to the magnet of the woofer you are using if there is a place to do so, if not mount it some where that does not get hot. Its function was to shut down the amplifier for a short time if the woofer was becoming too hot.

"goodtimes"
post #6 of 11 Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

goodtimes, sorry I didn't respond sooner.
After speaking with the seller, with both of us doing research, it was decided to use the ring terminal as another ground. I attached it to the chassis of the second amp section.
I have been using the amp for a couple weeks now and I'm pleased with how it turned out. The enclosure is 3.55 cu/ft inside when you subtract for the bracing. I'm using a VSX-53 and it's MCACC won't autocalibrate with the SuperCube amp turned up past 30%, makes me turn the sub down. Kinda glad the amp can just cruise along at such a low output level but still provide all the LFE I want. Movie thunder sounds and feels real now, and will quickly wreck the nap of your sleeping toddler. This was from all the way across the house, and a floor down, on a slab.cool.gif
I still need to veneer the cabinet door to the front of the sub to complete it's concealment, and I may add about 3 pounds of polyfill to see what difference that makes.
Did you get your hum issue figured out?
00cbirdw likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Hey there, I never got the amp noise solved. It may be a few bad capacitors, I will try that soon. I would be careful using that heat sensor as a ground, maybe just mount if to the wood somewhere, What sub are you using? The amp is designed to be used with a 30 ohm load and is rated right around 1000 watts RMS into that load (30 ohm). So who knows what it is putting out into 4 0r 8 ohms. I would think it is fairly taxing on the amp to drive such low ohm loads, but if it is only at 30% or so I would think you are still getting a good amount of power and not over driving the amp. If the amp was turned way up it would eventually burn up the output devices. Post a picture if you get a chance. Glad to hear some more on this. I am thinking about a dual opposed 12" sub wired to be 16 ohm. This should be pretty impressive!

"goodtimes"
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post

goodtimes, sorry I didn't respond sooner.
After speaking with the seller, with both of us doing research, it was decided to use the ring terminal as another ground. I attached it to the chassis of the second amp section.
I have been using the amp for a couple weeks now and I'm pleased with how it turned out. The enclosure is 3.55 cu/ft inside when you subtract for the bracing. I'm using a VSX-53 and it's MCACC won't autocalibrate with the SuperCube amp turned up past 30%, makes me turn the sub down. Kinda glad the amp can just cruise along at such a low output level but still provide all the LFE I want. Movie thunder sounds and feels real now, and will quickly wreck the nap of your sleeping toddler. This was from all the way across the house, and a floor down, on a slab.cool.gif
I still need to veneer the cabinet door to the front of the sub to complete it's concealment, and I may add about 3 pounds of polyfill to see what difference that makes.
Did you get your hum issue figured out?

I'm glad I found this thread......I'm actually looking at doing this same thing but withe the Supercube I amp sections and a JL Audio 10w7 driver that I've had sitting around for years!!! I was wondering if everything with your setup has still been running fine without any issues?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

No issues with the amplifier section at all, Still cruising along at about 28% output.
I still haven't added the polyfil, so I don't know if that would be an improvement yet.
I am seriously thinking about porting the enclosure and trying to tune it to match my Hsu since they are both upstairs now as per the better half's request.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Liked: 10
NICE!!!! Thats very encouraging news.....I was thinking about going with a EP4000 amplifier, but then some people on another forum mentioned that I would need a miniDSP and a high pass filter, and I'm WAY to novice to even THINK about getting that involved LOL! So I figured I'd drop the $250 on the Supercube I amplifier setup and not have to worry about anything but mounting it to my box! Do you have any pictures you could post that would show how you went about installing/mounting the amp to your box? Thanks for the helpful info!!! biggrin.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

For the control section, I just cut a window to allow me bolt it inside the box, used holesaw a for the corners and connected the holes. The amp section is attached inside as well. I did use weatherstripping as a gasket between the control section and the box.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page