Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 1078 Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Still hoping for a ported 15 or 18. Would be nice having a second sub behind my couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1078 Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Still hoping for a ported 15 or 18. Would be nice having a second sub behind my couch.

You mean like this:

Except it is a 12", oh well...
post #543 of 1078 Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I have to see how the dual opposed 18's go first. They're very heavy and I have to get custom boxes to ship these buggers.

If they're okay to package up and people want a box that big, then I'll get the really large ported boxes made up.

Today I was moving around a pallet of the dual opposed boxes with my skid steer. It was heavy enough to tip it forward....so an employee hopped up on the back to act as a counter weight. biggrin.gif

I don't mind driving a skid steer around on it's front tires though.......especially going down hills:

Of course this next hill was a little steep to back up, but I still made it quite a few times. biggrin.gif

gw742296 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #544 of 1078 Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
That, sir, is quite impressive.
post #545 of 1078 Old 10-28-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That looks like a sweet old Pinto station wagon in behind you....now there is some good taste. eek.gif
post #546 of 1078 Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

That looks like a sweet old Pinto station wagon in behind you....now there is some good taste. eek.gif

You are dating yourself as a child of the 1970's, like me tongue.gif
My neighbor in Warren, Mich drove one to High School, really, and he had a sign like this on the back of his car, for a few weeks before his parents made him scrub it off.

Good news:
Quote:
10/30/2013 - Wednesday 10:30 am
Delivered Howell, MI
Left at front door. Signature Service not requested.

Looks like my 4cu ft 12" ported box just got delivered biggrin.gif
Got a iNuke3000 dsp for $240 coming next week, looks like I'll be building my 1st ported box soon.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #547 of 1078 Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Awesome. I'm thinking of building a DIY too.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #548 of 1078 Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I can get the dual opposed 15" models, but I don't know what size to make the box.

5 cu. ft. internal is what I need for my MFW-15's smile.gif
post #549 of 1078 Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone made a separate build thread for the 4 cu ft 12" sub ported box?

I've got my flat pack, my amp + fan, ports, 12" Ultimax and hardware all ready now.
Looks like a Thanksgiving Friday start....so if there is no other build thread I'll start one for mine.
amann1 likes this.

post #550 of 1078 Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Well guys, believe it or not, the dual opposed 18's are finally coming. My work year is winding down, so I'll have more time to get new things like this done. The Anarchy tapped horn will be getting done again as well. One reason this took extra time is because people wanted some ported 4 cuft for 12" woofers and sealed 4 cuft for 15" woofers. So I got those done......but I think only 3 have been ordered. rolleyes.gif Kind of a bummer on those right now

Anyway, the first dual opposed box is 23.5" x 23.5" x 32" deep. 8.5 cuft gross, about 8cuft net. Sounds big, but not too bad when you get out the tape measure. It will have double baffles on both sides, so add another 1.5" to that length.

I have no idea what the cost is yet, but they should be ready to go in about 1-2 weeks. I'll probably have to get some custom shipping boxes made up because these will have to ship in 2 different packages due to weight. They use 2 sheets of wood. biggrin.gif

Because it's dual opposed, I didn't think we needed a huge amount of crazy cross bracing. It will have 1.5" thick baffles on both sides, and 2 full internal braces. Let me know what you think. This photo doesn't show the outer baffles.

I think we could get the box a bit bigger and still use the same number of sheets. Maybe 35" deep. But I don't think there's any reason to go up to 9.25 cuft for these woofers.

Erich,

Have any more of these boxes not sold ie. dual opposed 18's?

You can pm me if you have any left over...........................

Second, after looking at specs for SI driver what these boxes were made for..................seems like the UXL-18 will fit too.............................interested.

My Build Threads

post #551 of 1078 Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't had time to even put them on the site yet. biggrin.gif They should be around $185 which is only $65 more than the single, and I think I have about 35 of them.

They are big and will need some custom shipping boxes. There's a chance these won't be available again simply due to their weight and if they are hard to package. I'll have to see how it goes. I've also got to double check costs of the custom shipping boxes, Paypal, etc to make sure everything is good to go.

The SI-18 should fit if you remove the big rubber gasket around the outside frame. I know there were a good number of people that removed that gasket to get a better seal anyway. They used the foam tape style gasket when mounting the woofer.

Also, the tapped horn Baltic boxes for the Anarchy woofer are ready to package up as well. Luckily it's my slow time so I can start packaging all of this up.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #552 of 1078 Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't had time to even put them on the site yet. biggrin.gif They should be around $185 which is only $65 more than the single, and I think I have about 35 of them.

They are big and will need some custom shipping boxes. There's a chance these won't be available again simply due to their weight and if they are hard to package. I'll have to see how it goes. I've also got to double check costs of the custom shipping boxes, Paypal, etc to make sure everything is good to go.

The SI-18 should fit if you remove the big rubber gasket around the outside frame. I know there were a good number of people that removed that gasket to get a better seal anyway. They used the foam tape style gasket when mounting the woofer.

Also, the tapped horn Baltic boxes for the Anarchy woofer are ready to package up as well. Luckily it's my slow time so I can start packaging all of this up.

Please post when they are up on site...................................I'll take one.........keeping fingers crossed UXL-18 fits.............biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #553 of 1078 Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 13
Were those Dual opposing 18" boxes still about 8 cubic feet net?
post #554 of 1078 Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
^^ yes. "the first dual opposed box is 23.5" x 23.5" x 32" deep. 8.5 cuft gross, about 8 cuft net."

Listen. It's All Good.
post #555 of 1078 Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

^^ yes. "the first dual opposed box is 23.5" x 23.5" x 32" deep. 8.5 cuft gross, about 8 cuft net."

Okay, thanks. smile.gif

I was just asking since he had mentioned in an earlier post if any one thought it needed to be a 7.5 cubic feet size instead. I have interests in a dual opposing flat pack. biggrin.gif
post #556 of 1078 Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10
Do you by any chance sell a dual opposing 12" box? Space reasons won't allow me to use 15" or 18" drivers.
post #557 of 1078 Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Two panels with big circle cutouts is the same bracing Seaton uses in his Submersive. Nobody complains about it not having enough bracing!
post #558 of 1078 Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
.keeping fingers crossed UXL-18 fits.. biggrin.gif

If not I'll take it off your hands, you don't want that driver wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #559 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Has anyone made a separate build thread for the 4 cu ft 12" sub ported box?

I've got my flat pack, my amp + fan, ports, 12" Ultimax and hardware all ready now.
Looks like a Thanksgiving Friday start....so if there is no other build thread I'll start one for mine.

Erich/others;

Day after Thanksgiving, wife and girls out shopping, starting my 12" Ultimax ported box build.
Unpacked, put down floor covering/sawbucks to build on.

I've got all my precision ports/parts also.

Dry fit with tape, appears I'm missing the rear brace??
I've double checked the packaging, since just un-boxed it and still in basement, still no rear brace.
confused.gif
Plan view ............................................................................................ ISO view
ported%2520sub%2520plan%2520view.JPG . ported%2520sub%2520ISO%2520view.JPG

vs the image on DIY sound group site
Quote:
When you look at the photos, you'll notice that the rear vertical brace touches the rear panel. That's how the box should be assembled if you're using an external amplifier. If you plan on mounting a plate amplifier into the rear panel, you can simply flip that brace the other direction. This will not weaken the box because your amplifier frame is metal, which is stronger than the brace would have been.

Made from 3/4" mdf with a double thick 1.5" front baffle. It has recessed cut outs for the woofer, rabbet joints for the top, bottom, and back panels, 1/2" roundovers on the front baffle, and also a braces that fit into dado grooves! All panels fit together very nice and make it nearly fool proof. You assemble the box in the same order as the product photos.

post #560 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I packaged one of those up just 2 days ago and noticed an extra brace on top of the pallet and wondered if it was missed. Maybe we can blame MTG90 because he was here and helped package yours........and that might be the first time a part of a flat pack has been missed. So let's just go ahead and put this on him. biggrin.gif

Just send an email and let me know.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #561 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Erich/others;

Day after Thanksgiving, wife and girls out shopping, starting my 12" Ultimax ported box build.
Unpacked, put down floor covering/sawbucks to build on.

I've got all my precision ports/parts also.

Dry fit with tape, appears I'm missing the rear brace??
I've double checked the packaging, since just un-boxed it and still in basement, still no rear brace.
confused.gif
Plan view ............................................................................................ ISO view
ported%2520sub%2520plan%2520view.JPG . ported%2520sub%2520ISO%2520view.JPG

vs the image on DIY sound group site

Off topic............................LOVE the kitchen cabinets! Hickory..........Pine? Doesn't look like Alder.........................

My Build Threads

post #562 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I packaged one of those up just 2 days ago and noticed an extra brace on top of the pallet and wondered if it was missed. Maybe we can blame MTG90 because he was here and helped package yours........and that might be the first time a part of a flat pack has been missed. So let's just go ahead and put this on him. biggrin.gif

Just send an email and let me know.

Thx Erich I'll send you email.
I'll get started on my box as is, just not put the rear brace and panel on till I get from you.

fwiw; here is my shipping weight info, not sure if you have a check sheet to confirm final weight of package against know weight to make sure
Quote:
Ship (P/U) date :
Tues 10/29/2013
Cincinnati, OH
US
Actual delivery :
Wed 10/30/2013 10:30 am
HOWELL, MI
US
Shipment Facts
Weight 64 lbs
Total pieces1
ServiceFedEx Home Delivery
Dimensions32x18x9 in.

doublewing11- thx those are Hickory cabinets got them on really good deal from Lowes March-2011.
I just love the character of them.

post #563 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quick question - where can these flat packs be purchased? Mentioned parts express on the first page, but can't find them on the site using a quick search of "flat pack."
post #564 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Google DIY sound group.

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

post #565 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstam View Post

Quick question - where can these flat packs be purchased? Mentioned parts express on the first page, but can't find them on the site using a quick search of "flat pack."

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

Rebel975 and pstam like this.

post #566 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstam View Post

With the discount at Parts Express, you'll still save about $15 by using DIYsoundgroup.com............................besides, help a guy that works his tail off for the diy crowd.
thebuckaman likes this.

My Build Threads

post #567 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're the same boxes.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #568 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a search here on ported [URL=http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?Search=SEARCH&action=disp&advanced=1&byuser=&containingforum[0]=155&newer=1&numupdates=&order=descending&output=all&replycompare=gt&resultSortingPreference=recency&sdate=0&search=ported&sort=relevance&titleonly=1]http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?Search=SEARCH&action=disp&advanced=1&byuser=&containingforum[0]=155&newer=1]

Looked at threads since late 2012, not a single specific thread on flat pack 4 cu ft 12" sub ported box build.
Therefore I will make a separate build thread for that, as I started today.

post #569 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I did a search here on ported

Looked at threads since late 2012, not a single specific thread on flat pack 4 cu ft 12" sub ported box build.
Therefore I will make a separate build thread for that, as I started today.

I look forward to seeing your progress. I'm wondering how that design sounds.
post #570 of 1078 Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Erich,

Just left you a note on your site but wanted to follow-up here also. Is there anything special I need to do to order the Fusion 8 MTM flat pack if you have it in stock? Is it okay to just add a note to the order?

Really looking forward to building the Tempests and Alchemy MTM to replace my Rocket 850!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page