post #91 of 1078 Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I've got some in now, but not all of them. The rest will be delivered Monday.

Because they're not a square cube, I need to order some different shipping boxes from Uline. The local packaging supply company will probably have some boxes that I can pick up temporarily though.

Erich, I just sent you a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1078 Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What are the outside demensions on the box for the 18's?
post #93 of 1078 Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Eric H, you need to raise prices on everything by at least $10 and start making this worth your wild. BTW, I want to thank you again for the 10 JBL 8330 surrounds. smile.gif

War Eagle!
post #94 of 1078 Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 AM

Liked: 12
Inquiring into purchasing two boxes - email sent
post #95 of 1078 Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I've got some in now, but not all of them. The rest will be delivered Monday.

Because they're not a square cube, I need to order some different shipping boxes from Uline. The local packaging supply company will probably have some boxes that I can pick up temporarily though.

Erich, I talked to you about ordering some boxes for some 12's back in November. Do you plan on updating the website before you start taking orders or will you start taking orders sooner? Do you have an ETA on when some of the smaller boxes are planned to be done?

Thanks!
post #96 of 1078 Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hope some si 15 or 18 come soon
post #97 of 1078 Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Erich, I'm retired and if I lived near you I would help out for something to do.

Bill
post #98 of 1078 Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 410
post #99 of 1078 Old 02-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Yes I have, but, I don't believe that they offer a flat pack for the Statements, according to their website. They do offer kits, with everything needed for the build, with the exception of the cabinets. They also supply a pretty nice and well laid out cut list, but for myself having never really used a saw, I would prefer to purchase a flat pack.

Erich, I am just curious as to how much it would cost to get a design made for the CNC machine, for the Statements? I have received several PM's from folks who said they would be willing to chip in. If the cost isn't too outrageous then perhaps we could look into this?

I'd be one who would be willing to help. I'm defintely interested.
post #100 of 1078 Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM

I am the manager for The Box Shoppe located in Indianapolis, IN. Call me if you need any shipping supplies and I will do my best to meet or beat any current pricing you have going on. (317) 842-7236. I would also like some sub woofer flat packs soon so we could probably work a deal on something.

Thanks,
Matt Linton
post #101 of 1078 Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hey Erich, as long as everybody else is asking questions, here's mine: The 4.0 cu.ft. sub box on the site lists 15's as applicable drivers for that box. Are you having some baffles cut for 15's? Are you making a 3.5 and the 4.0? Whichever one has a hole for 15 is fine with me, or I can cut my own. And if you have a couple of the original 3.5's sitting around getting in your way, Hell, I'd take 'em! Thanks Erich---EJ.
post #102 of 1078 Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM

I Just ordered flat packs for my 2 SI 18s... Get them while you can boys...
post #103 of 1078 Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post

Hey Erich, as long as everybody else is asking questions, here's mine: The 4.0 cu.ft. sub box on the site lists 15's as applicable drivers for that box. Are you having some baffles cut for 15's? Are you making a 3.5 and the 4.0? Whichever one has a hole for 15 is fine with me, or I can cut my own. And if you have a couple of the original 3.5's sitting around getting in your way, Hell, I'd take 'em! Thanks Erich---EJ.

I don't know if any of those 3.5 models are left or not, but I'll check.

I'm still debating if I should get the taller 3.5 models made up because they're so close to the 4 cuft model and 3 cuft model. Of course the 3 cuft model is about a perfect square, they they would at least look a little different.

What do you guys think?
post #104 of 1078 Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM

After reading this thread it seems like it was a good idea Erich. I say that because everything is sold out until just recently. I have been checking the site daily hoping to see the 2.25 or the 3 available. Maybe I should just pony up the $200 dollars for a plunge router and borrow somebody's truck and buy some MDF???
post #105 of 1078 Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34

Ugh, unexpectedly, listening to these awesome SEOS speakers are making want to do a subwoofer upgrade! Guess I'd better at least order the flat pack so it's ready when I want build something that STARTS to help keep up! redface.gif

post #106 of 1078 Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm still debating if I should get the taller 3.5 models made up because they're so close to the 4 cuft model and 3 cuft model. Of course the 3 cuft model is about a perfect square, they they would at least look a little different.

What do you guys think?

I'd love a couple of 18W X 23H X 20.75D 3.5 boxes (same dimensions as the original run, from last Summer) for 15" Titanic's in this new design. Anybody else?
post #107 of 1078 Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, hey Erich, how many 4.0's did you have the CNC company make for the first run?
post #108 of 1078 Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got 30 for the Dayton 18 and 40 for the SI. I got more of the SI boxes because some guys had already "preordered". 16 of those are gone as of right now. So I wouldn't wait too long if you need that model.

Quick question guys. They're running other boxes early next week and I want to get at least 2 woofer cut outs for each model. Then maybe later I can get some custom baffles for other things.

The 3 cuft cube was going to be made for the 15" Dayton Titanic and another for the Dayton RS 15" woofers. Any other ideas? I've got baffles for the MFW that will fit this box too.

The 2 cuft was going to be for one of the Dayton RS woofers, but I'm not sure what else.

The 1.25 cuft was for the Dayton RS 12" woofers. Is there any other driver that will do good in that box?

The 1 cuft model will be for the Dayton RS 10". Any other woofer for this size?

I purchased a 10" and 12" Dayton Ultimax, but I don't know what box size they should go in. I'm guessing the 10" should go in the 1.25cuft and the 12" in the 2cuft.
post #109 of 1078 Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Would be interested in a 3 cu ft for the SI 15" woofer
post #110 of 1078 Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM

Liked: 12
I just ordered 6 of the 18" SI boxes. I wish there was a dual-opposed option that way I would do two of those and two singles, but unless i missed something, I haven't heard of any plans for that. So I decided just to go with singles since they're available now.
post #111 of 1078 Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 835
generally, dual opposed are just two sealed back-to-back.

you could glue two single cabs together for a home made dual opposed. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #112 of 1078 Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Erich---If you're not going to have any 3.5's made, can 4.0's be ordered cut for Titanic 15's (and without the 1/16" deep trench for a plate amp), or with blank/uncut baffles, and no round-over on the front edge? Should I pay for a pair of the 4.0's now, as a sort of pre-paid reservation, for boxes cut for 15's? Or have you found any of the old style 3.5's?
post #113 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I got 30 for the Dayton 18 and 40 for the SI. I got more of the SI boxes because some guys had already "preordered". 16 of those are gone as of right now. So I wouldn't wait too long if you need that model.

Quick question guys. They're running other boxes early next week and I want to get at least 2 woofer cut outs for each model. Then maybe later I can get some custom baffles for other things.

The 3 cuft cube was going to be made for the 15" Dayton Titanic and another for the Dayton RS 15" woofers. Any other ideas? I've got baffles for the MFW that will fit this box too.

The 2 cuft was going to be for one of the Dayton RS woofers, but I'm not sure what else.

The 1.25 cuft was for the Dayton RS 12" woofers. Is there any other driver that will do good in that box?

The 1 cuft model will be for the Dayton RS 10". Any other woofer for this size?

I purchased a 10" and 12" Dayton Ultimax, but I don't know what box size they should go in. I'm guessing the 10" should go in the 1.25cuft and the 12" in the 2cuft.
EricH, 12" Dayton Ultimax models fine in 2 cu ft box with stuffing, I've posted that in another thread here.
Per our emails I'd like 1 reserved for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Besides me are there others looking for sub flat pack kit from EricH on the 12” UltiMax (UM12-22)?

My original idea to use the Dayton Audio TIT320C-4 12" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer got canned when the ship date got pushed from Early Jan-2013 to Feb-2013, and now I see that ship date is now June-2013.

Hoping others demand make it worthwhile for EricH to make 2 cu ft boxes for the 12” UltiMax.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk
post #114 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

What do you guys think?

Well I think you know my answer given that I've sent 11 emails in the last 5 weeks asking if you were going to be making the 3.5 box (technically 10 in the last month since the first one on 12/31 asked about all flatpacks in general, including the SEOS speaker boxes, and when you'd have an answer on stock status, shipping date, website reflection of what you actually had, etc.)

Quick comparison:

3 cubic foot - 19.5" x 19.5" x 20.25" deep (more cube like)
3.5 cubic foot - 18" x 23" x 20.75" deep (tall and narrow with virtually same depth)
4 cubic foot - 20" x 23" x 20.75" deep

While technically my woofer choice in these would prefer the larger air space of the 4 cubic foot box (my ideal box size is 5 cubic foot... but obviously that option isn't even in the cards), the entire appeal of the 3.5 cubic foot box is the tall narrow aspect.

I intend to run stacked boxes with them laid on their side (18 + 18 giving 36 inch height... a touch more once decoupling is put between them) because of space constraints in my situation.... two 4 cubic foot boxes stacked with the narrowest dimension used for height is 40 inches in height by comparison....and those extra 4 inches count (that's what she said wink.gif hehe)... just in this case, they're actually not helpful at all and make the boxes unusable in my case given my constraints on height of the stack...

So yeah, I'm in for 4 of the 3.5 boxes with blank baffles (since my woofer choice is unusual compared to what others will use the boxes for).

Either way, can you *please* make a decision quickly on what you are going to do with the 3.5 boxes and let folks know on this thread? If you're not going to have them made, I need to get on the schedule for my local cabinet guy to make boxes for me. Thank you.

Shane
post #115 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

Well I think you know my answer given that I've sent 11 emails in the last 5 weeks asking if you were going to be making the 3.5 box (technically 10 in the last month since the first one on 12/31 asked about all flatpacks in general, including the SEOS speaker boxes, and when you'd have an answer on stock status, shipping date, website reflection of what you actually had, etc.)

Multiply that by about 300 and you'll get an idea why it's hard for me to respond to all the emails and also package things up by myself. wink.gif I've got about 40 PM's to get to later today and a couple hundred emails from the past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

Either way, can you *please* make a decision quickly on what you are going to do with the 3.5 boxes and let folks know on this thread? If you're not going to have them made, I need to get on the schedule for my local cabinet guy to make boxes for me. Thank you.

If you have a local cabinet guy that can make you custom cabinets, then I'm not sure why you wouldn't go that route anyway.

I think people have forgotten that all I'm doing here is trying to get boxes cut that most people will need. I shoot for breaking even on all of this and package things up in my spare time. And I'm spending my own money to do that. Last month I sold one of my work trucks because a past employees needed one to start a side business. I'm using that money to help with these subwoofer boxes. As of right now, this audio stuff is not a 'for profit business'.....it's a barely break even idea/hobby.

Last month I spent $8k on boxes for the SEOS speakers. The 4cuft subwoofers were about $8k. The smaller sub boxes will total about $10k next week. The group buy money that was used came from getting some back from the SEOS-12's and compression drivers as they sold, then adding in the money from the truck I just mentioned.

As people order, the money comes back in......and gets rolled into the next project. If the next project is 3.5 cuft boxes, then that's what I'll get done. But if the interest isn't high, then dropping $6500 on 75 of those boxes isn't the best way to use the group buy money. Right now I don't know the answer to that. As mentioned above, the next boxes are 1, 1.25, 2.25, and 3cuft. If $6500 comes back in, then I have no problem getting them done. But I have no idea how fast people will order to make that happen, or if there's a big enough demand for 3.5.

The reason the subwoofer packs took so long was because I couldn't get a definitive answer on which boxes to get made first. So it made sense to focus back on the SEOS project. I'm taking a shot in the dark on the current subs and we'll see how it goes. On the weekends I can try to get some custom work done, like different baffles for different boxes and things like that. But I can't guarantee time lines.

Setting up the website to look more 'business' like has made people forget that it's just me ordering what I hope people want. And I've yet to have anyone say "Hey Erich, here's $10k to spend on the next project. Just give me back the money next year after they all get ordered." biggrin.gif So right now there's probably $75k of my own money just being ciculated around on new projects. That's how it started 2 years ago. If it's on the site, grab it. If not, you might have to wait until it comes up again. Some of the boxes have come back in stock when the CNC company made 5 at the end of a larger run. I list them, a couple days later they are gone. I had the sample 3cuft Baltic boxes up for a couple days in the 'limited supply' section and they went quickly.

The answer to all of this is fairly simple. Hire someone, add in extra per item to cover the cost of a new employee and a little extra for future projects. Of course I obviously don't advertise the site (I don't even post links to it). So outside of the AVS forum, no one really knows about it. In the past 3 weeks I've been giving strong consideration to hiring someone to help get things done quicker, and get more items made up. But if no one outside of AVS knows about all of all of this.......well, it might not do so good. I'll be making the decision in the next couple weeks before spring gets here and my busy season starts.
post #116 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisG View Post

Would be interested in a 3 cu ft for the SI 15" woofer

+1...I'm interested in some 3 cu. ft. boxes with baffles made for the SI HT15s. THANKS!
post #117 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Yep Erich, your position is completely understood and appreciated. Thanks again for doing this! I'm perfectly willing to pay for a pair of 4.0's now and wait for some baffles for 15" woofers to be cut. The question is: are you going to have some baffles with holes for 15" woofers cut for the 18" box? If the answer is yes, I don't need to wait for the 3.5, I can just go with the 4.0 right now. Just give the word, and the money's on the way! Or, as an alternative, blank/uncut baffles for the 4.0? If not, I could make the baffles here, as a last resort. Either way, just let me/us know, ay? Thanks again Erich---Eric.
post #118 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Erich, you are crazy for not talking a salary off of your idea and work. IMO the price goes up a bit? too bad for the people looking for cheap everything. You have to make it worth your while. Helping people out is one thing but it will come to a point where you will be taken advantage of/ if not already. You have to make a profit or it will come to a point where you'll think "why am I doing this? lol"

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #119 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like I'm going to be extremely busy this week. Believe it or not, there aren't many SI-18 boxes left. Maybe 9.

I figured I'd have time to weigh and ship 10, then make sure my pricing was okay.......but it looks like I'm going in blind on this one! biggrin.gif As mentioned on the site, I don't have the invoice from the CNC company yet, but I'm pretty sure the price is really close.
post #120 of 1078 Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Here's an idea you've probably considered. If you know a high school (or college) kid whom you can trust to do a good job, hire he or she to pack boxes as time allows, and add his or her wages to the cost of the sub boxes. As an example, if it takes 30 minutes to pack one box, and you pay the packer $10/hr, add $5 to each box to pay the packer.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page