post #181 of 205 Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
^^ DW - you're reducing 4db of signal at the outputs of the Minidsp. Same thing, for this conversation, as reducing four db at the sub trim or MV.

I can reduce 3 db on my sub trim and problem solved, or reduce my shelf filter, or turn down my MV or...
Well, kinda sorta.......

XT32 in Marantz can not reduce sub output to appropriate levels........-12.5 db's is all she can do. Once calibrated....so I thought...... subs were still too hot by 4-5 db's. My only alternative was to lower level in Mini which worked magnificently! Re-ran XT32 which set front subs to -12 and rear subs to -8.5 db's..........distance in wiring back is more than double compared to front which makes sense on XT32 calibration. Re-ran REW sweeps at 0 level on Marantz and was ruler flat at 115db's. Plugged in a few scenes I'm familiar with and sound was incredible........for like 5 minutes until I lowered volume down to my listening levels.

I'll take flat down to 8 Hz at 115 db's which was my end goal. No reason for me to go beyond those limits..........suffice to say, my 7500 powers my four UXL's just fine in 2 ohm load. How long is does so is my only real question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Well, kinda sorta.......

XT32 in Marantz can not reduce sub output to appropriate levels........-12.5 db's is all she can do. Once calibrated....so I thought...... subs were still too hot by 4-5 db's. My only alternative was to lower level in Mini which worked magnificently! Re-ran XT32 which set front subs to -12 and rear subs to -8.5 db's..........distance in wiring back is more than double compared to front which makes sense on XT32 calibration. Re-ran REW sweeps at 0 level on Marantz and was ruler flat at 115db's. Plugged in a few scenes I'm familiar with and sound was incredible........for like 5 minutes until I lowered volume down to my listening levels.

I'll take flat down to 8 Hz at 115 db's which was my end goal. No reason for me to go beyond those limits..........suffice to say, my 7500 powers my four UXL's just fine in 2 ohm load. How long is does so is my only real question.
Pretty sure that reducing the output of the mini reduces the boost before it exits the DAC. To get full boost applied in the output stage you'd need to reduce gain at the input and that reduction will take place just after the ADC, but before the boost is applied.

Not saying you still wouldn't not shut down, but you'd certainly be getting all of your boost that way.

*Edit* Also not bugging you to do it - if you're happy that's the point!

I know your amp, and any other Peavey IPR2 will shut down with a 2 ohm nominal load if enough power is demanded from the power supply.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 06-24-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #183 of 205 Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 665
This is offtopic - but not really in the discussion of really eeeking every last drop of performance out of these powerful amps. I spoke with Tech Support for Cerwin Vega and asked if they thought it would be okay to run the Cerwin Vega CV-5000 amp with four subs per channel with a combined load of 1 ohm per channel for home theater use (four subs off each of two channels - eight subs total). We talked over my gear, my plan and while he acted surprised that I was doing a setup like this for home theater use - he said absolutely I could run the Cerwin Vega CV-5000 at 1 ohm per channel for home theater use. He said the Cerwin Vega amp is virtually indestructable and it would get hot and shut down before I damaged it - stating the amp is designed for huge venues and designed to be run much harder and longer than the typical home theater would ever see. I also confirmed the amp could be run off household 240 volt power by toggling the switch on the back as well. I have a oven range 8 gauge power wire with a 40 amp circuit unused and run to my theater room already. I'll probably give this option of running all eight subs off one amp on 240 volt power a shot. Hey why not? If it doesn't work, or doesn't get loud enough before shutting down, I can go back to my other plan of running four Ultimax drivers of the Cerwin Vega at bridged four ohm, and four Ultimax drivers off the Crown XLS-5000 at bridged four ohm. I'm still waiting on testing feedback on the iNuke DSP 12,000 and the Peavy IPR 7500 from Brian at speakerpower as well that buckamdman has setup. If those turn out better - then I'll just sell my Crown and Cerwin Vega 5000 watt amps and go with those instead.
saginawjuggalo likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
post #184 of 205 Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 77
CV techs have kinda been hit or miss on things they have to said in the past. BUT that being said if your willing to test this idea that would be great for the rest of us to know. Also for those that use these in pro audio I wonder how hard they are pushing them?

There are quite a few people on here that push amps harder that some pro audio applications.

post #185 of 205 Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you already have the amp - hell yes give it a shot. I would say for ANY amp that will run low ohms until thermal shut down it's worth a shot.

It will depend on amp and load demand. As much as I like the Peavey amps and all that comes with them, in a way, they fall short of their two ohm rating due to the power supply limitation.

Ill bet anyone an amplifier that the ipr2 7500 will outperform the inuke 12k by a gaziliion in a 'big picture' shoot out. Maybe even just in output power.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

post #186 of 205 Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does an ipr 3000 put out in bridged mode? Really 3,000 and can it sustain it?
post #187 of 205 Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 723
I would bet it could considering the specs on the larger models still stick pretty close to the true ratings.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #188 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
CV techs have kinda been hit or miss on things they have to said in the past. BUT that being said if your willing to test this idea that would be great for the rest of us to know. Also for those that use these in pro audio I wonder how hard they are pushing them?

There are quite a few people on here that push amps harder that some pro audio applications.

heeheh - re-reading this thread and chuckling. I've been in my theater room all day and listening to Pandora shuffle. I went back in my equipment room and felt the back of the Crown XLS-5000 in one particularly bass heavy song. Warm air? First time I've felt warm air blowing out the Crown XLS-5000. Clip lights were tickling with each heavy bass hit. My lights were dimming in the basement even with two dedicated 20 amp circuits run to my equipment rack. (The Crown XLS-5000 is on it's own dedicated 20amp line, and my Sherbourn 7-350 and AVR/other equipment is on the other one). I love my pair of JTR ported captivators - they are effortless -- even after hours of pounding! To your point - I doubt many pro audio applications run their pro amps at 2ohm stereo for hours on end to that level --- but it's nice to have quality gear (Crown XLS-5000, Sherbourn 7-350, JTR speakers and subs) that doesn't even strain when you are enjoying it. A couple years ago I had a fan modded EP4000 and was playing it to the point of clipping at 2 ohm stereo the caps and it bellied up - the Crown is a far superior product and I've no question on its reliability. I'm pretty darn pleased with my whole setup at this point in time. My eight ultimax 18" drivers should arrive mid this week. I'll get to play with the JTR powerhouse ported vs the eight budget sealed going forward and just wearing a smile thinking about it!

Going to compare the three amps I have - iNuke DSP 6000, to Crown XLS-5000, to Cerwin Vega CV-5000 amps on the sealed subs in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
post #189 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 06:47 PM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
heeheh - re-reading this thread and chuckling. I've been in my theater room all day and listening to Pandora shuffle. I went back in my equipment room and felt the back of the Crown XLS-5000 in one particularly bass heavy song. Warm air? First time I've felt warm air blowing out the Crown XLS-5000. Clip lights were tickling with each heavy bass hit. My lights were dimming in the basement even with two dedicated 20 amp circuits run to my equipment rack. (The Crown XLS-5000 is on it's own dedicated 20amp line, and my Sherbourn 7-350 and AVR/other equipment is on the other one). I love my pair of JTR ported captivators - they are effortless -- even after hours of pounding! To your point - I doubt many pro audio applications run their pro amps at 2ohm stereo for hours on end to that level --- but it's nice to have quality gear (Crown XLS-5000, Sherbourn 7-350, JTR speakers and subs) that doesn't even strain when you are enjoying it. A couple years ago I had a fan modded EP4000 and was playing it to the point of clipping at 2 ohm stereo the caps and it bellied up - the Crown is a far superior product and I've no question on its reliability. I'm pretty darn pleased with my whole setup at this point in time. My eight ultimax 18" drivers should arrive mid this week. I'll get to play with the JTR powerhouse ported vs the eight budget sealed going forward and just wearing a smile thinking about it!

Going to compare the three amps I have - iNuke DSP 6000, to Crown XLS-5000, to Cerwin Vega CV-5000 amps on the sealed subs in the next few weeks.
I would just about ship you my crest 7.5 or peavey 7500 to join the ranks of testing if you really wanted to Lemme know I am just now in the process of seeing how they each do with just a single channel running as I kept shutting down both running each channel at a 2 ohm load. Power supply stuffs. I will have more possibly on this later this evening, but if not, definitely tomorrow.

post #190 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That could be cool! Are you not using either of them right now? What are you using instead?

post #191 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 PM
The Truth Hz

I am actually using both now. I was just running the crest but I am trying to see how much better it does just running one channel of each at 2ohm, instead of all 8 on the single amp, 4 per side at 2 ohm...

post #192 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ when I went from two channels to one chennel per amp not only did I avoid the shut downs the subs sound noticably better at and just prior to clipping. WOTW type scenes at refernce.
post #193 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM
The Truth Hz

I can already tell I get substantially better sound out of doing it this way. One note, I have the crest gain at 12:00 and to level match with the subs on the peavey, I am actually a little closer to 1:30. Could be differences in the gain knobs, moreso than differences in the amps methinks, but something to keep in mind for those that would do the same type setup....

post #194 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't it amazing how much better it sounds? And articulate. Play some heavy material and you can actually see the cones having more control vs. two channels driven.

If you are level matching wouldn't you expect one gain to be different from the other?

Or are you talking about gain matching?
post #195 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 08:12 PM
The Truth Hz

The boxes are identically placed in each corner left and right. I plan to measure the response between each and the combo maybe tomorrow am, but so far, I am finally seeing the clear benefit of the crest over the peavey. I have been able to still kill the channel of the peavey and the crest keeps rocking. No issues at all. Even dropping the gain down 3dB on the peavey, it still gives up the goat around the same time of the track I was running it on. I don't know if switching to channel B would change anything but I might try that just for fun.

post #196 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Intersting. JD told me flat out the crest would not solve the shut down problem.

Even more interesting is you are shutting down on only one channel driven.

They both use the same power supply i think, amongst most other parts.

There's more aesthetic differences than hardware....

Ya know, when I got the one amp back from peavey they had made a couple corrections that resulted in the amp now shutting off before the other four I have. Before I sent it off it shut off at the same time as the rest so whatever they did was wrong. Sent it back a second time and it got a new main board. Haven't had time to test it yet but will soon because i sold one and nees to make sure its up to par.

Maybe your peavey has something going on with it. ??
post #197 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

SO Beast your doing exactly the same test on 1 channel of the Peavey and 1 channel of the Crest?

Doesnt the Crest have more Caps or something I dont remember?

post #198 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 08:32 PM
The Truth Hz

The bank of 4 caps on the crest they upped to 1100uF from 600uF in the peavey. Both seem virtually identical inside from what I can tell other than that. The funny part is the crest has it's componentry on the bottom of the box where the peavey has it all mounted above (basically upside down) and the front plates are backwards from each other. Not sure what drove them to do it this way, but the difference it would make I guess is null...

post #199 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe Peavey had a OEM client that wanted to add a few things to the design and used specifically the Peavey amps. I havent a clue and just guessing. I dont think Danley would care how the boards were positioned so long as it worked properly.

post #200 of 205 Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 PM
The Truth Hz

Danley? I don't think Danley had anything to do with it from the getgo! Haha. Just messing with you man

post #201 of 205 Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 AM
The Truth Hz

Well, ran through all kinds of material last night. Ears a little raw this afternoon actually Anyways, I managed to still thermal both amps, but the weird thing was I never did it at the same time. Some scenes would shut down the crest, others would shut down the peavey. WoTW didn't actually shut down either as a matter of fact. I guess next thing to do is go to 4 ohm stereo on each amp. I never had issues previously running this way, and it appears the wattage is still about the same so that is good... Definitely strange findings though...

post #202 of 205 Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Man you must have been jamming.....

Maybe your SI are dipping below two ohms.
post #203 of 205 Old 08-03-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Well, ran through all kinds of material last night. Ears a little raw this afternoon actually Anyways, I managed to still thermal both amps, but the weird thing was I never did it at the same time. Some scenes would shut down the crest, others would shut down the peavey. WoTW didn't actually shut down either as a matter of fact. I guess next thing to do is go to 4 ohm stereo on each amp. I never had issues previously running this way, and it appears the wattage is still about the same so that is good... Definitely strange findings though...
B- We POUNDED on my peaveys for several hours yesterday, including some crazy electronic stuff that Mark and Austin wanted to jam to. As you know I'm running them in 4 ohms and even with the DDTs glowing solid at times, I had no issues at all. No tripped breakers, no shutdowns, etc during sustained low hits in the +10 volume range running quite a bit hot. On the 30A line I'm even sharing the line with the inuke 6000, although that amp wasn't drven as hard since it was driving nearfield subs.

post #204 of 205 Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Man you must have been jamming.....

Maybe your SI are dipping below two ohms.
Could be, still it surprises me generally that the issue almost alternated between scenes. When I jam, though, I can tend to scare most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
B- We POUNDED on my peaveys for several hours yesterday, including some crazy electronic stuff that Mark and Austin wanted to jam to. As you know I'm running them in 4 ohms and even with the DDTs glowing solid at times, I had no issues at all. No tripped breakers, no shutdowns, etc during sustained low hits in the +10 volume range running quite a bit hot. On the 30A line I'm even sharing the line with the inuke 6000, although that amp wasn't drven as hard since it was driving nearfield subs.
Yep, I am sure they got a little warm to the touch after yesterday haha. I owe you a callback and will do so soon.

post #205 of 205 Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to say thank you to you guys updating this thread. I've been reading it from day one and following along with the progress of these amps I've got my eye on the Peavey/Crest 7.5 for sub duty and this information has been very valuable!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page