Alpine 1243D Build - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > Alpine 1243D Build
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 09:56 PM 12-16-2011
Hey guys,
Finally got all the components together for my build! I will be building (2) sealed Alpine 12's for HT using the New Alpine 1243d sub that has been generating some buzz lately. I will power them with a Behringer EP2500. This is my first build...but I am gonna try and do a High gloss Piano black on them. I will try and post pics as I go! I got all my MDF cut today on the CNC machine.

CKWells's Avatar CKWells 12:00 AM 12-17-2011
Absolutely need pics. I'm very interested in the same thing.

Best of luck with it!!
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 10:47 AM 12-17-2011
that's great!

if you know what you are doing, ignore this. if not, maybe you can pick up some tips from this guy. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...0&page=1&pp=35

he got some pretty good results with a black diamond lacquer with mirror finish.
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 10:34 PM 12-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

that's great!

if you know what you are doing, ignore this. if not, maybe you can pick up some tips from this guy. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...0&page=1&pp=35

he got some pretty good results with a black diamond lacquer with mirror finish.

Thanks a lot for the link. I looked it over! I've actually got the boxes built, sanded, and primed. Tomorrow will sand and see if I need more primer...if not I will shoot them and maybe add first coat of clear. I do Automotive painting for a living, so I will try and get these in the booth. I will add a couple pics...didn't take any of the actual construction since its a simple 2 cu ft box. (boring). But will take more as I move along on the finishing side. Also...after a router mishap...I decided to make these downfire. The router kept popping the screw that holds the guide...so I decided to just use a jigsaw. But...no big deal. I actually prefer a downfire sub. So steps so far:1)make a double baffle......screw up double baffle 2)assemble box using wood glue and staples. 2)use wood filler and then sand all surfaces to ensure clean seams and no staple holes 3)go back a second time with automotive filler (Icing) to further smooth seams and sand again 4)clean thoroughly with a 'very' slightly damp paper towel 5)applied 2-3 medium/heavy coats of 2K Primer (if you're not familiar with this stuff, it provides excellent coverage)
Tomorrow...i will check for any imperfections and add more icing if necessary. Then dry sand with D A sander with 500 grit paper. Maybe throw a couple coats of black paint. Will try and Update tomorrow with pics
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 03:08 PM 01-13-2012
Here are some pics. They sound incredible!

Attachment 234027
As was mentioned...had a hiccup with the circles....so decided to go downfiring.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 03:12 PM 01-13-2012
* edit sorry pics uploaded twice
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 03:27 PM 01-13-2012
as can be seen in the 4th or 5th pic....after one coat of clearcoat there is some orange peel. Next step, is to sand with 1200 grit and apply another coat of clear. Next step, is to sand with 1200 and apply another coat of clear. The more layers of clear just add protection and depth. Next step is to sand with 1500 and then 3000 (the pic with the dull finish) and use a high speed buffer and heavy duty rubbing compund. In this case, we use Wizards brand. Then follow up with a medium compound, and then work your way down to a glaze and polish. Finished with a wax job. Sorry if the pics arent the best...used my phone. For comparative purposes the finish came out better than most of the cars we work on (mostly Mercedes).
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 04:32 PM 01-13-2012
"For comparative purposes the finish came out better than most of the cars we work on (mostly Mercedes)."

:-) three letters...FNA!

there are lots of guys who would like a gloss/mirror black finish in as few steps as possible, can you provide the shortest path to 90% of your outcome as possible?

also, in your estimation, is it in any way possible to get close with rattle cans? i'm not asking for me, but for the countless guys with limited resources...
omegaslast's Avatar omegaslast 04:45 PM 01-13-2012
applying several coats of clear coat with rattle cans will probably result in a lot of uneven depth, then when you go to sand with 1500, and 3000 grit sand paper, you might chew through more clear coat than anticipated, or not enough, and buffing it will leave super uneven results.
bullterrier's Avatar bullterrier 04:51 PM 01-13-2012
They look great!

I was looking to model these subs but the specs are missing Mms and Cms?
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 04:52 PM 01-13-2012
Quote:

"For comparative purposes the finish came out better than most of the cars we work on (mostly Mercedes)."

:-)

there are lots of guys who would like a gloss/mirror black finish in as few steps as possible, can you provide the shortest path to 90% of your outcome as possible?

also, in your estimation, is it in any way possible to get close with rattle cans? i'm not asking for me, but for the countless guys with limited resources...

I think a rattle can could do a "moderately" decent job if that's the only option. Apply two to three coats of paint. Wetsand with 1200 after completely dry to scuff or dull surface. I have used a couple spray can clearcoats that were decent. These were not the ones found at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. The one you want can be purchased from an automotive paint supply store. They are pretty expensive compared to others. Off the top of my head....I think the DuPont/Nason (can't remember which line) is around $18 per can. However, they can spray a very nice pattern. Much better than a run off the mill spraycan. Use a scuff pad between coats of clear. Use a cheese cloth or clean paper towel to clean. Apply second coat of clear. And third, if desired. I suggest 3 coat minimum. Lightly wetsand and buff, being very careful not to burn through. I will be glad to help anyone with their finishing. I have said before that I work part time for a friend that deals in Ultra High end gear, and can say that although the pictures may not do these justice, with the right tools and patience you can make these boxes look as good as any High end piano gloss gear.
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 05:10 PM 01-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

applying several coats of clear coat with rattle cans will probably result in a lot of uneven depth, then when you go to sand with 1500, and 3000 grit sand paper, you might chew through more clear coat than anticipated, or not enough, and buffing it will leave super uneven results.

If you have ever tried the DuPont can, then you will know that it sprays a nice 3 1/2" pattern. Not like most cans that are blotchy
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 05:16 PM 01-13-2012
"I think a rattle can could do a "moderately" decent job if that's the only option. Apply two to three coats of paint. Wetsand with 1200 after completely dry to scuff or dull surface. I have used a couple spray can clearcoats that were decent. These were not the ones found at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. The one you want can be purchased from an automotive paint supply store. They are pretty expensive compared to others. Off the top of my head....I think the DuPont/Nason (can't remember which line) is around $18 per can. However, they can spray a very nice pattern. Much better than a run off the mill spraycan. Use a scuff pad between coats of clear. Use a cheese cloth or clean paper towel to clean. Apply second coat of clear. And third, if desired. I suggest 3 coat minimum. Lightly wetsand and buff, being very careful not to burn through. I will be glad to help anyone with their finishing. I have said before that I work part time for a friend that deals in Ultra High end gear, and can say that although the pictures may not do these justice, with the right tools and patience you can make these boxes look as good as any High end piano gloss gear."

if you ever get a chance to show how that would work even on a simple 1 square foot panel, i'm sure lots of guys would be interested, as this question has come up many, many, many times...
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 05:23 PM 01-13-2012
Quote:

"I think a rattle can could do a "moderately" decent job if that's the only option. Apply two to three coats of paint. Wetsand with 1200 after completely dry to scuff or dull surface. I have used a couple spray can clearcoats that were decent. These were not the ones found at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. The one you want can be purchased from an automotive paint supply store. They are pretty expensive compared to others. Off the top of my head....I think the DuPont/Nason (can't remember which line) is around $18 per can. However, they can spray a very nice pattern. Much better than a run off the mill spraycan. Use a scuff pad between coats of clear. Use a cheese cloth or clean paper towel to clean. Apply second coat of clear. And third, if desired. I suggest 3 coat minimum. Lightly wetsand and buff, being very careful not to burn through. I will be glad to help anyone with their finishing. I have said before that I work part time for a friend that deals in Ultra High end gear, and can say that although the pictures may not do these justice, with the right tools and patience you can make these boxes look as good as any High end piano gloss gear."

if you ever get a chance to show how that would work even on a simple 1 square foot panel, i'm sure lots of guys would be interested, as this question has come up many, many, many times...

I can do that. FYI...the clear I'm referring to is used for jambing in...door jambs,under hood,etc. it sprays a nice even pattern. I do wheel repair , and in a pinch, have used the rattle can for that and it gives amazing results for a spraycan. Sometimes if it's something small like a mirror on a car or other small part we will use it. It's outstanding
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 08:36 PM 01-13-2012
a step by step guide for the average joe would be very valuable.

if you are so inclined, start a new thread and details the options from 75% with rattle cans to 99% with your method.

i wouldn't beat this dead horse save for the fact that so many folks keep asking about how to get a semi-mirror finish on a reasonable budget.
bigloggerhead's Avatar bigloggerhead 10:22 PM 01-16-2012
Looks sweet bro! Can' t wait to see 'em in person.
i3ossman's Avatar i3ossman 07:02 AM 01-17-2012
Sweet build, I'm doing piano black on my next box(s). Coming from an automotive backround/past I can tell you guys its very easy. Its all in the prep work and if you think youll get that finish buying rattle cans from well known retailers youll be very disappointed. Also PATIENCE between coats! Ill have to find the link to the place I used to order cans from, theyre the highest quality and like clown said the spray pattern is much better than ones youre all used to.

The subs sound awesome do they not? How many cubes did you give them? Like I said in my build thread the power and quality of these things for the money are impossible to beat. Mine are starting to break in now and sound so f'ing good at all levels for music. Watched bits and pieces of transformers dark of the moon the other night and I was extremely pleased with them.
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 08:14 AM 01-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ossman View Post

Sweet build, I'm doing piano black on my next box(s). Coming from an automotive backround/past I can tell you guys its very easy. Its all in the prep work and if you think youll get that finish buying rattle cans from well known retailers youll be very disappointed. Also PATIENCE between coats! Ill have to find the link to the place I used to order cans from, theyre the highest quality and like clown said the spray pattern is much better than ones youre all used to.

The subs sound awesome do they not? How many cubes did you give them? Like I said in my build thread the power and quality of these things for the money are impossible to beat. Mine are starting to break in now and sound so f'ing good at all levels for music. Watched bits and pieces of transformers dark of the moon the other night and I was extremely pleased with them.

Thanks man. You're box is pretty amazing. I bet that puts out some serious sound running quads stacked!!! I haven't spent a lot of time with mine yet, but first impressions were outstanding! You're right....most important thing is prep work when it comes to paint. I tell my helpers all the time that you save time by doing it right the first time. Otherwise you have to go back and fix mistakes. I am going to do a sample of what can be done with with the spraycan clear. And do a step by step guide.
mynym's Avatar mynym 10:34 AM 01-17-2012
Quote:

a step by step guide for the average joe would be very valuable.

if you are so inclined, start a new thread and details the options from 75% with rattle cans to 99% with your method.

i wouldn't beat this dead horse save for the fact that so many folks keep asking about how to get a semi-mirror finish on a reasonable budget.

X2 I would love to see a step by step guide for average joes on this.

Huge thank you
tgse3's Avatar tgse3 12:11 PM 01-22-2012
Did you leave the alpine logos on or have you tried taking these off the cone yet?
clownaphobia's Avatar clownaphobia 06:19 PM 01-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

Did you leave the alpine logos on or have you tried taking these off the cone yet?

They are downfire so I left them on. Although I did quickly try and peel them off. (didn't seem too easy). Maybe a heatgun or blow dryer would help. But like I said....I only tried for a second and then decided not to worry with it.
Up
Mobile  Desktop