(3) Behringer A500 for LCR, thoughts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If I could get a quick opinion on running (3) Behringer A500's for active powering of some econowaves I'm building here soon.
My signal chain would be Denon 3805 to DCX2496 to (3) A500's powering LCR each channel consisting of a DE250-8 cd & AE TD15M-4. I opted for the (4) ohm TD15M for a few reasons & I think I made the correct choice.
I would really like to know If the noise floor on these Behringers Is low enough to not hear any unwanted hiss coming from the compression drivers. I'm also sure 125w @ 8 ohm should be more than enough for the CD, but will 185w @ 4 ohms be enough for the 15"? And Is/would there be a problem running 1 channel @ 8 ohms & the other @ 4 ohms?
Or should I just ditch the the A500/DCX combo & get a INuke 1000DSP per channel? Slightly hesitant about the INuke's ability to deliver clean sound for mains, also the fan noise could be a issue I would have to deal with.
All this comes because of the stack-able coupon post made earlier today, [http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?t=1381808]
making the A500 around 183$ (3) = 550$, seems like a good deal.
Thank you for taking the time to read and or reply,
and Merry Christ_mas to all.

Jeff L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 564
You could probably find a used Emotiva amplifier for cheaper than that. The efficiency of those econowaves allow you to get by with a lot less power for home use. Just my opinion though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #3 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Just yesterday I was looking at the Emotiva XPA-3 for 599$, (2) of them, reason being I want the option to use active or passive when do my build. That means (6) channels of amplification. Ah.. wheres the 6 channel amp's? lol. I should probably stick w/ passive, but I've never done anything right the first time, hence active gives me options..
post #4 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The A500s are good amps and at a fraction under 200W, you'll be near 120dB at 1m which should be loud enough on the 15Ms. I looked at buying a huge stack of them early on in my build to power the surrounds (active 3 way) but picked up second hand Yamaha pro amps (mainly) for less money or I would have.

The only thing I don't like about them is the gaudy front panel, but as they were going into a rack in another room, that was not going to be a bother for me. It can be changed out fairly easily and there are DIY project pages online if you wanted to do it.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx Erich & A9X. For the money It seems like a good deal. I was mostly worried about these being noisy amps for CD's (from what I've read compression drivers exaggerate noise In the signal chain) The DCX I read, Is also a major culprit noise, but for the price I can't find anything else that comes close (3 in 6 out).
Slowly gathering parts.

JL
post #6 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The Art SLA4 should get some consideration. $370 for 140W x 4 @ 4ohm, even only using 3 channels thats a great deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWj5CUl7rio

I'm guessing that the xpa3 will sound better.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWj5CUl7rio

I'm guessing that the xpa3 will sound better.

Seeing that video made me take that amp off my list when I upgraded my components.

post #9 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HINDIKUSH View Post

Thanx Erich & A9X. For the money It seems like a good deal. I was mostly worried about these being noisy amps for CD's (from what I've read compression drivers exaggerate noise In the signal chain)

Measured noise in the amp is about -100dB, which is usually enough, but final system noise depends upon the gain structure - get that wrong and you will have a noisy system. get it right, even with modest gear and it will be quiet.
Quote:

The DCX I read, Is also a major culprit noise, but for the price I can't find anything else that comes close (3 in 6 out).
Slowly gathering parts.

JL

The DCX was designed to be used in pro systems live, so it is set up for a high level in and out (+20dBu). Use it differently (or unmodified) and it can be noisy, but that's not a fault of the unit, but rather how it's used. Mine are modified with all new analogue I/O stages and volume controls and they are silent.

For less grief, just buy a couple of MiniDSP 2x4. Probably cheaper too.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The Audio Critic also tested it (with an AP) and it produced decent results. Probably tested with VC full scale though.
http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index...Id=22&blogId=1

If it's an issue to use it at less than full scale, then perhaps look for something else.

I can't find my schematic at the moment to see if I can see a reason why it would distort like that with the VC in different positions. Seems a fairly amateur mistake to make, and not get picked up in basic pre-production testing.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Whew..lol
Sometimes I thank myself for procrastinating. Impulse buying has always gotten me into trouble.

I did not watch that entire video, but from what I did, I do not see It as a huge Issue for my use. Once I set my gains, I never plan on touching them again. Unless I completely missed the point they were showing/experiencing.

What actually drew me to this solution was the [i]to good to be true[i] stack-able coupon thread this morning, and me thinking ...hey I feel like buying something... doh

Your right A9X, I think I will save myself this grief I knew would arise when trying to integrate pro audio gear, yet alone cheaper gear. I had originally wanted the MiniDSP solution, I should know by now to stick with my first pick. Which also brings me back to the Emotiva XPA-3, or similar (i.e. Anthem, Rotel) for powering my LCR's.

Thanks again guys for the input. Have a Merry Christmas.

JL
post #12 of 16 Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whew..lol
Sometimes I thank myself for procrastinating. Impulse buying has always gotten me into trouble.

I did not watch that entire video, but from what I did, I do not see It as a huge Issue for my use. Once I set my gains, I never plan on touching them again. Unless I completely missed the point they were showing/experiencing.

No what the video showed was that at some settings that the distortion increased greatly, so if that was the setting you needed for your system, well, that's just a bit of bad luck old chap.

I wondered if the UK video was just a bad batch of A500, but I found this older test just now which suggests it is a problem with the design.
A500 test and measurements

I bet it's an easy fix if you're comfortable working on electronics.

Quote:

What actually drew me to this solution was the [i]to good to be true[i] stack-able coupon thread this morning, and me thinking ...hey I feel like buying something... doh

Snooze, lose.

Quote:

Your right A9X, I think I will save myself this grief I knew would arise when trying to integrate pro audio gear, yet alone cheaper gear. I had originally wanted the MiniDSP solution, I should know by now to stick with my first pick. Which also brings me back to the Emotiva XPA-3, or similar (i.e. Anthem, Rotel) for powering my LCR's.

Thanks again guys for the input. Have a Merry Christmas.

JL

The Emotivas will probably be just fine, but I think they're more expensive, no? Second hand Rotels would also be a good choice if you're happy to shop around and buy in singles.
Not sure what else to suggest for amps as I'm not in the US.

The MiniDSP seems to cause less issues in domestic systems. Not sure which of the plug ins would be best to use 2 MD across 3 speakers.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I did get a crackle out of a dirty vol pot, only gripe

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #14 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go with the Emotiva. Good, clean, quiet, reliable, cheap power. 5 year warranty.
If you go for the better product, you rarely have to look back.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I really do like the Emotiva's. (2) XPA-3's should be good. Used would be ok, and I have time to keep an eye open. My deadline for absolutely purchasing something Is centered around receiving my drivers from the AE group buy. So... I could have quite awhile to keep looking.
Seeing this thread was brought back up, any opinions on using (3) Crown XTI 1000's?
I keep worrying about a low enough noise floor & hearing hiss from the CD's. Is this a justifiable worry? I only mention the Crown's because I have access to some, cheap/used.

JL
post #16 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I really do like the Emotiva's. (2) XPA-3's should be good. Used would be ok, and I have time to keep an eye open. My deadline for absolutely purchasing something Is centered around receiving my drivers from the AE group buy. So... I could have quite awhile to keep looking.
Seeing this thread was brought back up, any opinions on using (3) Crown XTI 1000's?
I keep worrying about a low enough noise floor & hearing hiss from the CD's. Is this a justifiable worry? I only mention the Crown's because I have access to some, cheap/used.

JL

The 500a's have a bit of hiss and buzz, but with conventional drivers, i dont hear it at the LP.... You cant use the RCA inputs as they buzz the worse...

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Behringer A500 Reference Amplifier
Gear in this thread - A500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page