Update on Digirout CNC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This is an update on my Digirout CNC. At one point it appeared I would never get the machine, the company appeared to have dropped off the face of the earth after I sent them the down payment. Things have turned around in a big way!

After I finally reached him he returned the deposit but continued to build the machine. It took months but I finally received it. It is very well built and is performing great! The communications issues have also been resolved. Rick stays in constant communications now. I'm not sure how he made any money on this machine, it should have cost at least double what I paid.

One good/bad thing about Rick is that he is a perfectionist. It's good that he was apparently constantly redesigning the machine as he was building it because I got a better machine as a result. The bad side of that is that it took several months to get it. If you want a CNC and if you don't mind waiting this is the way to go. If Rick seems to drop off the face of the earth on you please contact me and I'll try to help you with that. He and I are now e-mailing and talking regularly, he answers questions usually within minutes or hours.

I still have a few finishing touches to do on mine. I'm making my own dust collector shoe and I'm machining the parts for it on the machine. It seems to be working great! It will take time to discover any possible problems but right now I'm really happy with it. My brother Marshall was here between Christmas and New Year and he was impressed with it. His machine is a Digital Tool which was also built by Rick. (Rick and his brother were the founders of Digital Tool)

The attached photo was taken before the spindle was mounted. I'll try to get some more photos later and post them.

mk
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 101
WOW....things worked out. Great to hear.

Having a CNC would be awesome but I wouldn't be able to use it enough for it to be worth while. Cant wait to see some more of your projects.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i definitely want my own cnc rig. that would be sweet!!

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #4 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
post #5 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Do you mind moving to Colorado

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #6 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Liked: 14
Nice. I am glad to hear it worked out okay. Has he started to give new "turn around" times? Or is it still just open ended?
post #7 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Monte,

When will the new Main CBTs be built? Any updates on the sub-sub?

JSS
post #8 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I always wanted to build one of those ... at least one that I can fit a 48x48 sheet... how much did it cost you?

post #9 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Monte,

JSS

Should be any time, a batch of boxes have already been shipped to PE.

mk
post #10 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris View Post

I always wanted to build one of those ... at least one that I can fit a 48x48 sheet... how much did it cost you?

Only $6800. I added some extra steel to the table frame, bought the 1.5 HP dust collector, etc. With all that plus the shipping of the machine I'll end up with about $8K in it.

Here is the Digirout web site... http://www.digirout.com/

mk
post #11 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfiend View Post

Nice. I am glad to hear it worked out okay. Has he started to give new "turn around" times? Or is it still just open ended?

I think he's providing customers with more accurate completion time estimates now. The machine evolved somewhat while mine was being built. He changed to a different lead screw for the X axis and made some other changes. That's a lot of what took so long, he was apparently redesigning it as he went on mine. Now maybe he can duplicate mine within a more reasonable time as long as he doesn't continue to improve it. At some point you have to call the design finished and ship the thing!

mk
post #12 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I worked a bit on this when I visited Greece last fall... at my cousin's cabinet shop... this thing even changed bits automatically... I wish I had access to it here.

post #13 of 21 Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post

Should be any time, a batch of boxes have already been shipped to PE.

mk

Here are some sims Don drew up, I was curious what Legendre shading would look like on a straight array......see attached. With a large enough line (like your near-floor-to-ceiling mains), it would work very well to cover a seating area and avoid any lobing issues up until the grating frequency. It also gives you a few mre dB compared to Hann shading. Using a very gentle curve to the line would even out the small lobing present as well....

What drives are you gonna use? Or are you gonna use CBT36 ceiling mounted?

JSS
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #14 of 21 Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Last one:

JSS
LL
post #15 of 21 Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
he could use a better bracing strategy for the sides.
LL

Listen. It's All Good.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

he could use a better bracing strategy for the sides.

Actually I added the three rails along the sides, he also suggested diagonals. Note the 6" x 6" square 1/4" thick steel plates connecting the middle and lower rail, this turns these two rails into an H frame, it isn't going anywhere. I originally planned to put more between the middle and upper rail but believe me, it isn't necessary. The thing is solid as a rock! It is in effect like two diagonals or an X between each set of legs.

mk
post #17 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some sims Don drew up, I was curious what Legendre shading would look like on a straight array......see attached. With a large enough line (like your near-floor-to-ceiling mains), it would work very well to cover a seating area and avoid any lobing issues up until the grating frequency. It also gives you a few mre dB compared to Hann shading. Using a very gentle curve to the line would even out the small lobing present as well....

What drives are you gonna use? Or are you gonna use CBT36 ceiling mounted?

JSS

The main lines were originally not shaded but now they are Hann shaded and it was an improvement. Legendre might have been better. Eventually I will replace these with near floor to ceiling free standing CBT's with just enough arc to get good coverage over the seating area. It will probably be awhile, lots of other things going on these days.

mk
post #18 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Monte,

JSS

Somehow I misread this question originally, I was thinking you were asking about the new CBT36 PE will be offering. My new mains are a ways out due to other things going on. Also, the "sub-sub" is kind of on a back burner but I'm still contemplating ideas on how to suspend the panels. I figure if I make them big enough I won't need much linear excursion so that should make it easier.

I'm almost recovered from my knee injury (ACL surgery) now and I have two new (larger) main parachutes that should come in any day so after that I'll be spending more time jumping for awhile than speaker building. It's been over four months...major withdrawal symptoms! Gotta get the knees in the breeze!

mk
post #19 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope rehab goes well.

Dialogue with Don revealed that for a flat array, Legendre gives you one or two more dB, but not as much pattern control as Hann, but they are very similar. How did you go about shading the main lines? Also, with the new main CBTs, will you re-use the drivers, or all new ones?

To tell the truth, looking at the Hann pattern, slightly curved CBT will get you a bit more as far as seat to seat FR as the control freq will be lower for a CBT vs a straight line (the larger the curve, the lower the control freq), but not a gigantic difference.

JSS

Hann shading for a straight line attached.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #20 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Last one:

JSS
LL
post #21 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope rehab goes well.

Dialogue with Don revealed that for a flat array, Legendre gives you one or two more dB, but not as much pattern control as Hann, but they are very similar. How did you go about shading the main lines? Also, with the new main CBTs, will you re-use the drivers, or all new ones?

To tell the truth, looking at the Hann pattern, slightly curved CBT will get you a bit more as far as seat to seat FR as the control freq will be lower for a CBT vs a straight line (the larger the curve, the lower the control freq), but not a gigantic difference.

JSS

Hann shading for a straight line attached.

It was a painful complete rewire of the mains to add the Hann shading. The theatre was down for remodeling at the time so the speakers, screen, everything was moved out of the room anyway to get rid of that God Awful original color scheme. I figured that was my opportunity to do the shading.

I most likely will reuse the same drivers. I may add a few if needed depending on how long they end up being. I would also like to add the little tweeters like in the center and turn them into a 3-way design.

mk
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page