post #331 of 515 Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Looks a lot like the PSI recone'd eD motor Ricci tested.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=40

Aight guy... time for a group hug!

Pretty much the same motor they use in all their 7 series far as I know.
Alex may have to chime in on this, but I'm 90% sure this is an early prototype of the current driver in the a7-450. I had this driver over at the ED facilities last week and we couldnt really tell if it was a prototype without tearing it apart. I think the only real difference was a 4 layer VC vs 8. This one is also a dual 4 ohm VC vs the single 8 on the data-bass site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 515 Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

This one is also a dual 4 ohm VC vs the single 8 on the data-bass site.

Mine is a dual 4 ohm. Or at least it was when it came from eD in its original 13av2 form. I noticed Josh put that on DB but when David tested them they were dual 4. I figured for me it was irrelevant either way.
I agree that motor looks an awful lot like the ones I have. Send it over to David with PSI and have him recone it for you.
post #333 of 515 Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I can recone it myself. The kit costs 200 though.
post #334 of 515 Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Why do you think anyone has to explain their business decisions to you? You told me you own some business, so what you tell your customers the in's and out's of your business? Gimme a break. Nothing was a personal attack, quit being a drama queen, geezus.

What is your problem, guy? I have never told you or anyone that I owned ANY business, nor did I imply or insinuate it. Not once, ever, in any situation, online or in real life. I don't get what your motivation is for attacking me by completely making stuff up. Does it make you feel big to belittle or bully someone? Way to go! \\o/

I think I finally get it: asking questions is not allowed. Lying and attacking people is encouraged. It's exactly like CHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Nube-You have very high expectations. We've talked about it before. I give people the benefit of the doubt but you talk like you expect 100% from a business all of the time. I like high expectations though-especially if I'm the consumer. I've just gotten accustomed to waiting now.

Nah, not 100%. I totally understand a few mistakes, hence why I accept that Ricci messed up. Sh*t happens. It's when patterns of that stuff start forming that the wheat is separated from the chaff.

I wish I had been wrong about this and CHT, because it would have meant everyone would have avoided a LOT of headaches and online drama, plus it'd mean there were more solid vendors out there. Sorry, bud.
post #335 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I've been drinking so lets mix it up a bit. (White Russians)

N8DOGG is a fanboy of Mach 5. That's fine. No harm no foul. We all have them. I used to be a semi fanboy before I saw the light.

Wiisounds..I don't know man...thanks for sending all the drivers to Josh but seriously that idea that there are a LIST of drivers that can handle that spec...I also call BS. A pile of it.

SVRules...I'm not sure what to make of the posts. I think you usually tell it how it is, given the recent CHT stuff I've watched, but maybe you are a fanboy waiting on some FTW21"s. Maybe we both have ADHD. That's fine. They look like great drivers.

I'm in like purgatory or never-neverland. I'm just floating. I have no home. I used to be borderline CHT fanboy now after CC burned me and my friends I'm just like **** IT. Give me some excellent drivers in a great timeframe that are in stock. Please! New forum coming soon for HT-consider this the teaser! All truth, no mods!

Nube-You have very high expectations. We've talked about it before. I give people the benefit of the doubt but you talk like you expect 100% from a business all of the time. I like high expectations though-especially if I'm the consumer. I've just gotten accustomed to waiting now.

Bosso-That is cool you have this new driver(s) a select few may be able to buy soon. We've heard this since I joined avsforum-lets make it happen. Your knowledge is invaluable and thanks for contributing...but most of us are n00bs compared to you so take it easy on us. Did I hear there was a new ht audio forum?

Ricci-Oh if that amp was only a BASH/Dayton. We could have all been singing kumbayyahh. No big deal-we will eventually get the UXL round tripped to Canada sometime. I bet by the time it is all done I could have just driven up to Mach5 and saved gas money overall by picking up 4 drivers. Thanks for doing all of the testing-it is great and it is definitely enhancing this hobby.

Mark-don't stop posting. Don't take that "out". Without the small driver shops, well we would just have the guys with money that have no brains and the guys with brains that have no money. You know who I'm talking about. I just want 4 pristine UXL-18s and I'll leave your email inbox forever. I promise.

All I have to say is GAME OF THRONES. Greatest series as of now (next to Godfather) and soon to be. I haven't even read the books and my brother raves about them. I'll start on the 2nd/3rd after this season. They are THICK.

I'm getting a bottle of black epoxy in the mail soon and I'm happier than ever. I'll seal this dustcap up and get you guys measurements. I hope they look like Ricci's.

Since my thread is nuked anyways here is what I plan to do once I have 4 drivers:

Do a horizontal across the stage with measurements.
Do a vertical in each front stage corner with measurements and different driver orientations. (firing into and out from the wall)
Do a 2 driver measurement exactly where the October GTG at my place was and compare.
Do a 2 driver by the center and driver on each side wall measurement.

Open to other suggestions.

If my UXL-18 Quad Pack doesn't work out I actually plan to take whomever's advice I read (gpmbc thread?) and build a vertical stack, in each front stage corner, of 8 or 10" drivers floor to ceiling. Why not. I have the FP14k already.

Good night now.

EDIT: Nice-I see some more posts!

Stormwind: RED SOLO CUP. I taught my 3 year old that crappy song. Is that wrong?

Hey I wasn't mentioned........lol J/K

I am happy all you guys are able to try different drivers because I cant afford to. I still am curious about the XXX 18" but I wil be sticking with Marks 21's. Then I plan on getting a pair of UXL's for Ricci's horn design.

But I do love to see all these builds. Awesome.
post #336 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

I can recone it myself. The kit costs 200 though.

I gave less than that to turn 12's into 18's. I'd at least hit him up about it. I know when I contacted eD they were incredibly expensive.
post #337 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

I taught my 3 year old that crappy song. Is that wrong?

The only thing wrong in your post is that your son isn't 3 for two more months. You can't even keep track of his age?
post #338 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 394
What is wrong with the LMS5400, is it in stock? I know, expensive, but they seem to work pretty good. All drivers will have their share of problems, hell, when the SVS ultra came out it had some major problems but it was eventually worked out and many consider that a great commercial product. Man I remember the good ole days when I ordered 8 eD 190v2's which arrived in 4 days. Cheap, simple, tons of solid bass for any movie, why are things getting so complicated? Huskeromaha, those drivers do look sexy though, but I don't look at any speakers or gear during a movie.

Bosso, interested in the 18.
post #339 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

What is wrong with the LMS5400, is it in stock? I know, expensive, but they seem to work pretty good.

They're available. Fedex dropped one off yesterday.
post #340 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

All I have to say is GAME OF THRONES. Greatest series as of now (next to Godfather) and soon to be. I haven't even read the books and my brother raves about them. I'll start on the 2nd/3rd after this season. They are THICK.

Since your thread is being AVS'd right now....

I started reading those when the first book came out WAY back when I had time to do things like read and long before there was talk of HBO. Yeah it is a lot of reading. Good though. Spoiler, the saga still isn't done and I have no idea where the hell it is going to end up there are so many branches and loose ends. I think it is on book 8 or something crazy. Maybe it never will. I am digging the series and so far the acting is great. I don't really like the gay crap that is getting added in because those are only alluded to in the books but I understand the "shock" value for TV ratings (No offense to anyone. to each their own. I just don't particularily enjoy watching graphic scenes of it.). I feel bad for people watching it that haven't read the books. I have read them all twice and I still have trouble figuring out what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

Mine is a dual 4 ohm. Or at least it was when it came from eD in its original 13av2 form. I noticed Josh put that on DB but when David tested them they were dual 4. I figured for me it was irrelevant either way.

It probably is a D4. I probably made a typo or was confused. I will fix it. At one point I had 13 different 18 or 21" sub drivers sitting there. It is difficult keeping all of the specs and attributes straight. I know there is a typo on the Zv3 driver entry because I believe I read it has a quad or 5 spider pack and I listed it as possibly a double or triple because I didn't know at the time. Sue me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Hey I wasn't mentioned........lol J/K

I believe there are certain minimum criteria required in order to get a dishonorable mention.

A.) Bitch a LOT more
B.) Make it a habit to post when drunk.
C.) Blow some s#!t up!
D.) For maximum effect: Bitch a lot while drinking heavily and Blowing some s#!t up! Then post about it. (Should this be called the Krypto method? )
post #341 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Time to hopefully get this thread back on track.

So I ordered a UXL from Mark awhile back and received mine sometime last week. I had my cabinets built by my friend Scott B (BBDrums) on the forums and he did a fantastic job taking care of the legwork for me. I got the box wired, stuffed, and 1 woofer going late last night and have some music going through it now to break it in. Right now I am running it bridged off an EP4000 and plan on picking up a clone amp later down the line. My speakers have no cosmetic issues, no dust caps falling off, stuck cones, etc. I have not had a chance to blare it yet, but I did run some short sines and test tones and did not hear any chirping or other anomalies. After the woofers break in more I will probably crank it and turn off all Audyssey/Mini-DSP EQ from my previous DTS-10's that these replaced until I can do a full calibration. I sold 2 DTS-10's because I have much more flexibility of placement. I also built 2 18" MBMs using B&C drivers that I hope I will not have to use now since I can put the subs in front of my room rather than behind me like my DTS-10's were.

Thanks to Husker and everyone else that has contributed in this thread, it made life easier knowing what to do before-hand.

(Good call on the spray paint for the Spax screws!)

post #342 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Looks great jmalto...like an exact copy!

The cabinet looks very well done.
post #343 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Looks great jmalto...like an exact copy!

The cabinet looks very well done.

+1

The cabinet design is VERY similar (identical??) to our eD built cabs. Cool!
post #344 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, Scott is an amazing and talented individual and while I've had the tools to do it myself, there is no way I would have come close to what he produced. I was originally going to go with eD to do the cabinets but Scott had the availability and since he built all my mains and surrounds I figured I owed him the honors of building my entire theater.

I will post some further impressions later in the week once I get the sub placed and the rest of the speakers calibrated.
post #345 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Time to hopefully get this thread back on track.

So I ordered a UXL from Mark awhile back and received mine sometime last week. I had my cabinets built by my friend Scott B (BBDrums) on the forums and he did a fantastic job taking care of the legwork for me. I got the box wired, stuffed, and 1 woofer going late last night and have some music going through it now to break it in. Right now I am running it bridged off an EP4000 and plan on picking up a clone amp later down the line. My speakers have no cosmetic issues, no dust caps falling off, stuck cones, etc. I have not had a chance to blare it yet, but I did run some short sines and test tones and did not hear any chirping or other anomalies. After the woofers break in more I will probably crank it and turn off all Audyssey/Mini-DSP EQ from my previous DTS-10's that these replaced until I can do a full calibration. I sold 2 DTS-10's because I have much more flexibility of placement. I also built 2 18" MBMs using B&C drivers that I hope I will not have to use now since I can put the subs in front of my room rather than behind me like my DTS-10's were.

Thanks to Husker and everyone else that has contributed in this thread, it made life easier knowing what to do before-hand.

(Good call on the spray paint for the Spax screws!)

Those are SWEET, congrats man!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #346 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Just love those CF cones.
post #347 of 515 Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

It probably is a D4. I probably made a typo or was confused. I will fix it. At one point I had 13 different 18 or 21" sub drivers sitting there. It is difficult keeping all of the specs and attributes straight. I know there is a typo on the Zv3 driver entry because I believe I read it has a quad or 5 spider pack and I listed it as possibly a double or triple because I didn't know at the time. Sue me...

I'd be afraid to sue you. I haven't paid my storage bill at Josh Ricci's House of Bass.
post #348 of 515 Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

I'd be afraid to sue you. I haven't paid my storage bill at Josh Ricci's House of Bass.

What if we made it class action?
post #349 of 515 Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish the FTW's had those sexy cones

post #350 of 515 Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I wish the FTW's had those sexy cones

Yeah man.

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #351 of 515 Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 616
I wish they all had single dish anodized aluminum cones.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #352 of 515 Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

See and I'm one of the few that doesn't like the look of the aluminum cones. To me they look like dinner plates lol

post #353 of 515 Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

See and I'm one of the few that doesn't like the look of the aluminum cones. To me they look like dinner plates lol

Lol.

I don't mind the anodized. But carbon fiber makes panty soup.

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #354 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_vai_rules View Post

lol.

I don't mind the anodized. But carbon fiber makes panty soup.

lol!
post #355 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 181
Greg...Cough...UXL-18 data...cough.cough...live...cough...panty...soaker...cough
post #356 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Bass Enabler

Yes!!!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #357 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greg...Cough...UXL-18 data...cough.cough...live...cough...panty...soaker...cough

Oh how I love compression data.

Josh, I'm having trouble finding the video of "gain being set wrong in signal chain"....

Help?
post #358 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Oh how I love compression data.

Josh, I'm having trouble finding the video of "gain being set wrong in signal chain"....

Help?

Hmmm...

Somehow I've got that on video.

EDIT: awww, fail .gif is fail.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #359 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

How much power was it seeing? Before the "problems in the signal chain," I mean?

post #360 of 515 Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and Ricci now that you have tested this woofer is it still a go in your Gjallerhorn?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page