post #361 of 515 Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

How much power was it seeing? Before the "problems in the signal chain," I mean?

The detailed scientific answer is...Careless use of a 12,000 watt amplifier, on a 240v 50A ac line, strapped to a single woofer = DEAD woofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Oh and Ricci now that you have tested this woofer is it still a go in your Gjallerhorn?

Yep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 515 Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote="Ricci"]
Careless use of a 12,000 watt amplifier, on a 240v 50A ac line, strapped to a single woofer /QUOTE]

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #363 of 515 Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

What are you talking about? None of that addresses the issues that were brought up about a huge portion of the industry, and nobody is attacking you. All I see is defensive posturing that must, at this point, highlight some serious fault lines.

That's the CC style of customer service and interaction: ad hominem personal attacks and loaded entreaties that amount to "well, if you think you can do it, you try it," never covering a single issue. You change the goalposts instead of addressing why you failed to score, then you and your groupies mock the other team. That's unnecessary silliness.

I'm not defending anyone or a fanboy of anything; but simply from an unbiased perspective, I understand the response of "well, if you think you can do it, you try it" mentality.
One of the most selfish and ignorant, yet most common, mindsets that people have is their expectations of others to accomplish more than themselves.
If you can't do any better, don't complain and if you complain, you better be ready to prove you can do better.
This is the philosophy that I live by and I don't expect other people to agree or even understand. I just wanted to express what I feel is the sentiment of your quoted paraphrase.

In terms of fixing the existing issues at hand, I agree in that it's a completely useless sentiment to express, especially for a business.
Customers want to know that an action plan is in place to fix the issues, not a runaround because there most likely is none.
post #364 of 515 Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

I'm not defending anyone or a fanboy of anything; but simply from an unbiased perspective, I understand the response of "well, if you think you can do it, you try it" mentality.
One of the most selfish and ignorant, yet most common, mindsets that people have is their expectations of others to accomplish more than themselves.
If you can't do any better, don't complain and if you complain, you better be ready to prove you can do better.
This is the philosophy that I live by and I don't expect other people to agree or even understand. I just wanted to express what I feel is the sentiment of your quoted paraphrase.

In terms of fixing the existing issues at hand, I agree in that it's a completely useless sentiment to express, especially for a business.
Customers want to know that an action plan is in place to fix the issues, not a runaround because there most likely is none.

Yes, I agree, it was not the right response to take. I have nothing else to say on that.

After evaluating the whole situation and viewing the dead unit that arrived to me, I've formed the following conclusions, many of course, I already knew:
- The UXL-18 is rated for 1200 watts RMS. It will handle this power without issue
- What happened to this driver, while a mistake, goes well beyond what it is rated for
- Mach 5 Audio/Innovative Sound stands behind its products and warranty obligations
- Had nothing been said about the power output applied, I still would have known the driver's death was still the result of abuse regardless

I must say, I'm surprised how well it withstood against such extreme conditions. I was honestly expecting to see the driver show up in pieces. In fact, the driver stayed together perfectly, minus the dust cap. The failure was thermal/over excursion, which is no surprise, considering the output that was applied.

If anything, this confirms that the UXL-18 does indeed have a limit, and it is most certainly below 8kw at less than 10Hz. It almost makes me wonder how it would have held up with the same power but at a higher frequency

And to those who are thinking, no, I do not have 8kw of power available for testing

Best,
Mark

You guys are crazy....
post #365 of 515 Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Oh, and just to add, the coil failed because it was jumping out of the gap and was hitting the edge of pole - 55+mm!

You guys are crazy....
post #366 of 515 Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
i'm kind of surprised how little distinction is made between "real watts" and watts based the impedance swing. nate probably cooked his drivers because at tuning in a ported sub, impedance hits a minimum, and "real watts" go into the sub, even though excursion is minimized at that point, which also minimizes air cooling--kind of like turning on a hair dryer and then putting your hand over the intake. it will either blow up or thermally shut down. this driver could probably survive 12,000 watts in the test enclosure up around 40hz, as at that point impedance is near a maximum, so actual watts are closer to 1,200 and cone excursion is just a hair over xmax, which would be providing lots of cooling. apply the same voltage at 10hz and power is closer to 12,000 because impedance is low down there and excursion, well, goes off the charts.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #367 of 515 Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Any updates?
post #368 of 515 Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

Any updates?

I'm trying to get a close mic and some waterfalls done after eq but my tascam, htpc, and rew aren't playing well. probably user error

-Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #369 of 515 Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Greg, the wife and I will be taking the RV for a two week cruise around the US in July. If I can get the drivers done before we leave I can deliver them to you. All you need to do is pay for our gas to get them there.

Don't worry, the RV gets a whopping 8 miles per gallon.

You guys are crazy....
post #370 of 515 Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski View Post

Greg, the wife and I will be taking the RV for a two week cruise around the US in July. If I can get the drivers done before we leave I can deliver them to you. All you need to do is pay for our gas to get them there.

Don't worry, the RV gets a whopping 8 miles per gallon.

Hey, if you take I-80 and I can skip on shipping, maybe I'll actually get the whole quad set since I have the cabinets. Right now it seems I'm only going to need 2 drivers for this space. I'd like to future proof it though too. Decisions, decisions.

I'm here throughout July.

Sorry for slacking on the thread guys..I'm going to get this measurement rig going soon. I have NO IDEA why I can't get REW to run through my setup I've reinstalled all of the drivers and software. Something isn't working.

I need to get an expert to look over the setup I suppose.

Once I get it running I'll start the experimenting.

The sub sounds great to my ears though. I have the nasty dip around 40hz like we did for single subs at the October GTG, that duals should fix.

-Greg

post #371 of 515 Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

Any updates?

get on it!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #372 of 515 Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

get on it!

I know man. I'll have to figure out this new crazy forum design first. smile.gif

If Mark really comes cross-country and can drop me off 3 drivers, I'll have some sweet updates! Otherwise if I'm paying shipping I may stop at a pair for now since I know I don't need more than that in this space.

-Greg

post #373 of 515 Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Trust me bro, if you think 2 subs are good 4 of them will blow your mind!

My Quad LMS Ultra 5400 Build:

post #374 of 515 Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 303
If you think 4 subs are good, you should try 8 (which Eric will soon be doing, cause I'm telling him he has to lol)

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #375 of 515 Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

If you think 4 subs are good, you should try 8 (which Eric will soon be doing, cause I'm telling him he has to lol)

I'm probably going to freak out, melt down, and leave the HT hobby if Mark doesn't get some parts in!

-Greg

post #376 of 515 Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I'm probably going to freak out, melt down, and leave the HT hobby if Mark doesn't get some parts in!
Do you have any of your subs fully functional now?

post #377 of 515 Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Do you have any of your subs fully functional now?

Yeah, I have one that is fully functional. Sounds great. Can find its limits so I need to add more. MOAR. smile.gif

I think I will have some developments here in July.

-Greg

post #378 of 515 Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Yeah, I have one that is fully functional. Sounds great. Can find its limits so I need to add more. MOAR. smile.gif
I think I will have some developments here in July.

Ooooo!! Exciting! smile.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #379 of 515 Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I am not going to come out there to take a look at that projector unless you get 4 18's going. tongue.gif
I am seriously interested in these drivers, I was waiting to see how the packaging and delivery panned out and then they were gone. Year long waits are a no go for me and I can't fit those 21" in my room.
post #380 of 515 Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Some people dont have to wait a year..............frown.gif

post #381 of 515 Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Some people dont have to wait a year..............frown.gif

Hang in there bud, they are on the way. I really wish I could have gotten them there faster.

You guys are crazy....
post #382 of 515 Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 76
No prob.....wish I told you to send me another pair before they shipped.

post #383 of 515 Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

No prob.....wish I told you to send me another pair before they shipped.

Sam at Affordable is receiving a small quantity of them. Touch base with him if you are interested in getting more.

You guys are crazy....
post #384 of 515 Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

I am not going to come out there to take a look at that projector unless you get 4 18's going. tongue.gif
I am seriously interested in these drivers, I was waiting to see how the packaging and delivery panned out and then they were gone. Year long waits are a no go for me and I can't fit those 21" in my room.

I'm going to try.

I'm brainstorming with a few peeps about how the heck I can run all 4 off of my 1 FP14k so I don't have to get another and shell out the $811 (I get a huge discount because my first one was DOA...haha).

With the UXL being 4 ohms, I would need to have a 2 in 4 out Speakon box made wired to support the 4 x 4 ohm UXLs with my 1-FP14k.

So...yeah.

Luke-I may need to ship my BenQ 6000 back because the dynamic black crapped out. Not sure if it is worth it to do the RMA or whatever and my time to do (1 year) is rapidly approaching.

-Greg

post #385 of 515 Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You and Carp have got the worst luck with your electronics, geez now the projector is acting up!

Using a dynamic iris is a personal choice. The content is not created on a system utilizing one and it does change the image. There are large differences between companies implementation of them as well. I want to check out DD's IB also, although I am afraid your guys systems will put me over the edge on the DIY front!
post #386 of 515 Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

You and Carp have got the worst luck with your electronics, geez now the projector is acting up!
Using a dynamic iris is a personal choice. The content is not created on a system utilizing one and it does change the image. There are large differences between companies implementation of them as well. I want to check out DD's IB also, although I am afraid your guys systems will put me over the edge on the DIY front!

The dynamic iris has been crapped for months now. I've just ignored until the last two weeks of my warranty now I'm trying to do a RMA hahah. smile.gif

You are the pro-you tell me how to max my projector. I actually have had it turned off for 4 months now and don't really care.

How about free DIY demos and some beverages for a EQ of my video. And a small fee?

-Greg

post #387 of 515 Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Dynamic Iris....*shudders*

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #388 of 515 Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
the auto iris on my epson drives me nuts, not only can you hear it- but it's quite noticeable in the picture when it adjusts too.
post #389 of 515 Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, Desertdome has a cool idea I'm going to implement.

Buy this rackmount chassis and throw in the inputs and outputs speakons for the FP14k and the 4 UXL-18s. This will save me from buying the additional amp which is most likely unneeded.

Then throw this wall plate on the wall in the corner, run the wires all in my storage area, and finally put a door on my rack and be done with it.

Hopefully the next sub pictures you see from me will be salivating. Fingers crossed.

-Greg

post #390 of 515 Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And then there were 4.

-Greg

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page