2 LG Clone, 4 UXL-18 (Pi-18).......... - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
jb> I'm not really thinking about a gjallarhorn.

OH!? A few of us spoke about your situation and thought we wouldn’t bring up adding dual GH until you were done with your current project. We’re thinking just for smoothing of course. LTD is already mocking them up for yuh so you can transition in a good manner and not give chal a chance to close shop.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
haha....Steve's always the joker...lol smile.gif
Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

OH!? A few of us spoke about your situation and thought we wouldn’t bring up adding dual GH until you were done with your current project. We’re thinking just for smoothing of course. LTD is already mocking them up for yuh so you can transition in a good manner and not give chal a chance to close shop.

What are their dimensions again? Notnyt's build looks awesome as well
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

haha....Steve's always the joker...lol smile.gif

Fun first wink.gif
Quote:
Husker> What are their dimensions again? Notnyt's build looks awesome as well

Geez Husker I was just playing. I should check out Notnyt's build though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Original G horn 45 x 45 x 24
G horn refold 25 x 32 x 72
HuskerOmaha likes this.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Original G horn 45 x 45 x 24
G horn refold 25 x 32 x 72
So, I'm going to have an open theater concept with a small stage and AT screen......

Room behind the screen can be modified to fit sub requirements.....

If I'm filling a basement that will be roughly 1800 sq ft, with probably 1100 of it or so open and including the theater.....the rest will be bedroom/storage/etc....

Ideas to fill it well? I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the 4 UXLs and go with a couple horns and a couple ported, or all 4 ported.

I know Archaea, but if you switch I can too!
popalock likes this.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got four of the UXLs ported to around 15hz and all nearfield about a foot behind. Lots of overhead .
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've got four of the UXLs ported to around 15hz and all nearfield about a foot behind. Lots of overhead .
@gpmbc Did you do a thread on these? Link me?

Sorry, I've been away for a while
Old 09-29-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post
@gpmbc Did you do a thread on these? Link me?

Sorry, I've been away for a while
No build thread, but my enclosures are the same as Jbrown's. I'm driving each one with a channel from a crown xli 3500 and a crown x4000(same amp) I was using two FP14ks but being nearfield I've had no issues with lack of power.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No build thread, but my enclosures are the same as Jbrown's. I'm driving each one with a channel from a crown xli 3500 and a crown x4000(same amp) I was using two FP14ks but being nearfield I've had no issues with lack of power.
OK, these boys are coming out of storage in about 4 weeks when we close on our house.

The room they will be in is essentially 1500 square feet of open floor with 1/2 having 16' ceilings. Huge area. I'm thinking for any punch I'm going to have to go #ported . @Archaea .

So, I have 4 of these in sealed boxes, one of which is freakin' siliconed in because I'm an idiot.

Cut that box and get the driver out?

Do two sealed and two ported and see how I like it?

Ported box designs to utilize?

My other options is leaving them sealed and rolling with it, I'm sure it will be good enough. These subs are all out in the open in a nice room, would be nice for them to look sexy.

@Archaea @jedimastergrant @carp @desertdome
Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I should slap myself for selling my Crown XLI 3500. I did it on a whim and went back to a Inuke 6000. Ugh. Slurred bass and loud fans were my reward.

I'm getting another Crown XLI 3500/X4000 as soon as another one pops up in the classified section. They do a very good job of powering subs and their fans are ultra quiet. Definitely a underrated amp in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, these boys are coming out of storage in about 4 weeks when we close on our house.

The room they will be in is essentially 1500 square feet of open floor with 1/2 having 16' ceilings. Huge area. I'm thinking for any punch I'm going to have to go #ported . @Archaea .

So, I have 4 of these in sealed boxes, one of which is freakin' siliconed in because I'm an idiot.

My other options is leaving them sealed and rolling with it, I'm sure it will be good enough. These subs are all out in the open in a nice room, would be nice for them to look sexy.

Glad you're getting back in the mix. You've gotta large space to fill so IMO, you'd need more displacement than four uxl to reap the sealed benefits. There are all kinds of Marty sub variants to pick from. I went another route with larger and lower tuned cabs. Search LTD-M18. Currently I have two up front and two near field. Near field makes a substantial difference in impact if you can accommodate.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

I have given the ULF stuff plenty of chances to floor me and I always come away thinking......that was pretty cool, but I still want to make sure the normal LF frequencies are super super strong before I put money into ULF.

I also think many of the ULF experiences are actually resonances in theaters that have loose materials whether it is the floor or walls or other objects.

So I am not saying don't go after ULF. But, just make sure everything else is covered first.

Which brings us back to your boxes. I don't know how the 4 sealed will behave in that space but why don't you just find out and do some measurements. Mess around with placement and then decide if you want/need more output.

Personally, I would not hesitate to give up 15Hz and below for earth shattering 15Hz and above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement