Any sonosub/subwoofer experts in the Lincoln, NE area? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running an Inuke NU3000dsp and a dayton 15" in a sonotube enclosure. Would like anybody in the Lincoln area with more experience than me to help setup or offer opinions on how it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
yamahaSHO built a klipsch sonosub that was fun to listen to and looked very attractive. I'm not sure how often he is on here but worth a shot.

He lives in Bellevue.

There are a bunch of guys in Omaha that have different sub setups both DIY and ID..

In Lincoln, Kwarny isn't a sonosub guy, but he knows quite a bit.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Huskeromaha! Not sure if you realized or not but I was the guy emailing you about the f20's. Would love to have them but the wife axed that idea for now.

Hopefully the other guys will chime in and we can get something going.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 12
You want someone to stop by and just listen? If it is not blind that will be simple to do. I could probably stop by with REW and we can take some close mics of the driver and work on integration. I won't have my RS meter to calibrate the SPL though.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny View Post

You want someone to stop by and just listen? If it is not blind that will be simple to do. I could probably stop by with REW and we can take some close mics of the driver and work on integration. I won't have my RS meter to calibrate the SPL though.

Kwarny

No blind tests here. Running REW would be great! Anytime that would work for you just shoot me a PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM

I have no expertise or equipment, but I'm glad to hear that there is actually quite a strong NE presence on here.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Liked: 14
I have my radio shack analog spl meter if someone needs to borrow it. What day were you guys thinking of doing it?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfiend View Post

I have my radio shack analog spl meter if someone needs to borrow it. What day were you guys thinking of doing it?

We are planning on tomorrow. As long as we don't abuse it, we should still be able to see the frequency response and crossover to get the phase to match up which is the important part.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 PM

I found out sonosubs and older receivers confuse me more than anything. 03roadking prefers his sonosub with the port off on the top so it is more like an OB. There is a noticeable difference in sound. It sounds louder and kind of boomier with it off. I did not notice much of a difference in REW's waterfall graphs though. So either those nulls reduce a noticeable difference or we are sensitive in the time domain .

Calibrated sound card with calibrated EMC800. Both were attached.
No smoothing

Chart 1 - The green and orange show both his seating locations with the port off (ob). I only went to 40 Hz since I didn't want to mess with the driver. The teal and purple show both seating locations with the port on top. With the port on, the response changes dramatically. What I am concerned about is the extension of the sub. (Not full sealed?)

Chart 2 - The pink line shows what he manually sets and prefers for sound with the ports off (OB). I believe he has boosts down to 20 Hz.

Chart 3 - I was planning on level matching the mains so I wanted to see what happened out further. There is about a 10 dB average droppoff from 330-500 Hz .

Chart 4 - We should of moved the sonotube into the middle of the room but I was getting antsy since I had plans later. This shows two close mics with the mains on and two without the mains on. There is some strange cancellation that occurs around 70ish Hz. That null appears in the room response too with the port on. I should of took an OB close mic also.

Chart 5 - The blue shows the close mic near the ports and the green shows the close mic near the driver. I was expecting more extension with the blue measurement.

If anyone has any thoughts please help. He is happy with the top off though. I'm just worried about bottoming the driver during movies. I think the driver has a ton of potential. I do prefer working with sealed cabs though .

It was funny running into your wife at Carlos last night. Her friend really embarrassed me when she said, oh he's the sound system guy haha .
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #10 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

First off I want to thank Kwarny for taking time out of his life to come help me out with this. He definitely knows his stuff and I learned alot about room response and how rew works as well.

I wasn't real sure on how he would react to me playing the sonosub with the top cap off but he didnt raz me too hard about it. And I am sure he could tell I didnt play it with the cap on very often by when we were playing bass I love you and one of the ports (4" pvc pipe about 27" long) slipped out of the cap and fell onto the magnet of my sub! I was both embarrassed and terrified at the same time that I had just damaged it. But all was well.

So thank you again Kwarny for coming over taking the measurements for me. Plus it was just fun to talk to somebody who has the same enthusiasm for this hobby.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to see pics!

I'm still here, just not as much anymore these days. I save more money that way.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #12 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I want to see pics!

I'm still here, just not as much anymore these days. I save more money that way.

Here are some pics

The cap that I don't use

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List