New TLAH build... Got the drivers but have a question about the crossovers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Does your receiver have Audyssey?
JSS

Unfortunately, no. It has Pioneer's MCAAC though... I use the Pioneer Elite 92THX receiver. For now I am using two CV CLS-215s for my front speakers, driven by two NAD 2200 PE amps, each bridged to mono.

Yay! A Signature!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Did you ever finish these TLAH's, OP?
post #33 of 41 Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have everything built except for the crossovers for the TLAHs. Gonna get the center channel done first and go from there tongue.gif

Yay! A Signature!

post #34 of 41 Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

OK, got it put together! Pics below:

Crossover

Drivers wired in

Polyester batting

Top is on

Front View

OK, so I ran the MCACC Plus on my Pioneer Elite 92TXH, with the center channel just sitting in the living room on a temp stand, to see what EQ all Adjust came up with compared to a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51-LR floor standing speakers. Below is the data. I know these measurements are just comparison, and do not accurately reflect the center channel measurements, but they are interesting all the same.

Left channel MCACC, all channels adjust mode, EQ Pro for Left Speaker (Pioneer SP-FS51-LR)

Left channel MCACC, all channels adjust mode, EQ Pro for Center Channel (Curved SLA)

Right channel MCACC, all channels adjust mode, EQ Pro for Right Speaker (Pioneer SP-FS51-LR)

Full Band Phase Control Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for Front Speakers (Pioneer SP-FS51-LR)

Full Band Phase Control Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for Center Speaker (Curved SLA)

Channel Level Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for the three speakers

Speaker Distance Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for the three speakers

Standing Wave Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for Front Speakers (Pioneer SP-FS51-LR)

Standing Wave Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for Center Speaker (Curved SLA)

Standing Wave Results for MCACC, all channels adjust mode, for Subwoofer (AutoTuba)

Initial impressions are positive. The center sounds BIG. I have to get back further from it though, as right now the imaging shifts abruptly from side to side.

Yay! A Signature!

post #35 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The image shift problem is due to the inward curve of the center channel, and is the SLA center's main flaw. Because of the inward curve, though it allows a little more distance for driver to driver integration, it shifts the center image in front of the speaker, so move to the right, and the image from the speaker moves left, and vice versa. IMO, an SLA center should be curved outward, so that the image is behind it, and shifts less with listener placement. But then you give up almost a foot of integration distance, so goes the compromise of array design......

For a low dollar, WAF friendly shape, it is very good, but as you can see, like all arrays, it requires EQ in the upper octaves, just make sure you have plenty of headroom in the AVR for it, to avoid clipping the amp. The curved shape will lose more in the HF region simply due to the curve, and without EQ, would not match the mains sound, even though all three speakers use the same drivers.

Pics of the whole setup?

JSS
post #36 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

I am about a week away from getting the room downstairs set up, and will post pics once it is done smile.gif

Yay! A Signature!

post #37 of 41 Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

As requested, here are some more photos smile.gif

Fingerprints!!

Room dimensions are 6'11" High, 15'7" Long, and 10'11" Wide

When I light the curved SLA from underneath, you can see all the fingerprints on it. I may eventually cover it in black vinyl to match the other speakers.

Still have some work to do on the home theater, but it is coming along. I can fit an 85" display up there if I had the money biggrin.gif

Yay! A Signature!

post #38 of 41 Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

PLEASE tell me that you do not have naked (uncovered) rigid fiberglass panels just hanging out in that room......cover those things for your lungs' sake....

Otherwise, looks very good! I have to say, for the $$ invested, it is hard to beat BFM stuff. Very high performance to $$ ratio. I paid $70 to outfit my LCR arrays with drivers...

JSS
post #39 of 41 Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

The wife and found, at Walmart (shudder) black polyester fabric for 3.99 a yard. It's super breathable, and a little stretchy with a slight pattern. Basically used for running gear look to it. At 60" wide, it only took 1 yard per panel. I think they turned out pretty good for the price biggrin.gif

Yay! A Signature!

post #40 of 41 Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Are there also TLAHs in the works? Those look like pretty hefty mains....

JSS
post #41 of 41 Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

There are TLAHs in the works, but with those CLS-215 mains going to 24 Hz and four Pioneer SP-FS51-LR in the back for 7.0, I'm pretty happy with it. My dog only reacts to realistic audio when we are watching movies, and when watching the hunger games, she was looking up at the ceiling and around for the birds lol

I tell you what, the speaker outriggers I use from here REALLY cut down the vibration in the floor. All the bass goes to the couch and your chest, which is awesome. The guy that makes 'em even used some photos I took on his website biggrin.gif Here are what they look like attached the CLS-215s. I took these while in NM

Awesome biggrin.gif

Yay! A Signature!

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs