How easy to source parts and build a quick llt? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I just used wood glue for all my r13. It all had that paper backing on it so I just squiggled some darting lines across it and placed it on the wood. I held it in place for maybe 10 seconds and let go. None of it ever fell off or anything. Worked pretty well for me. I had thought of using spray adhesive too but this worked like a charm.

For the most part, it sounds like you're getting a really nice and extended response and that's great! All the other problems you're having are directly related to all the EQ stuff you're doing. A boost will DEFINITELY get your amp clipping. You're robbing yourself of a lot of power boosting one spot. Also, Dynamic EQ (if you are indeed using it) is making things worse. Turn it off. All it does is give you a hundred different frequency responses. Lol. Start from zero and then work you're way up. I'd try no EQ of any kind, listen to some stuff and then go from there.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I just used wood glue for all my r13. It all had that paper backing on it so I just squiggled some darting lines across it and placed it on the wood. I held it in place for maybe 10 seconds and let go. None of it ever fell off or anything. Worked pretty well for me. I had thought of using spray adhesive too but this worked like a charm.

For the most part, it sounds like you're getting a really nice and extended response and that's great! All the other problems you're having are directly related to all the EQ stuff you're doing. A boost will DEFINITELY get your amp clipping. You're robbing yourself of a lot of power boosting one spot. Also, Dynamic EQ (if you are indeed using it) is making things worse. Turn it off. All it does is give you a hundred different frequency responses. Lol. Start from zero and then work you're way up. I'd try no EQ of any kind, listen to some stuff and then go from there.

well ive looked at responses with and without eq, w/ and w/o dyn. eq and with and without and filters from the mic220, I like how dynamic eq boosts the low end, and i like how it accentuates the surrounds a little bit more when listening at below reference levels (which im normally at -20 to -15, -8 to -6 on movies). I know the boost is pulling a lot of power, but there is so much content in that area between 30-50hz that I cant see NOT flattening it out. Only other options is cutting on either side of that null and boosting the overall signal, but that essentially does the same thing. im going to do some measuring at 1m as opposed to MLP and see if that null goes away. The new placement should also help, I HOPE!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #63 of 66 Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Yeah, try moving them around and see if the null straightens out. There is no problem using these EQ options but they are robbing you of power and you mentioned that you were clipping your amp more than once so... just trying to help there. I have the same sort of problem in my room with the LLT's. Though I never got around to using more power amps. I just played with turning them one way or another and got a response that works for me. Though my LLT's grealy overpower my mains to the point that I've designed these monsters that I hope to have installed really soon.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #64 of 66 Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yeah, try moving them around and see if the null straightens out. There is no problem using these EQ options but they are robbing you of power and you mentioned that you were clipping your amp more than once so... just trying to help there. I have the same sort of problem in my room with the LLT's. Though I never got around to using more power amps. I just played with turning them one way or another and got a response that works for me. Though my LLT's grealy overpower my mains to the point that I've designed these monsters that I hope to have installed really soon.

and that build I am very much looking forward to watching!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #65 of 66 Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
did you just get those sonotubes for free?? if so, why did they give them away? I looked it up, this site says 24.00 a foot ! http://www.discountcontractorsupply.com/product_p/tube24.htm
post #66 of 66 Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is crazy... I sourced a local concrete supplier in my hometown and I think I paid a total of $80 for both tubes. just google your location and see what comes up for concrete yards. If not, call Lowes and see if they can special order a pair of 24" tubes for you.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page