DIY Amp Repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I recently had some channels go out on my B&K 4430 amp and I wanted to see if there was anyone hear that specialized in amp repair or had some ideas on how to fix them.

I have read through a lot of the forums on amps and I didnt know the best way to go about asking for help so here it is

What is the best way to fix blown channels on different amps? How have you guys fixed them in the past and is there anyone that could possible help (paid of course) to figure out the issues. Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

This could help me too....
I have a channel out on my Parasound HCA 2003

Ann
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
Open case, look for burnt components. Capacitors are a hours place to start as they dry out with age.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Typically, it is very helpful to start with the service manual for the particular amplifier. Many manufacturers consider their service manual proprietary. To find one, try a large number of Google searches. If a site has the manual, it may cost $15-25.
You need a volt/ohm meter, soldering tool, and solder removing tool. In a very small number of situations, you get lucky and can identify a swollen or burnt capacitor. Capacitors (generally) deteriorate with age and heat.

Repair shops can cost $200-300+ and guarantee their repairs for 30-90 days. The difficulty is that other non-failed parts may be close to failing and fail within a few months of the initial repair. A few individuals have been able to identify an obviously failed capacitor which a repair shop replaced for them cheaply ($10-30).

Contact B&K because they may be able to offer a better deal.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

Typically, it is very helpful to start with the service manual for the particular amplifier. Many manufacturers consider their service manual proprietary. To find one, try a large number of Google searches. If a site has the manual, it may cost $15-25.
You need a volt/ohm meter, soldering tool, and solder removing tool. In a very small number of situations, you get lucky and can identify a swollen or burnt capacitor. Capacitors (generally) deteriorate with age and heat.

Repair shops can cost $200-300+ and guarantee their repairs for 30-90 days. The difficulty is that other non-failed parts may be close to failing and fail within a few months of the initial repair. A few individuals have been able to identify an obviously failed capacitor which a repair shop replaced for them cheaply ($10-30).

Contact B&K because they may be able to offer a better deal.

ATI took over B&K, ATI has a great reputation....
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well I emailed ATI or B&K and there repair prices were right in line with a local shop so I wanted to put something out here before I spend $300 on an amp that is wort probably 400-500 max. Ill try some of the advice given and go from there!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk2007 View Post

Well I emailed ATI or B&K and there repair prices were right in line with a local shop so I wanted to put something out here before I spend $300 on an amp that is wort probably 400-500 max. Ill try some of the advice given and go from there!

sorry, but i think you're better off in the long run by selling off the amp for whatever you can get and purchase a new unit.

unless there are significant sentimental values for keeping the amp.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you haven't done so already, check your Line fuse (12 Amp/250 Volt Slow Blow) and your Rail fuses (6 Amp/250 Volt Slow Blow). It's a good place to start.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page