B&C DE250 or Celestion CDX 1745 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From what I have read it seems the CDX 1745 has on par measured performance with the B&C. Is there any reason to go with the B&C especially if it would be used with the QSC horn designed to work with it? I wonder if the B&C might have better build quality or is the Celestion a legitimate contender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you're not in a hurry, I'd say wait for Erich H's DE250 clones.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Liked: 12
Having tested it I would say it is a good CD and certainly a swap in under lower SPL or higher XO freq as it is not built to go as low as the B&C according to Celestion. However, I am keen to hear what Eric can come up with

explore the music
post #4 of 15 Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM

We did a little comparison recently - we being Antripodean, gainphile (not sure if he's on here) and myself. Measured very close in the same waveguide - did not require a different xo. We had one for the left, one for the right with music playing. Well, it's hard to test that way, each will have different room effects but we all came away from it thinking we'd happily use the Celestion driver. In terms of build quality, the B&C is nothing special and I doubt the Celestion could be worse.

The diaphragm doesn't have a proper centering mechanism, there is a groove around the end of the exit as well as concentric rings inside. Pics here on my blog:

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2...r-looking.html

I'm curious to find out about this clone.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspencer View Post

I'm curious to find out about this clone.

There is some preliminary info here.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM

thanks PI! very interesting
post #7 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 429
There was someone else involved in the compression driver project. I just plan on doing the "grunt work" so to speak. The goal was to make the newer model go up a bit higher than the DE250, and it does. And of course be cheaper. I'll be ordering parts for these very soon so they can start getting out in the public. Not sure of the costs just yet because I've yet to buy bulk products from these different manufacturers at one time.

I am however personally trying to get a beast of a CD done that can be crossed lower than the DE250 by a fairly significant margin. It's still a 1" model, but it's twice the size and even weighs twice as much. It was dubbed the "BA" model by Bwaslo. As in Big A$$ model. I'd post the response, but our testing wasn't 100% accurate on that one due to the way I had it mounted. So we'll have to wait. Should go well with the SEOS-18. I have to order a different mounting plate and do a little work on the inside to see just how much it can be tweaked. But initial tests were very promising.

And another note: The super small neo units are coming very soon. I had 100 delivered yesterday, but they're connected to an interesting horn like my first samples were. They sound good, but after cutting off the horn off a few models and looking around, I asked the company to make some changes and ship me 4 "prototypes" without some of the parts completely assembled so I could make changes and try different things. Once done, we should be able to mount these to all small waveguides. Testing was really good. Price on the ones I got yesterday....with the horn....should be around $15. I still have to figure shipping prices and things like that to be sure on price.

These little Neo Buggers" are about 1" thick and about 2"-2.5" in diameter. Bwaslo used them in a speaker with the 6" Aurasound buyout woofer from PE and Madisound. They're not some extraordinary compression driver that will change the world, but for what they are, and the price, I do believe people will like them for smaller speakers or surrounds. I'll try to get some pictures later, but I have to package things up tonight for forum members.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I've literally got about 50 compression drivers at my house right now and parts from all over the world. Some models looked identical to others (like the neo ones), but tested like junk. So the goal was to figure out what made certain things work best one certain drivers. Screw on mounts, bolt on mounts, throat changes, adapter changes, diaphragms, phase plugs, foam, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not the smartest audio guy that's for sure. But give me a puzzle to figure out.....then maybe I can try to make things work.

And I won't even talk about how many horns and waveguides I've been experimenting with. Soon.....there will be a place to get nearly every decent testing horn or waveguide along with many different compression drivers.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Liked: 10
A "BA" compression driver sounds great! There aren't any really good compression drivers that can be crossed over low for any kind of reasonable price. Keep us posted...
post #10 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Erich,

Can you say anything about the source of the DE250 equivalent CD's?

Are they an established and reliable company?

My concern is continuing availability of replacement parts.

Noah
post #11 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Erich,

Can you say anything about the source of the DE250 equivalent CD's?

Are they an established and reliable company?

My concern is continuing availability of replacement parts.

There's more than one manufacturer involved in all parts and they are all in good shape. The only real replacement part worth worrying about is the diaphragm and it will be available. I'll be getting about 50% more of those than all the other parts.

I'm going to order enough parts for about 200 to start. If anyone wants to order another 100-200, I can do that as well. But until the SEOS-12 is done, the money set aside to help with "group buys" will be pushed pretty far.

I probably should have taken deposits on something so people could help with these more expensive projects, but I didn't feel right about doing that.

Helping get the SEOS project available for the DIY guys at a cheap price was the main goal. The matching compression drivers was a plus. But both tied together would save everyone $300 per pair versus fiberglass and the DE250.

The issue is that there's only so many hours in the day and only so much group buy money to go around without taking deposits. I should be able to get both of those done though.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Erich-

What is the diaphragm material?
post #13 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

Erich-

What is the diaphragm material?

It's all the same as the other model.

But the BA driver is Titanium with an aluminum phase plug. I'll try to get photos later.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Are the little comprerssion drivers threaded or bolt on?
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post

Are the little comprerssion drivers threaded or bolt on?

Sort of both. I'll be gluing on a screw on adapter that goes on far enough to extend just to the tip of the outer phase plug. And I believe I sourced a bolt on adapter that will then allow you to screw the compression driver all the way in so that it touches the flange of the waveguide. Most bolt on adapters don't let you screw the driver all the way down to touch the rear of the waveguide. But on these, the 2 parts work together nicely.

Kind of hard to explain.

Basically it can be used as both, but the adapter should allow it work like a better performing bolt on model.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page