AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

GP,

Did you save those frd files with easy to remember or descriptive names? Thanks.

James

What do you mean?
post #183 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

What do you mean?

GP,

What I was wondering is if you saved those frd files or are the screens you showed just snapshots.

The reason for my asking is if you saved them, you could go back in and reload them all together and then do a snapshot for easy comparison between locations. Thanks.

James

Example below
LL
post #184 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New to this, they are snapshots. Thx for the info.
post #185 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

GP,

No problem at all.

Since I have been using this what I try to do for my measurements is the following:
Make a directory called “Measurements Date
Inside make an fdr and curves folder so I can save the files there as needed.
Put in the name of the frd the master volume I was running the test at. So you can see in my example they all start with a _5 which means -5 on the master volume.
Put the level of smoothing in the name, 1_6, 1_24, etc.

Just somethings I do off the top of my head to try and keep organized as much as possible.

James
post #186 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 712
No room gain?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #187 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bosso's eq will remedy that. What's crazy is it doesn't feel like it graphs. I'd say one part because the subs are nearfield. The other I would attribute to ulf being very boosted on movies like the hulk. It is very visceral and the good thing is there is still more in the tank.
post #188 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Bosso's eq will remedy that. What's crazy is it doesn't feel like it graphs. I'd say one part because the subs are nearfield. The other I would attribute to ulf being very boosted on movies like the hulk. It is very visceral and the good thing is there is still more in the tank.

The graphs don't lie, you are feeling strong 20hz and above. Your ULF is way down. Remember you are measuring sealed subs without any EQ or DSP built in so it will look worse. Once you dial them in and get a flat response to single digits you will say O crap! Now I know what ULF really feel like. Trust me on this one!
post #189 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't include the 4) 18s up front in any measurement, not that that will contribute greatly to ulf. I know what you're saying MK but the thing that doesn't add up is in watching the incredible hulk. When Hulk encounters Abomination for the first time and they are walking towards each other, I know the footsteps are way lower than 20hz. I feel each step distinctly and with lots of impact. As well, the last hit with the cop car is much more pronounced than it was with the DTS 10s. I know it can get better and it will. I'm just saying from descriptions I've read from people experiencing these scenes, this is what I'm feeling as well. Maybe I'm not using omni mic correctly?
post #190 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Just wondering what's up with the 25dB drop from 25hz to 15hz. Hmmm...

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #191 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

GP,

Not that it will show you what frequency is being produced but you could try the below steps on the last hit with the cop car scene you are referring to check how high it registers.

Turn off all speakers except your subs
In Omni go to your SPL tab
Select the none at the top for response weighting
Select the fast in the range on the right hand side
Click the reset button before you play the scene
Play the scene of the movie like you normally would and afterwards check the Peak and Max values right above the reset button.

Just be aware you will probably not be able to catch the information in the graph area but that is fine.

You can see what I am referring to by checking the thread below.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=omni

James
post #192 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again James!
post #193 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 909
"In the link I posted, the Harman stuff is not the interesting part(add subs, eq your way to flatness...simple enough...). The part about Yates supercomputers crunching out ideal sub locations for your specific room...now that is the cat's meow. I wish I had that knowledge for my own oddly shaped HT. I have lugged subs all over my room to try and smooth things out(and yes I have stacked in a corner, to no avail). If someone had measured the dimensions of my room and said "place subs here", it would have been sweet. It would especially be welcome for smoothing across two rows. I could get the front seats perfect at one point, but I had huge suckouts at various frequencies in row 2. Yates work would have been great during the HT build phase."

there is a simple version of that called "room response calculator" by yavuz aksan. it runs in excel. i forget where my copy came from. he may have updated it or might be willing to update it for oddball shaped rooms. i haven't checked.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #194 of 199 Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Man, I wish you'd post more around here. Your posts are always top notch. Nicked quite a bit from them. Much appreciated.

Bosso

Cheers, likewise, I've referenced a lot of your ideas over time.

I've become a bit bored with forums, especially audio, as I'm more or less settled on my designs and am slowly realising them, whenever I can eke out a few $ towards it - tough these last couple of years. Plus I have other interests and a new puppy.

After I mentioned your fan cooling to a friend a while back, he's keen on trying something like a heat exchanger system on the 18"ers when I get them. Cool idea, but I dunno if it'll work. I'm also in an apartment, so I realistically wonder how hot they'll ever get, especially as there'll be 8 12" and 2 15" to go with them (already own these). More than 12 litres of volume displacement in 51m³ of room should be enough to go deep and loud on occasion and with the enclosures spread out, I should be able to have something at almost all of the nodes in the sub range (1H, 1L, 2L, 1W, 2W) but measurements will tell.

Pity I won't be able to attend a get together to hear your system.
post #195 of 199 Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
gpmpc,

Some good points being raised. I'm looking forward to more and more measurements, experiments with your subs. Again, congrats so far, good lookin' out

I've got many points to make and questions to ask. but first about the room modeling stuff;

Whether it's some free shareware room mode calculator for subwoofers, or Yate's et al Cray supercomputer crunching,....it's only going to be as accurate as the input data. Merely examining modal activity with Height, Width, and Depth, is myopic.

I've found (obviously I'm not the first) that room mode calculating is only a very rough draft of what may, or may not occur. Boundary impedances of the floor, walls, ceiling, etc., ultimately play a heavy role in determining exactly what will occur in our HT's modally. Furniture occupying significant cubic quantity, both impacts PVG onset, but also affect time domain behavior of the subwoofer spectrum.

Not just wall material, however ceiling joist size, spacing, adjacent load sharing vertical stiffening members, doors, headers, you name it,...every conceivable element all sums in a nearly infinite set of variables and forms your acoustic environment. Sure some of these elements weigh more heavily, however the sum of many seemingly insignificant components could easily skew an otherwise intuitive result, into an acoustic environment that's subsequently counter-intuitive.

I mean this effects stick built/woodframe construction perhaps more than a concrete bunker style room. Mine for example; not my mix room, but in my non-dedicated HT space, I've got so many odd ball architectural elements. I've got three pocket doors in the room, which really compromise a walls structural integrity. I've got a ~10' sliding glass door to the outside, a kitchen at the far end, a floor to ceiling brick fireplace along one wall, etc., etc.

My point is the modeling is great, but measurements trump all the conjecture.

So these individuals that have Yates, for example, custom stealth build in a multi-sub install, may be locked into their proposed design. However those of us that actually measure every element and move the subs and affect the response accordingly, possess the distinct advantage over the mega buck number crunching. Just sayin

Also, I've enjoyed the advantages of a multi-sub rig since the early/mid 90's. I've planned a new multi-sub approach spanning the vertical with both a multi manifold attic IB, and small sealed balancing subs employing selective mode cancellation for a couple years now. Problem is, my cardio-thoracic rig been falling apart, and it's a bit out of warranty This has made the attic crawl a real bitch,.... however,...significant progress has been made as of late.

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #196 of 199 Old 04-28-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

My point is the modeling is great, but measurements trump all the conjecture.

So these individuals that have Yates, for example, custom stealth build in a multi-sub install, may be locked into their proposed design. However those of us that actually measure every element and move the subs and affect the response accordingly, possess the distinct advantage over the mega buck number crunching. Just sayin

I could not agree more. Measurement trumps simulation every time.
post #197 of 199 Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I remember following this thread last year, and I'm curious whatever became of it.

What happened to the system after you got the Bossobassis? Got any measurements, gpmbc?
post #198 of 199 Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Nube, I wanted the Bossobassis but it wasn't made available when I was ready to pay, supply issues I believe. I honestly wouldn't have utilized the SSD 15s if I would have known I wouldn't have been able to obtain that piece of the puzzle. They worked well near field in spite of but far (when I switched my room) I wasn't getting the same ulf dominance. I'm soon to be selling my house so I'll see what makes the final cut in terms of LFE once I'm all in the new setting.
post #199 of 199 Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And just for clarification Nube, I didn't want my statement to suggest a knock against the drivers . I was just trying to duplicate a proven recipe from drivers, to the amp, to the eq implemented and I began the project with all 3 factored in.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page