4 dual opposed SSD 15s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 78
This will be my take on the Bossobass Blackbird modules. Major props to Bosso for answering all my questions and teaching me quite a bit along the way. I was going back and forth with so many options it was ridiculous but ended up using 8) of the stock Fi SSD 15s to be powered by an FP 14000 then lastly LT to dial in the ULF.

I got the wood and basic cuts done at home depot which is 3/4" 7 ply with a second 1/2" 5 ply on the driver faces so the driver can be recessed and add more solidity. Internal dimensions are 17.5" x 16.5" x 24.5" for 3.75 cubic feet after driver displacement but not including bracing (which is admittedly light but I'm banking on the dual opposed canceling out most of the vibration). External dimensions are 20" x 18" x 26"

I took the cut pieces from home depot to a shop that I'm familiar with. I originally just wanted them to cut the holes for the drivers which I can do, but with more frustration than it's worth. While there, they asked me if I also wanted them put together and finished, and so the wheels got churning. Anything I've ever built (in terms of sub boxes at least) has been functionally good but cosmetically challenged so I decided to hand it over.

At the shop, the boxes were assembled, brace cut out and installed, edges routered, body worked, and of course the original task at hand 16 holes cut. Now they are at a metal fabricator to get ideas on the poles that will enable stacking. I'll go look at some samples tomorrow that might also spawn some ideas for paint finish. Not a bunch, but some pics will follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attachment 235307

Attachment 235308

Attachment 235309

Attachment 235310

Attachment 235311
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And of course the inspiration.

Attachment 235313

Attachment 235312
LL
LL
post #4 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #5 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool! Man, I read the woes you're going through right now in your thread. When it rans it pours-hang in there.
post #6 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Cool! Man, I read the woes you're going through right now in your thread. When it rans it pours-hang in there.

Both notnyt and bosso spent many a pm giving me great suggestions. I just went with 2 boxes instead of 4...... Hope your 14k works.
post #7 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Both notnyt and bosso spent many a pm giving me great suggestions. I just went with 2 boxes instead of 4...... Hope your 14k works when you get it.

Thanks for the encouragement!
post #8 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've had my amp but all I did was power it on. I attempted to hook it up a few days ago to my existing set up to confirm all is good in actual operation but I didn't have xlr to rca adaptors. I'll try and get some tomorrow. Fingers crossed mine works.
post #9 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had my amp but all I did was power it on. I attempted to hook it up a few days ago to my existing set up to confirm all is good in actual operation but I didn't have xlr to rca adaptors. I'll try and get some tomorrow. Fingers crossed mine works.

You've made it out of the rocky part! You'll be done before I get my second driver or a functional amp!
post #10 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 925
those cuts look great, expecially for hd. i suppose it depends on which guy you get on which day as to how good they are, even though they are supposed to be all equally good.

how much did hd charge for putting them together/rounding over the joints? they look good.

"3/4" 7 ply BB"

3/4" bb is around 13 plies. you have birch face ply, which should be fine for all practical purposes.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #11 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have known the shop owner for years so I got a deal. I ended up paying the shop $280 plus I tipped the guy that actually did the labor. They got over run with other jobs so they referred me to a fabrication guy and a paint guy, both of who have been made aware of my project from the guy who did the labor on the boxes to get them where they are now.
post #12 of 199 Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 925
"I have known the shop owner for years so I got a deal. I ended up paying the shop $280 plus I tipped the guy that actually did the labor. They got over run with other jobs so they referred me to a fabrication guy and a paint guy, both of who have been made aware of my project from the guy who did the labor on the boxes to get them where they are now."

roger.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #13 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Nice!

I'm watchin' out for this one, fo sho!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #14 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wouldn't you get a more even response if you had the subs in 2 or 3 different locations? Although a rising stack like that would have benefits...
post #15 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I am curious, why don't you guys just go with the Q18 in a double opposed design and call it a day? I am sure 4 of those would be enough for almost any theater. It is supposed to be Fi's best sounding driver so you can't lose right?
post #16 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Wouldn't you get a more even response if you had the subs in 2 or 3 different locations? Although a rising stack like that would have benefits...

I have found that front corners, 4 corners, or just going across the middle give good responses so to me it does not matter as much once you have multiple subs, I use 4 subs and 8 drivers.
post #17 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I already have some goods in place. This is to add to the mix.

Attachment 235364
LL
post #18 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am curious, why don't you guys just go with the Q18 in a double opposed design and call it a day? I am sure 4 of those would be enough for almost any theater. It is supposed to be Fi's best sounding driver so you can't lose right?

I'm curious why you're referring to me as you guys since I'm the only one posting my build lol. Also, Ricci has the Q18 and so far seems a little disappointed. I decided to go with a proven recipe as Bosso is achieving reference from 100hz down to 4hz or so and accurate to boot. Not that his room is mine, but seemingly a good foundation to start with.
post #19 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm curious why you're referring to me as you guys since I'm the only one posting my build lol. Also, Ricci has the Q18 and so far seems a little disappointed. I decided to go with a proven recipe as Bosso is achieving reference from 100hz down to 4hz or so and accurate to boot. Not that his room is mine, but seemingly a good foundation to start with.

I thought more were using the same driver. Why 15 inch? I guess you need a smaller sub? I did not know Ricci was testing the q driver but that is good to know. How much are the subs going to be each?
post #20 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you mean what is the cost of the driver or how much I'll be into it for the built enclosures? I already have four 18s up front so no niche. Since I'm not sure exactly where these will end up in my room, size was a consideration. I have an idea in my head but who knows how they will respond once in place. The way they are built will allow any option from multiple locations to all stacked. As configured, I can stack 4 from floor to ceiling and have like an inch to spare. I couldn't do that with 18s.
post #21 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I thought more were using the same driver. Why 15 inch? I guess you need a smaller sub? I did not know Ricci was testing the q driver but that is good to know. How much are the subs going to be each?

The SSD-15 has the same displacement as the 18 you're currently using, +/- 2dB, maybe more for all anyone knows. And that's in less than 1/2 the box.

So, the real Q is "Why 18s? I guess you like bigger subs?".

There's no evidence that upping the displacement by 50% equates to "best sounding", unless you have some data the rest of us aren't aware of?

Greg's put a lot of thought into his system and this build. How about we let him proceed so we can follow along instead of telling him what he should do instead?

Bosso
post #22 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

So, the real Q is "Why 18s? I guess you like bigger subs?".

Greg's put a lot of thought into his system and this build. How about we let him proceed so we can follow along instead of telling him what he should do instead?

Bosso

Bosso,

All due respect, you are the man, but I believe MK was asking a question - not "telling" him what to do. No doubt gpmbc has put a lot of thought and planning into this build, but I also think MK respects that as well. Don't really know where I'm going with this, so back to work I go......

gpmbc - Excellent work!!!

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #23 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

Attachment 235364

Yes! Now that's how you do it.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #24 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, what did I do wrong? I was just asking a question. I never tell anyone to get what I have because I never keep it long enough. My subs have nothing to do with anything except I can reach reference at 5 hz myself but I was not talking about that. I have never used huge displacement subs yet. I was just asking a question. What makes these drivers that much better than others? It seems the eD driver will compete as well.
post #25 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys for the kind words. MK I've never had issue with you and I enjoy reading the latest and greatest with your set ups, so don't vacate the premises. This is new territory for me. I've usually been one to get the one single baddest sub. This time I'm going with the killer bees, safety in numbers
post #26 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks guys for the kind words. MK I've never had issue with you and I enjoy reading the latest and greatest with your set ups, so don't vacate the premises. This is new territory for me. I've usually been one to get the one single baddest sub. This time I'm going with the killer bees, safety in numbers

I have always went with many subs as well. The DTS-10's were my first big subs that I did not have 4 of. We all want reference from 3-120hz but in reality I have never seen a scene that hit 115 dB's from 3-10hz and maybe not even at 15hz. The material is there an worth going after but it is not loud. I have never seen a 0 FsdB scene, it is usually -10 dB's and very rarely -5 dB's. 4 LMS 5400 subs can do that outside so they can do it in any room. Just need the right amp and LT circuit. I am all for you building these because you can let me know how they are! You know I like to try lots of stuff just because.
post #27 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Safety in numbers is right, go for it. Keenly watching. Mucho linear displacement, aptly powered.

Good lookin' out

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #28 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 650
stoked as well, looking to your impressions here what is the finish date going to be do you think?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #29 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

Attachment 235364

Seems like the biggest issue there is lack of separation between your mains. The way you have it set up they're like one big mono channel.

I bet if you lay the subs down on their sides and put the mains on top of them, you'll improve the soundstage.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #30 of 199 Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll go later this afternoon to look at samples on the poles that will enable stacking. After I decide that direction I have no idea what the metal guy has on his plate in terms of getting it done. I imagine not long, then off to the finishing guy. Ultimately, I have to decide what I want then on other peoples time.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page