THT Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 155 Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the time has finally come to build a THT (took a couple of years for the wife to give in). I'm replacing a Mirage PS-12-90 which was painful to listen to for movies and somewhat filled out the bottom end of music. Needless to say, I can't wait to hear what the THT can do.

I'm building a 24" wide version and have a few pictures of the build so far that I will be post later (as soon as I figure it out). I have made all of my plywood cuts and am ready to start putting the sub together but absent a 15" driver I cant go any further with the build. I live in Dayton, OH and was hoping Parts-Express would stay true to their timeline of availability for the Dayton DVC 385-88, (even called them a couple of times to confirm delivery today) but it appears they won't be in stock. What sub should I use as a viable alternative? I'd like to proceed with the build ASAP and don't really know where to turn.

Also, I'm curious how my Denon 3808CI will do with sub EQ. I really don't want to plop down a few hundred for an omnimic or alternatives and use MiniDSP etc. right now if I don't have to. That being said, if Audyssey XT isn't enough on the sub calibration front I will. I'm planning on building a dedicated theater downstairs within a couple years and know that I will eventually use REW or similar and a decent mic setup but don't know how necessary it is now.

I'm using the Dayton SA240 amp and for now the THT will be in a room with primarily hard surfaces and no acoustic treatments. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cyneric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" works.
post #3 of 155 Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^ yeah that - I have one of each of those drivers in two THT LPs, can't tell the difference.

As far as EQ - just try it with Audyssey first, and see if you like the result - can always add a dedicated EQ later if there are issues in room that bug you. In my room I definitely needed the dedicated EQ, but my receiver has MCACC which doesn't do much down low.
post #4 of 155 Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post

Also, I'm curious how my Denon 3808CI will do with sub EQ. I really don't want to plop down a few hundred for an omnimic or alternatives and use MiniDSP etc. right now if I don't have to. That being said, if Audyssey XT isn't enough on the sub calibration front I will. I'm planning on building a dedicated theater downstairs within a couple years and know that I will eventually use REW or similar and a decent mic setup but don't know how necessary it is now.

creepy. I have the same AVR and the same issue/question as I get closer to finishing and installing my cinema f-20.
post #5 of 155 Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a 3808ci. Audyssey will boost nulls in the bass, it did it to mine. I saw it when i purchased an Omnimic......

I am now building a tuning subwoofer to fill in the null from another location in the room.....

I tested all this......There is a small movement of members embracing multiple sub locations, the numbers and graphs speak for them selves

I know this isnt what you wanted to do though
post #6 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation of the RSS390HF-4... I'm picking one up and the materials for the rest of the build today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

I have a 3808ci. Audyssey will boost nulls in the bass, it did it to mine. I saw it when i purchased an Omnimic......

I am now building a tuning subwoofer to fill in the null from another location in the room.....

I tested all this......There is a small movement of members embracing multiple sub locations, the numbers and graphs speak for them selves

I know this isnt what you wanted to do though

To be quite honest I would love to put two THTs in my living room right now but that scores about 0 on the WAF. As it is I'm pushing my luck with one of these beasts. Eventually, I will build a second when we finish the basement. I just hope the modes, nulls etc. in the living room won't be too horrid with just one sub. It's hard to tell whether they will or not right now because I have better bass reproduction from my center channel than my 15 year old sub.
post #7 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

These are just a few pictures of the build so far... I'm hoping to make a lot more progress this weekend now that I will have a driver. As far as finishes, I really like the look of the some of the piano black THTs. Is it much more difficult to finish it in piano black vs matte black?
LL
LL
LL
post #8 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I built a couple TT for my garage system and for a cople of 8" drivers it fills in quite nice.

Yeah, she'll hand you your head if you chern out two of those monsters LOL. Food for thought you already heard about. Good luck with the build, lots of cuts for sure on folded horns. I sharpened up my tablesaw skills during the week it took my to build both of mine.. PL is great glue also
post #9 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

To be quite honest I would love to put two THTs in my living room right now but that scores about 0 on the WAF.

Perhaps she won't notice the second one.
post #10 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

Perhaps she won't notice the second one.

Something like this? - Look familiar? I remember someone having problems with those Christmas knickknacks

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #11 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

Something like this? - Look familiar? I remember someone having problems with those Christmas knickknacks

dbl

lol, that's what I did with mine. put one on top of the other. my walls hate me. I've had to replace over 150 drywall nails in my house now with screws
post #12 of 155 Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

These are just a few pictures of the build so far... I'm hoping to make a lot more progress this weekend now that I will have a driver. As far as finishes, I really like the look of the some of the piano black THTs. Is it much more difficult to finish it in piano black vs matte black?

Good to see more THT builds

Yes, the piano black will be significantly more difficult and time consuming versus doing a flat matte black or Duratex.

I haven't seen a piano black THT yet but would love to see one
post #13 of 155 Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I've made some progress on the build and am going to try and embed some photos.

Cutting the hole for the driver in panel 3.

I test fit the driver and everything went well but the hurricane nuts I'm using overlap the plywood a little bit. It looks like the driver would never make contact with them but I don't know whether I should grind them down or not.

Glued panel one into place. This is all I've done for now and will be making more progress next weekend.

Some excess PL. I've seen some builds where it's oozing out of the cracks... Am I going too light on the PL?

Testing out a new brad nailer to hold things in place . Seems to be working really well. We had all of the internal panels drawn out on the side panel and decided to drill small holes in the middle of the 1/2 inch plywood layout of the side panels and connect the dots on the opposite side so we would know exactly where to brad. If that sentence makes no sense let me know and I can try to explain further

post #14 of 155 Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Lol I'm certainly not in a rush to replace all of my drywall nails with screws. I also have the sneaking suspicion that my wife may notice a second THT considering it would be about a food taller than she is if I stacked them... I remember seeing your video of the nutcrackers doing 360s. Needless to say, I will not be showing that video to her...

As far as finishes go, I'm not sure if I want to invest the time to get the piano black finish just right but we'll see as I get closer to the end of the build.
post #15 of 155 Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

Yes, the piano black will be significantly more difficult and time consuming versus doing a flat matte black or Duratex.

I haven't seen a piano black THT yet but would love to see one

Thats mine in the piano finish, not perfect but looks flawless in real

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1364005
post #16 of 155 Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Your THT is the one that inspired me to finish in piano. I also really like the gold stripe and tuba HT written on the cab. I also have a full Def Tech setup so I was planning on the piano finish to blend with the rest of my gear. After your comment about it blending perfectly with the Mythos ST I think I may have to go the piano finish route.

How much time did the piano finish take? What steps and products did you use? I've never finished anything like that before and would love to get it right the first time.

One thing I just thought about was the fact that I didn't use my big clamps on the end of panel one to hold it to the side panel. Will the PL expanding be a problem and cause leaks? It it too late to clamp or will things be alright and I should just clamp more in the future?
post #17 of 155 Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
HolyIndian had his finished by one of BFMs builders. Piano gloss is a tedious process, I hope that doesn't deter you as his is very nice. Well worth it if the sub is in a room where it can be seen like furniture. Paint and sand, paint and sand using finer sand paper as you go. Then gloss finish, sand and continue until you get the effect. I wish I could help more, but that's the gist. Good luck!
post #18 of 155 Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Looking good so far Cyneric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

For sure. I haven't spent much time on the board as of late and am actually surprised to see THT's still being built. I would have assumed a new "flavor-o-the-month" had come along That said, I am still enjoying the heck out of mine. It still impresses myself and my friends.
post #19 of 155 Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I test fit the driver and everything went well but the hurricane nuts I'm using overlap the plywood a little bit. It looks like the driver would never make contact with them but I don't know whether I should grind them down or not.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as the driver surround doesn't make contact.
I'd think i
Quote:

Some excess PL. I've seen some builds where it's oozing out of the cracks... Am I going too light on the PL?

Mine was about the same I'd say, didn't have any problems, no leaks - the stuff expands to fill cracks. Before you attach the last side, double check over all the joints and if any look suspect, slather on a bit more PL before you put the last side on.

Quote:

One thing I just thought about was the fact that I didn't use my big clamps on the end of panel one to hold it to the side panel. Will the PL expanding be a problem and cause leaks? It it too late to clamp or will things be alright and I should just clamp more in the future?

Was the panel also held in place with screws or brads? If so, I'd think you're OK. Inspect the joint visually to see there's PL squeeze out, if in doubt add a fillet of PL along the joint with a disposable glove or paper towel covered finger.
post #20 of 155 Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Made some more progress last night. There really is no substitute for some good clamps and a brad nailer. Sorry for the shoddy image quality - not everyone can be like PassingInterest... especially with a camera phone.

More to come...
post #21 of 155 Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:

There may be inadequate humidity, which is common in winter. After fastening the panel spritz the joint with water.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #22 of 155 Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

There may be inadequate humidity, which is common in winter. After fastening the panel spritz the joint with water.

Will do. Thanks Bill.
post #23 of 155 Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Looks great! I had my high hopes to do mine in Piano Black Gloss but the duratex for my application worked out decently.

Nice job.
post #24 of 155 Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

I guess this post is more related to finishing the theater in my basement but it has a lot to do with the THT. I was considering a drop ceiling but could also go the drywall route. Will the pressure from two THTs move the panels in a drop ceiling? I cannot stand noise from rattling glasses etc. while watching a movie or listening to music and I'm afraid panels shaking would drive me crazy.
post #25 of 155 Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

This vid may answer your question.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #26 of 155 Old 02-14-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well that answers that... Thanks for the clarification dbl!
post #27 of 155 Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 973
dang, who is the chick on the screen dbl?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28 of 155 Old 02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I cannot stand noise from rattling glasses etc. while watching a movie or listening to music and I'm afraid panels shaking would drive me crazy.

I agree, when it comes to music. For movies I would disagree (from a renter's perspective). When I hear huge explosions I wanna feel like my walls are gonna collapse. To be honest, I think all the builder's out there who go 'over the top' when it comes to subwoofers should get ranked on a list of 'Seismic Gladiators'. Wouldn't the ultimate distinguishing mark to leave in life be to get remembered as 'The Guy Who's House Collapsed While Watching A Movie'. I mean, what a heroic way to go out!

I remember testing my Shiva-X2 for the first time and while playing test tones I walked to the other side of the house and realized the windows were rattling so far away. Needless to say, I got a devilish grin on my face and headed quickly back to my testing as if I was some kind of evil doctor performing a mad experiment. I guess as time wore on my mind just started associating wall/window vibrations with warm and fuzzy feelings of joy. I'd love nothing more than to have a window smash out while the in-laws are over for movie-night!

Perhaps I'm steering away from the original topic a tad. I guess I just wanted to say hey, give it a chance cuz you might like it...I do
post #29 of 155 Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

I agree, when it comes to music. For movies I would disagree (from a renter's perspective). When I hear huge explosions I wanna feel like my walls are gonna collapse. To be honest, I think all the builder's out there who go 'over the top' when it comes to subwoofers should get ranked on a list of 'Seismic Gladiators'. Wouldn't the ultimate distinguishing mark to leave in life be to get remembered as 'The Guy Who's House Collapsed While Watching A Movie'. I mean, what a heroic way to go out!

Though I can agree that going out with house collapsing around you would be legendary, I don't want to be that guy nor do I think I'll be close with one THT. That said, I do agree that the tactile response I get from my floor shaking during explosions etc. is very cool during movies. I used to have buttkickers so I'm certainly not one to shy away from a little shaking but I've never had a sub capable of shaking the walls so I guess I shouldn't knock it before I try it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open about the possibility of enjoying hearing my house flex. I still think I'm going to drywall the ceiling though after seeing dbl's video. From the looks of it, I'd probably have panels bouncing out of place and landing on me if I ran the subs on full blast with a drop ceiling.
post #30 of 155 Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping to finish the sub on Sunday except for painting the exterior. How important is breaking in the driver? I'd love to fire it up for a test run.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page