Help me with girll covers, please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about a grill cover for my recent Three Pi project. Can someone point me to a link or give me some info on a simple way to construct grill covers?

I've seen female sockets for sale for posts from grill covers, but not much else.

Besides building a frame and stretching cloth, are there kits or pieces to purchase that would make the job easier. I'm thinking something just enough to hide the actual screws and gaskets (the ones that hold the cone in place, and serve as a gasket if mounted from behind a panel).

Any help would be appreciated.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
have a look at this:

http://www.hifizine.com/files/2010/05/1006e-0007.jpg

because of the camera flash, you can see the frame layout through the speaker grill on the floor.

"Besides building a frame and stretching cloth, are there kits or pieces to purchase that would make the job easier."

there isn't much to it. make sure you use actual grill cloth, not just any random thing in order to make sure that it is as acoustically transparent as possible.

one option to consider is using magnets to hold on the grill instead of pins. another option is to route the edge of grill cover at either 45 degree or roundover so that it looks a little more "finished".

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I've seen small neo magnets and steel used to hold DIY grilles on. I've even seen the magnets flush fitted behind the veneer.

The only grille I've ever built was years ago, and a friend who is an artist stretched the material the same was as he did canvasses to paint on, but the details of the 'how to' for that part I forget. Shouldn't be hard to find out though. Maybe an art shop could do it for you if you supplied the frame and material.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Liked: 12
I made these with a few pieces of 1/2" mdf and some neo magnets I bought from home depot. You have use a drill bit of the same size diameter as the magnet you are going to use and mark the depth on the drill bit with a piece of tape to set the depth that you want the magnet to be mounted. As far as the material you can either order it from PE or some craft and material shops carry it. Good luck.
LL
LL
post #5 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheapest way and probably the most solid way to build a custom grill is to buy a yard of grill fabric and use the magnets from parts express. The grill magnets are top notch. I just used staples which wasn't the cleanest looking but I have heard others using silicone with a thread and needle to hold it together while the silicone dried. To drill the magnet holes i used a bit just a tiny bit smaller than the mags and clamped the frame of the grill to the sub box. I then drilled all the way thru the grill frame and just deep enough into the box for it to be flush. I then filled the grill frame extra space with some wood filler or bondo. I found this to be the best way to line up the magnets perfectly. An easy way to mark the depth on the drill bit is to wrap electrical tape around it so you don't drill too far. Take the depth of the ply your using for the grill and the magnet and your good to go. Best of luck to ya.
LL
LL
LL
post #6 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
might want to update the title... :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

I clicked on this just to see the jokes. I was let down...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #8 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

No way! Most guys spend their entire lived trying to uncover girls. Maybe we could all learn something here.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even notice that it was spelled wrong until the 3rd joke...
post #10 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There are two good ways to do the grill cloth either using spray contact cement or screen spline. Screen spline is easier, contact cement looks nicer. For the screen spline set your tablesaw to about 3/16" height and on the back of each grill frame saw a groove down the center of each side of the grill. Then buy some screen spline from the hardware store that fits tightly in the slot you just cut. Also round off all your corners and edges so you don't catch or tear the fabric.

Cut your grill cloth big enough to wrap the grill frame. On one of the sides, wrap the cloth around the back and insert the spline into the slot to hold the cloth in place in the center of the grill. Then do the same thing on the opposite side stretching the cloth some as you wrap it. Once you have the middle of both sides held with the spline, do the same with the top and bottom. Then I work my way around stretching the grill cloth evenly in all directions and inserting the spline all the way around. The hardest part is the corners, you can either fold them over or cut the excess fabric in the corners. Since you have a couple extra layers of fabric to fit into the spline slot you may need to enlarge the slot in near the corners to get the fabric and the spline to fit.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i made a full-front grill cover for my sub build a few months ago. did wonders to cover my horrid veneer and finishing work

I used those socket connectors from parts express. pretty easy. i used a 1/2" MDF sheet that covered the entire baffle - then i cut holes for the driver and ports and stretched grille cloth (also from PE) across and stapled it to the back. I planned on using 3M spray adhesive to help hold the grille cloth but i forgot to pick it up at Home Depot and was too lazy to go back. it was a hackjob but you can't tell from the front. looks good enough for me . i might try magnets if i make grills for another project

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21195675

good luck
joe
post #12 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

have a look at this:

http://www.hifizine.com/files/2010/05/1006e-0007.jpg

wow - those are nice. are they yours? is there a build thread?
post #13 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

I clicked on this just to see the jokes. I was let down...

Haha I was so tempted - but, I dunno, it seemed too easy I guess. And childish. We wouldn't want that now would we.

By the way - I prefer my girlls uncovered, thank you very much!
post #14 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
it really is simple to "build frame and strech cloth"

if I can you can..

check my Sig.

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
post #15 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The wrinkle with grill covers for full-range speakers is diffraction off of the frame.

I'm thinking something like a belt of stretchy material that goes around the middle that covers the drivers.

Noah
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page