AviaTrix or Commercial - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering building a pair of AviaTrix speakers from plans available from Speaker Design works, at approx. 350 for a pair (parts kit and plywood, when not on sale). I think this will be fun to do, I've been itching to make some sawdust for a while now but haven't found a worthwhile project. I like the idea of a pre-designed plan/kit since someone else has already proven the design. I've read a lot of good things about these speakers, but I can't experience them myself which makes me a little nervous.

We use our setup mostly for TV watching (85%), movies (10%) and music (5%).

The room is 20x15 (approx) and has hardwood floors with an area carpet covering most of the area between the TV and our viewing area. It is not a dedicated home theater room, it is a family room. I currently have a set of 5 Focal Sib speakers, and a focal sub (Speaker kit), all of this is running off of a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver. We don't usually turn our volume up too much, but when we do it gets kind of muddy. We usually keep it between -30 and -28.

I have the time and tools to make the speakers, I just want to make sure my time and money are going into a worthwhile project.

My eventual DIY AviaTrix setup would consist of a 5.1 system.
Receiver: My current Yamaha RX-V661 (90W @ 8ohms by 7 channels, published wattage is 630)

L/R Mains: AviaTrix ML-TL (est. material cost $350)
Center+2 surrounds: AviaTrix Sealed MTM (est. material cost, $550)
Sub: Current Focal sub . . or a DIY sub if necessary. (approx. cost - unknown, TBD)

If I move forward with this, I'd start with just the L/R speakers and try them out. . I figure for $350 and the fun I'll have building them will be worth it. . and if I don't like them I can stop there.

The satisfaction of making my own speakers will be priceless!

Here are a few questions I have, in your experience:
Q1: For +/- $175 per speaker, what is the best commercial comparison in terms of sound quality?
Q2: Are there any other similarly styled DIY speaker designs that are the same/better at the same/lower price?
Q3: if I don't like them, is there anyone out there who will purchase them (or the parts) from me?
Q4: Will my receiver do well with these speakers (the speakers are rated at 6-ohm MT-TL/8-ohm MTM sealed)?
Q5: Does anyone have any good reference points for how well these sound compared to speakers in the same price range?
Q6: Is there anyone in NH who has a set of these built that would be willing to audition for me? I'd love to hear them for myself!

And of course, any other comments that you feel are relevant or other considerations that I may be missing.

Thanks and I look forward to any input you have since this will be my first build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 835
for tv watching, you would probably do much better with a horn speaker.

something like the econowave project over at audiokarma or the parham 3pi speakers.

they focus the higher frequencies right at you, so they don't bounce off the walls as much.

if you have ever been in a church, where you thought that it was really difficult to understand what was being said, that is sound bouncing all around everywhere.

if you put on a pair of headphones and listened to the same talk, it is clear.

good horn speakers provide much greater dialog intelligibility in a typical room than the more omni-directional speakers that you are asking about.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Beerparty has a few different Aviatrix builds and lives in NH. You could probably look him up here and see if you could listen to his.

I have 4 being used as surrounds and they work just fine.

James
post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
You need a DIY event...

Spend a weekend with a bunch of speaker crazy's listening to a bunch of designs and even if yours isn't present, you get a good calibration from those who've heard them. Sadly, they tend to be spread out geographically and temporally. Perhaps there's one in Boston, I don't recall for sure.

I will also be very surprised if you a) hear a horn design and b) find the horn design sounds better. Ask the same question on PE's Tech Talk, or at HTGuide, and you'll get more-representative responses.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

There is the DIYNE every year and I also had one last year myself.

James
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Beerparty has a few different Aviatrix builds and lives in NH. You could probably look him up here and see if you could listen to his.

I have 4 being used as surrounds and they work just fine.

James

I've seen his threads and will contact him.

With yours, what do/did you have to comare them to? By the way you phrased it, it doesn't seem like they are as good as the fourms I've been reading imply?

At one point I was considering some Polk monitors from newegg as well as the TSI, and RTI series. I know that these are not exactly "high end", but by no means, bottom of the barrel either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

There is the DIYNE every year and I also had one last year myself.

James

Is there an "offical" DIYNE forum, listserv or group somewhere that organizes these? I was reading up on the DIYNE from October, from the pics it looked like a neat event.

Thank you for the responses so far. Are DIY setups a dying/slowing hobby or it is my title just poorly phrased? I thought there would be a few more responses.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hrob,

I had recession busters for my surrounds before these. I knew what type of speakers Curt and Wayne could design so I felt the Aviatrix would be great for my room as surrounds and they are.

For this part I am not sure how to reply By the way you phrased it, it doesn't seem like they are as good as the forums I've been reading imply?
I had no desire to try these as my fronts since I already have a set I am happy with. Most folks who use a design from C&W are happy with their selection and I see no reason to believe folks are not happy with these as their front section. Just do some reading around and see if these will fit what you are looking for compared to other designs.

To the best of my knowledge Dave does not have a forum but usually posts about his event (DIYNE) at PE Tech Talk and HTGuide.

As for the not receiving many replies here, I believe most folks are looking at horn, high efficiency, etc type of speakers now a days on this forum. If you check over at Tech Talk there seems to be a bit more variety of speakers designs going on.

James
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

There are quite a few forums out there. I've been reading up on various designs from them. I'd love to build a set of kahns or statements but right now a 5 speaker setup with either of those designs is a bit over my budget. I've contacted beerparty and he actually lives in the next town over so there's a chance we'll get together when our schedules allow.

I'm leaning towards a set of the aviatrix speakers or a set similar by cjd and Ryan after reading a few comments about these beating out some of the commercial speakers I was initially looking at.

The only remaining question I have has to do with my receiver and if it will be able to power a set of 4 or 6 ohm nominal speakers. I may have to by an amp and use my Yamaha receiver as a preamp.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrob View Post

The only remaining question I have has to do with my receiver and if it will be able to power a set of 4 or 6 ohm nominal speakers. I may have to by an amp and use my Yamaha receiver as a preamp.

I use my Denon AVR 1709 (80W @ 8ohms, 115W @ 6ohms) to drive the AviaTrix MTMs, I have had no problems at all. If you are worried you can bring your Yamaha to our "get together" and we can hook it up to them and try it.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page