Edogg's QUAD LMS AIY (Assemble It Yourself) Build - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Why use a HPF on the best sealed sub driver money can buy?!?

Looks great, btw!

Scared of the subs bottoming out. As I get used to them and they start to break-in I'll slowly push them a little harder.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Excuse me if you mentioned, how will you be dialing in these monsters. They look unreal, great build. Your mains look like they will have no problem keeping up. That amp could kill an elephant....
kgveteran is offline  
post #123 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

Excuse me if you mentioned, how will you be dialing in these monsters. They look unreal, great build. Your mains look like they will have no problem keeping up. That amp could kill an elephant....

Thanks!

Im using XT32 (I have a Denon 4311) paired together with an SMS-1 to dial everything in. So far im really liking the results.
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #124 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Any way you can run a sine wave to em' to get them nice and broken in? a 20hz sine for about 12 hours outa do just fine. High excursion, not near the minima, plenty of air flow through the coil at that freq.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #125 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Any way you can run a sine wave to em' to get them nice and broken in? a 20hz sine for about 12 hours outa do just fine. High excursion, not near the minima, plenty of air flow through the coil at that freq.

I suppose I could figure out a way to run a 20hz loop for half a day, guess im just not in a huge rush. lol
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #126 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
tgse3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

I suppose I could figure out a way to run a 20hz loop for half a day, guess im just not in a huge rush. lol

I broke my subs in by putting on a 10-20hz track on repeat. I'd set the sleep timer on my receiver for 20mins at a time in the evenings so the amp wouldn't get too warm.
tgse3 is offline  
post #127 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I break all my subs in with bass heavy movies. Sit back and enjoy em'.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #128 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I break all my subs in with bass heavy movies. Sit back and enjoy em'.

Scuba-Steve's demo disc has been getting a ton of use since I finished the build.
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #129 of 603 Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I break all my subs in with bass heavy movies. Sit back and enjoy em'.

Haha that is my main break in as well. I can tell the xxx needs some additional help though. Heck the tempest x-2 said over 12 hours break in with 20hz at ref!!! I've been hitting up the scuba steve disk and some dub step so far

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #130 of 603 Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just finished the Immortals BD.

It went like this: LMS's meet Immortals, Immortals meet LMS's!
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #131 of 603 Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hey guys, been thinking, as it stands now I have my subs set to ONE on the Denon 4311ci. Then out to the SMS-1 then the signal gets split to the clone amp. Do you guys think it would be worth it to add a second SMS-1 so that I could run a TRUE dual sub EQ and take advantage of XT32???
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #132 of 603 Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Hey guys, been thinking, as it stands now I have my subs set to ONE on the Denon 4311ci. Then out to the SMS-1 then the signal gets split to the clone amp. Do you guys think it would be worth it to add a second SMS-1 so that I could run a TRUE dual sub EQ and take advantage of XT32???

Just as long as the subs are the same distance to the LP then it won't make a difference. XT32 only sets the distance (phase) and levels of the subs separately but it then EQ's them as 1. That is why when you first start the calibration it first pings the subs separately but every mic position after that it pings them at the same time.

It's never correct to EQ subs separately if they are playing the same signal which is the case here. The only reason you would EQ them separately is if they are set up to play for example the left channel and right channel in a stereo set-up. In this case they would be playing different signals and not set up as the .1 in a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #133 of 603 Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just copied this from Audyssey's page on Sub EQ HT which is included in XT32:

Bass in small rooms is notoriously difficult to get right. Bass lovers will try almost anything to enhance bass output. Many believe adding a second subwoofer will solve the problem - this is true in part, but only if the second subwoofer is properly integrated, not simply added on to an existing set-up. Audyssey Sub EQ HT ensures that the level and delay for each subwoofer is correct before integrating them into the equalization solution.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #134 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
2nd pair of cabs ordered! Should be here in about a week and a half.

Now to save up for another pair of LMS's. UGH! lol
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #135 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Sweeeet!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #136 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

2nd pair of cabs ordered! Should be here in about a week and a half.

Now to save up for another pair of LMS's. UGH! lol

Assuming I receive said bonus I assume I am getting, and measurements between now and then still prove that I need some more output/headroom guess what I think I may do friday? seems like we are about on the same time schedule

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #137 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Assuming I receive said bonus I assume I am getting, and measurements between now and then still prove that I need some more output/headroom guess what I think I may do friday? seems like we are about on the same time schedule

2 more XXX's?? Or will ya have a XXX/LMS combo?? Either way, BADASS!
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #138 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Sweeeet!

Yes sir!
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #139 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

2 more XXX's?? Or will ya have a XXX/LMS combo?? Either way, BADASS!

probably keeping them all the same, but not gonna count the chickens before they hatch.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #140 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,579
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Eric, it's nice to see you have totally embraced the dark side Now the only way out is death!!!!!!!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #141 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Eric, it's nice to see you have totally embraced the dark side Now the only way out is death!!!!!!!!!

Thank bro! You know its partly your fault. Not sure weather I should thank you or not.
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #142 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,579
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Thank bro! You know its partly your fault. Not sure weather I should thank you or not.

I'm sure your lady would want to punch me in the face but that pesky boarder thing always seem to get in the way LOL

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #143 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I'm sure your lady would want to punch me in the face

And don't forget about the kick to the nuts!
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #144 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,579
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 238
LOL, what does she think about you getting 2 more? Mine just rolles her eyes and says I have to pay for anything I break LOL. I had a guy over on saturday for a Demo from the emo forum and I shook the "George Forman Grill" off the counter and it smashed in half. The guy was loving every minute of it though

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #145 of 603 Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

LOL, what does she think about you getting 2 more? Mine just rolles her eyes and says I have to pay for anything I break LOL. I had a guy over on saturday for a Demo from the emo forum and I shook the "George Forman Grill" off the counter and it smashed in half. The guy was loving every minute of it though

Haha! Cool!

I havent told her. lol Not planning on too till the boxes show up. Though in my defense she does know that my plan was to get 4 of them when I sold the Conquests.
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #146 of 603 Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Haha! Cool!

I havent told her. lol Not planning on too till the boxes show up. Though in my defense she does know that my plan was to get 4 of them when I sold the Conquests.

You sir, are an inspiration... My wife would have my balls if I did that without letting her know first. That would be like if I went out and bought a 2013 GT-R and was like, oh you said I could get it when I told you I wanted one last month... Well, here it is and no you can't drive it...

I will have to live vicariously through you and this thread for a couple of months because I don't trust eD can get two boxes built for me in time for my house warming party in the next few weeks.

Why did eD ship the grills separately? Were they apart of the original purchase? Or did you have to pay extra for them? How thick are the grills?

 

popalock is offline  
post #147 of 603 Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

You sir, are an inspiration... My wife would have my balls if I did that without letting her know first. That would be like if I went out and bought a 2013 GT-R and was like, oh you said I could get it when I told you I wanted one last month... Well, here it is and no you can't drive it...

I will have to live vicariously through you and this thread for a couple of months because I don't trust eD can get two boxes built for me in time for my house warming party in the next few weeks.

Why did eD ship the grills separately? Were they apart of the original purchase? Or did you have to pay extra for them? How thick are the grills?

lol!

They shipped the grills separately because they were waiting on materials. The delay was only about a week, so no big deal. I think theyre about an 1in thick. Im sure the cost of the grills was factored into the total price, but as pretty as those drivers are im glad i got them. They help to keep little hands & feet away from them.
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #148 of 603 Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

lol!

They shipped the grills separately because they were waiting on materials. The delay was only about a week, so no big deal. I think theyre about an 1in thick. Im sure the cost of the grills was factored into the total price, but as pretty as those drivers are im glad i got them.

Ok, nice... I'll keep that in mind when I pick the dimensions of the box.

Right now I'm thinking of a cube form. Maybe 21" x 21" x 20"(21" w/grill)

Should give me about 4 cubes. BTW, how is that size working out for you from a performance perspective? I read somewhere that you could go as low as 2.7 cubes for the Ultra. Not that it really matters to me though, I'm not necessairly space limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

They help to keep little hands & feet away from them.

Haha, my dad told me a story once about how he had a high end Yamaha system in the mid 80's and a toddler got ahold of the speaker cone, shoved his finger through the dustcap and proceeded to rip it apart...

That toddler was in fact me. I would have whopped my own a$$ if I knew what I was doing...lol

I couldn't imagine a toddler encountering a LMS 5400... It if was moving at all it would probably break some baby fingers...

 

popalock is offline  
post #149 of 603 Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Ok, nice... I'll keep that in mind when I pick the dimensions of the box.

Right now I'm thinking of a cube form. Maybe 21" x 21" x 20"(21" w/grill)

Should give me about 4 cubes. BTW, how is that size working out for you from a performance perspective? I read somewhere that you could go as low as 2.7 cubes for the Ultra. Not that it really matters to me though, I'm not necessairly space limited.



Haha, my dad told me a story once about how he had a high end Yamaha system in the mid 80's and a toddler got ahold of the speaker cone, shoved his finger through the dustcap and proceeded to rip it apart...

That toddler was in fact me. I would have whopped my own a$$ if I knew what I was doing...lol

I couldn't imagine a toddler encountering a LMS 5400... It if was moving at all it would probably break some baby fingers...

The size is perfect for my needs. Especially since im playing on stacking the next pair of subs. A pair of them will be nice and sturdy even at refernce levels.

HAHA! Cool story! Everytime my dad comes over and see's my rig, he reminds me of how i broke open his cassette player door when i was young.

OPPSSSIEE!!
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #150 of 603 Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 6,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Ok, nice... I'll keep that in mind when I pick the dimensions of the box.

Right now I'm thinking of a cube form. Maybe 21" x 21" x 20"(21" w/grill)

Should give me about 4 cubes. BTW, how is that size working out for you from a performance perspective? I read somewhere that you could go as low as 2.7 cubes for the Ultra. Not that it really matters to me though, I'm not necessairly space limited.



Haha, my dad told me a story once about how he had a high end Yamaha system in the mid 80's and a toddler got ahold of the speaker cone, shoved his finger through the dustcap and proceeded to rip it apart...

That toddler was in fact me. I would have whopped my own a$$ if I knew what I was doing...lol

I couldn't imagine a toddler encountering a LMS 5400... It if was moving at all it would probably break some baby fingers...



You get that low in space, your going to need to give it a WHOLE lot of power, 4 cubes has proven to be a great excursion limiting sized box where it will get you below 10hz and will keep the driver protected.

And even back then, your appreciation for a fine speaker was born!! haha, i bet that yamaha system wasnt moving 3 inches peak to peak at the time Otherwise you might be as far from this forum as possible!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off