Edogg's QUAD LMS AIY (Assemble It Yourself) Build - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

You could have just run one xlr cable to the amps and hooked up the rest of the inputs with jumpers

I know, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Reason being is that in the past it seemed to me that the more cables I used to send the LFE signal the more chances of picking up some kind of hum in the system.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So here's the custom made BJC 4-1 XLR splitter, and of course the necessary speaker cabling needed to wire the next 2 subs up.

BTW, 3rd driver gets here Monday! One amp and more driver left! WOOHOO!! I can see the daylight now!

edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Driver #3 is here! ;D

Preping the cab:


Driver assembly followed by some free air testing:


Loaded! Thank god I heard about the zip-tie drop-in method.


Stacked!

edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,361
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Damn, that's sexy.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Now that's what I'm talking about

Check it out, I just took a reaction shot of one of your neighbors

Now for a group photo of your whole neighborhood:


"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,911
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Wow...F'n awesome, edogg!

Would be cool if eD could build you 1 speaker grill for both subs! It would have a very nice finished look to it!
dominguez1 is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
datranz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fontana, california
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I can't even imagine what will happen if you one day crank it up 11.
LL
datranz is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Driver #3 is here! ;D

Yeeaahhh! Piece by piece, making moves...

Can't wait to see if an additional 6bb will satisfy your upgraditus itch.

Freeair testing go ok? That sounds fun in and of itself.
popalock is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

I know, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Reason being is that in the past it seemed to me that the more cables I used to send the LFE signal the more chances of picking up some kind of hum in the system.

You're actually exposing more of the signal to hum the way you're doing it, as opposed to using a 6-12" jumper between amps.
notnyt is online now  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Damn, that's sexy.

Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about

Check it out, I just took a reaction shot of one of your neighbors

Now for a group photo of your whole neighborhood:


LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Wow...F'n awesome, edogg!

Would be cool if eD could build you 1 speaker grill for both subs! It would have a very nice finished look to it!

Thanks man! Hey vey cool idea!! After I buy the next amp & driver I might have to consider doing just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

I can't even imagine what will happen if you one day crank it up 11.

Can't wait to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Yeeaahhh! Piece by piece, making moves...

Can't wait to see if an additional 6bb will satisfy your upgraditus itch.

Freeair testing go ok? That sounds fun in and of itself.

The free air testing went just fine. Been playing some dubstep for a few hours now helping it break in.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

You're actually exposing more of the signal to hum the way you're doing it, as opposed to using a 6-12" jumper between amps.

Really?? Well no hum in the system as of now. Next week when I order the 2nd amp I'll see how the adapter works out.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,664
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Edogg, I know you probably don't need more people telling you how bad ass your subs look but I had to say it anyway. Wow. I'd love to hear those.
carp is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,671
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Really?? Well no hum in the system as of now. Next week when I order the 2nd amp I'll see how the adapter works out.

The hum you're worried about is probably from ground loop, which will not matter either way with the cable situation.
notnyt is online now  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

The free air testing went just fine. Been playing some dubstep for a few hours now helping it break in.

Dubstep Eh??

Kickstarts (Bar 9 Remix) is a ridiculously fun song to rock out to... Sounds great with my lil setup and I know it would crush on yours.

Video of the freeair testing too much to ask??? Just for the fun of it...
popalock is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Dubstep Eh??

Kickstarts (Bar 9 Remix) is a ridiculously fun song to rock out to... Sounds great with my lil setup and I know it would crush on yours.

Video of the freeair testing too much to ask??? Just for the fun of it...

To be honest it isnt really my cup of tea, but it gets the job done.

Sorry no video. The driver's already loaded and the subs are stacked.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Member
 
pwz414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edog, those are sexy woofers, man, and you've got enough power to overcome the smaller enclosure. Just sweet

How is everything sounding?
pwz414 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwz414 View Post

Edog, those are sexy woofers, man, and you've got enough power to overcome the smaller enclosure. Just sweet

How is everything sounding?

Everything sounds GREAT!

I'll be ordering either the 4th driver or 2nd amp this friday. Havent really decided which one to get first?? LOL! Either way once these last 2 pieces are ordered I think i'll be done with all things LFE for a while.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Everything sounds GREAT!

I'll be ordering either the 4th driver or 2nd amp this friday. Havent really decided which one to get first?? LOL! Either way once these last 2 pieces are ordered I think i'll be done with all things LFE for a while.

Key word in that sentence think...

Hope it cures your itch buddy.
popalock is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Everything sounds GREAT!

I'll be ordering either the 4th driver or 2nd amp this friday. Havent really decided which one to get first?? LOL! Either way once these last 2 pieces are ordered I think i'll be done with all things LFE for a while.

My vote would be to get the 4th driver first then the 2nd amp later.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Key word in that sentence think...

Hope it cures your itch buddy.

I have other things I need to upgrade in the rig, so yeah, after these last few subs are up and running, no more LFE for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

My vote would be to get the 4th driver first then the 2nd amp later.

Gwhy??
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I can't remember, is the clone amp stable into 2 ohm loads stereo, 4 ohms bridged? If so then I would run it that way until you get the second amp. You don't have a HUGE room so it might wind up being enough power.

Besides, I would rather have the 4th sub ready to go with the instability of the OEM sub market. TC has gone away before and if it were to happen again and you got stuck missing your 4th that would suck. I doesn't seem likely but why take a chance?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I can't remember, is the clone amp stable into 2 ohm loads stereo, 4 ohms bridged? If so then I would run it that way until you get the second amp. You don't have a HUGE room so it might wind up being enough power.

Besides, I would rather have the 4th sub ready to go with the instability of the OEM sub market. TC has gone away before and if it were to happen again and you got stuck missing your 4th that would suck. I doesn't seem likely but why take a chance?

The clones are not stable @ 2ohms. 4ohms bridged shouldnt be a problem though.

Thinking about it, its not like im gonna run 3 subs anyways. I'll just order up the 4th driver this week and finish off the sub assemblies.

Time to start saving up for that 2nd amp!
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

The clones are not stable @ 2ohms. 4ohms bridged shouldnt be a problem though.

Thinking about it, its not like im gonna run 3 subs anyways. I'll just order up the 4th driver this week and finish off the sub assemblies.

Time to start saving up for that 2nd amp!

4ohm bridged is a no no. 2.7ohm stereo, or 5.4ohm bridged is the lowest impedence you should run them with.
lukeamdman is online now  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
^^^^

Thanks for the heads up bro!
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

4ohm bridged is a no no. 2.7ohm stereo, or 5.4ohm bridged is the lowest impedence you should run them with.

Will the amp just go into protect mode? Or will it royally eff something up if you push it down that low?
popalock is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,163
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Will the amp just go into protect mode? Or will it royally eff something up if you push it down that low?

The latter, those who have tried so far have lost their amp. Repairs im sure could be done, but it fries em pretty quick :/

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Member
 
pwz414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

The latter, those who have tried so far have lost their amp. Repairs im sure could be done, but it fries em pretty quick :/

Eeek, that sucks

Edog, definitely get the fourth sub first. Our rooms are about the same size, all be it yours is much more suave I’m running a Crown MacroTech 5002VZ on a 20 amp breaker and I have yet to see a distortion or clipping light during movie playback and the LFE can be unsettling. Your boxes are a bit smaller, but you’ve also got more power. Get that fourth sub running and then you can start tinkering with placement. With four of those to put where you choose, not limited by directionality (80Hz and up), you’re going to have some smooooth bass. The second amp later will just guarantee you can hurt someone while loafing
pwz414 is offline  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
4th sub it is! I'll get it ordered soon.
edoggrc51 is offline  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Edogg, Matt over at audioholics is selling a LMS and box if your interested... Seemed to be a pretty nice price...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...tml#post880946
Warpdrv is offline  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Edogg, Matt over at audioholics is selling a LMS and box if your interested... Seemed to be a pretty nice price...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...tml#post880946

Hmmm??? I dont need the box, but wonder if he'll sell the driver??

Thanks for the heads up warp!
edoggrc51 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off