Edogg's QUAD LMS AIY (Assemble It Yourself) Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Figured Id start this thread since so many of you guys have helped with advice/info/sims. I thought you guys might like to see the finished product.

I finally decided on a pair of LMS's, each in its own 4.0cuft sealed cabinet. Power will come from a FP14000k clone amp. The cabinets will be made by the guys from eD.

As of today the LMS's are scheduled to arrive this Friday. The amp should be here sometime next week, and the cabinets about a week and a half from now. Up to this point everything has gone as smooth as can be. The PE guys shipped out the sub's the very next day. Johnson from Sanway has been great! Very prompt responses and always took the time to answer all my questions. Alex from eD has also been a pleasure to deal to with.

As for the cabinets, I ended up going with a 24W x 20H x 22L. It will be made out of 1in. mdf with a triple front/rear baffle and the driver will be recessed. It will have the rounded-off corners, a grille, and finished in satin black paint. One of my goals with this project was to have the sub look like it came from an ID company. Hopefully I acomplish this goal.

I'll start adding pics as the parts start arriving. And of course any and all comments/feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks guys!!

EDIT: I thought i'd make it easier and post all the build pics in this 1st post:

Twins arrived safe and sound.

Packaging was the best I've ever seen. I mean this thing was quadruple boxed!

Powered on:

Test rig:

It's new home:

Also the Sunon (quiet) fans are GREAT!! They're no where near as loud as I thought they would be.

Some pics of the cabinets before going into the paint booth. Getting closer guys!

Got the last couple of cables/adapters from Blue Jeans Cable today. All set now, just waiting for the cabinets to arrive this coming week.

Cabs are here. ;D

They survived the trip without any mishaps. The packaging was minimal, but stuff was placed in the correct spots to avoid any damage. They are very very well made. They have a textured finish very similar to my old Conquests, and like the Epiks the boxes are SOLID.

Time to put them together.

Cabs all loaded.

DAMN these things are heavy!! I'm just glad I got the TC SOUNDS logo somewhat lined up without losing a finger. Mounting a 90lb driver in a recessed hole isnt exactly fun.

Some pics of the finished product.

Grills are here! eD shipped them extremely well packed. Finally all done! And just in time to proctect them from the kiddie party we're hosting today.

And some high res pics of the finished product.

Ok fellas, next 2 cabs are done. Should be getting them sometime next week. Getting closer to quads!!!! ;D

Ok guys, here's some detailed pics of the new cabs and also a few pics to give ya an idea of what the 4pk will look like. Ignore the dust spots on the cabs. Enjoy!

So I had BJC custom make me a 4-1 XLR splitter. I wanted to keep the signal path to the sub amps as simple as possible, so i figured this was the best way to go about it.

BTW, 3rd driver gets here Monday! One amp and more driver left! WOOHOO!! I can see the daylight now! ;D

Driver #3 is here! ;D

Preping the cab:

Driver assembly followed by some free air testing:

Loaded! Thank god I heard about the zip-tie drop-in method.

Stacked!

FedEx arrived a day early with sub #4. Just need that 2nd amp and I'll be all set!

Loaded!

Stacked!

ZeGhostbear likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How much were the eD cabinets? They are one of the few companies i trust to correctly construct a speaker cabinet, unlike some local cabinet maker who i think will cut corners. Trying to get a gauge on the price on a pair of 4 cu ft cabinets...
post #3 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Awesome Eric!!! let the Epicness begin!!!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #4 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

How much were the eD cabinets? They are one of the few companies i trust to correctly construct a speaker cabinet, unlike some local cabinet maker who i think will cut corners. Trying to get a gauge on the price on a pair of 4 cu ft cabinets...

Same here man. After talking to a few local cabinet /car audio shops I really never felt comfortable with them doing the job. eD on the other hand has been AWESOME! They should be sending me pics of the build during the next few days.

Cost was $450 each (shipped).
post #5 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Shipped thats not bad at all considering how heavy they must be with all that EDF + costs of rounded corners
post #6 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Sweet! Dual LMS-U project... yah!!!

Hmm.. I'll have to consider using the eD guys to build a cab sometime.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #7 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Isn't eD going to stop doing custom boxes? Also what's the turnaround time on a custom box, is it anywhere near as bad as it can be for 1 of their off the shelf subs? In other words can it take up to 2-3 months to get it?

Look's like a cool project edogg. Do you still have your conquests? Curious to see how the 2 compare.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #8 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Same here man. After talking to a few local cabinet /car audio shops I really never felt comfortable with them doing the job. eD on the other hand has been AWESOME! They should be sending me pics of the build during the next few days.

That is dirt cheap. I may just have to add 2 more lms at that price... :-) . Don't forget to post pictures!
post #9 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Isn't eD going to stop doing custom boxes? Also what's the turnaround time on a custom box, is it anywhere near as bad as it can be for 1 of their off the shelf subs? In other words can it take up to 2-3 months to get it?

Look's like a cool project edogg. Do you still have your conquests? Curious to see how the 2 compare.

Yeah they are. I think I got pretty lucky and snuck in my order right before they stopped doing the custom cabs. Turnaround time should be about 3 weeks.

The Conquest are gonzo, they went to their new home this past weekend.
post #10 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I hope your bolt holes on your drivers line up, your amp is a beast and when they did your 120V conversion (did you order that way?) they remembered to make sure their transformers? were in series? and that your cabs are beautiful.

Ugghhhh... I'm so bored right now. It is like having 3 cars in the shop, taking the bus to work, having no AC when it is 100 out.....

Man, I'm whiny!

Pictures when you get the cabs, I may have to tell Alex go on my standing order for cabs.

Just can't decide for front firing duals (SubM F2 JTR Sealed S2 style) or dual opposed.....
post #11 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Liked: 10
You won't be disappointed! I just bought one LMS 5400 in a 4 ft^3 sealed box, and it has so much output that I feel like I feel no need to turn on my second 18" Mael X
post #12 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I hope your bolt holes on your drivers line up

Just can't decide for front firing duals (SubM F2 JTR Sealed S2 style) or dual opposed.....

The driver I just got, I had to wiggle the bolt a little bit, but the assembly was really uneventful.

I vote for front firing duals, they will look much more menacing.
post #13 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also like the dual front firing look. Eventually when I add the second pair, I'll stack them to create that same look.
post #14 of 608 Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Dual LMS-U's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some pics of your neighbors when you crank them ahhhhhhhh, good times

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #15 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Lol I can get the neighbors window to visibly shake from my single LMS-U in the car.

To improve the black level performance of your projector: Shine bright light into your eyes every 5 minutes.
post #16 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah they are. I think I got pretty lucky and snuck in my order right before they stopped doing the custom cabs. Turnaround time should be about 3 weeks.

The Conquest are gonzo, they went to their new home this past weekend.

Hmm, wish i knew that, would have ordered my cabinets for a project ive been sitting on. Wonder if acoustic elegance does custom cabinetry anymore
post #17 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, couple of quick questions for ya.

1. How much polyfill should I use per box??

2. How would you guys connect the amp??

Im running a Denon 4311ci to an SMS-1. Im thinking of running a couple of XLR's from the SMS to the clone amp. What ya guys think??
post #18 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Holy hell! 900 shipped for $60 worth of wood? Are these already assembled and finished, or are these flat-packs?

YID DIY
post #19 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Holy hell! 900 shipped for $60 worth of wood? Are these already assembled and finished, or are these flat-packs?

In the first post.

Finished.
post #20 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Im running a Denon 4311ci to an SMS-1. Im thinking of running a coupl of XLR's from the SMS to the clone amp. What ya guys think??

I personally don't use polyfill but the amount just depends on how much you want to put in there. Most people who want to use that stuff correctly put some in, measure, add more or take out, measure again. I just line the walls with fiberglass. Easy. Seriously though, back in the day most would say they want 50% fill or 100% fill. IIRC, it was 1lb per cubic foot equals 100% fill.

Connect the amp? Well... you said you have the SMS-1, hook up the output from that to your amp. Bam!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #21 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im running a Denon 4311ci to an SMS-1. Im thinking of running a coupl of XLR's from the SMS to the clone amp. What ya guys think??

A couple of cheap wal-mart pillows would probably be sufficient per enclosure. What Scott said about 1lb per cuft sounds about right for 100% fill. I wouldn't want to add then test and add some more fill with a 90+ lb driver though, you could lose a finger that way

I would first connect the amp directly to the Denon's dual sub outs then run Audyssey. I have seen some reports that Audyssey can add some boost down low although I have not experienced that personally. Use your SMS-1 to measure the subs after Audyssey does it's thing and if the subs need some boost down low then put the SMS-1 into the mix. If you use the SMS-1 it is a mono device so you can only use the Sub1 output from your Denon. The SubEQ in your 4311 only sets distance(phase) and levels separately for dual subs but then EQ's them as one.

Your going to need RCA to XLR converters since the Denon only has RCA sub outs and the clone amp XLR inputs. I know Monoprice has some RCA to XLR cables and there local to you.

Once your set-up if you need some help then let me know and I can help tweak them out.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #22 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

A couple of cheap wal-mart pillows would probably be sufficient per enclosure. What Scott said about 1lb per cuft sounds about right for 100% fill. I wouldn't want to add then test and add some more fill with a 90+ lb driver though, you could lose a finger that way

I would first connect the amp directly to the Denon's dual sub outs then run Audyssey. I have seen some reports that Audyssey can add some boost down low although I have not experienced that personally. Use your SMS-1 to measure the subs after Audyssey does it's thing and if the subs need some boost down low then put the SMS-1 into the mix. If you use the SMS-1 it is a mono device so you can only use the Sub1 output from your Denon. The SubEQ in your 4311 only sets distance(phase) and levels separately for dual subs but then EQ's them as one.

Your going to need RCA to XLR converters since the Denon only has RCA sub outs and the clone amp XLR inputs. I know Monoprice has some RCA to XLR cables and there local to you.

Once your set-up if you need some help then let me know and I can help tweak them out.

I think I have some XLR adaters already, i'll double check. I'll get some on order if i dont.

How about a 12pk for some help Mike???
post #23 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I personally don't use polyfill but the amount just depends on how much you want to put in there. Most people who want to use that stuff correctly put some in, measure, add more or take out, measure again. I just line the walls with fiberglass. Easy. Seriously though, back in the day most would say they want 50% fill or 100% fill. IIRC, it was 1lb per cubic foot equals 100% fill.

Connect the amp? Well... you said you have the SMS-1, hook up the output from that to your amp. Bam!

As always Scott, thanks for the help!
post #24 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

In the first post.

Finished.

Wow, I missed an entire paragraph. Triple baffle and rear, 1" on the rest of the walls. Nice.

Good luck moving those things around. Remember to warm up first and use proper lifting techniques.

YID DIY
post #25 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Wow, I missed an entire paragraph. Triple baffle and rear, 1" on the rest of the walls. Nice.

Good luck moving those things around. Remember to warm up first and use proper lifting techniques.

The Conquests I just sold werent exactly light-weights.
post #26 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about a 12pk for some help Mike???

That's the kind of help I excel in

post #27 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 989
dont order the rca-xlr cables from monoprice, they tend to have LOTS of bad batches of those. All three I ordered came DOA. I ordered some off amazon for 5 bucks a shot, and they have all worked thus far.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

dont order the rca-xlr cables from monoprice, they tend to have LOTS of bad batches of those. All three I ordered came DOA. I ordered some off amazon for 5 bucks a shot, and they have all worked thus far.

Hmmm... good to know!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #29 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Thanks for the heads up bro. But since they're 10mins from me I think I'll take my chances. Worst case scenerio i'll drive back there till i find a good one.
post #30 of 608 Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up bro. But since they're 10mins from me I think I'll take my chances. Worst case scenerio i'll drive back there till i find a good one.

yea that wouldnt be too bad then. I love all their other stuff, just bad luck with those particular cables, give a slap to reality for me and tell em to figure out what they are doing wrong...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs