Hello all,

I have the following currently

Room is 10x18- Sitting position roughly 10-12ft from sub
Pioneer 1021 A/V Receiver
Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 for front L/R
Paradigm CC190 v6 for center
Paradigm Monitor Micro v6 for Surround L/R
Samsung 8in "150" watt Subwoofer from HT-AS720 HTiB

I have found that the Samsung subwoofer provides no more low bass then the Monitor 7 towers after running the pioneers auto correction.

So i was thinking of attempting to build a new box for the subwoofer or reuse only the amplifier and get a new subwoofer with a new box design.

I really have 0 dollars budgeted for such project but I can reasonably spend maybe $50 dollars on this attempted DIY project. I cant see spending more then that.

Best case i can put it in a slightly larger box as i find these HTiB always try to go for the smallest possible design. But im worried that without the Ts parameters i wont be able to tune a new box well.

Any Suggestions? Thanks!

**EDIT copied last post here

so i left this idea for awhile and now am back at it... lol

what i would like to do is reuse the amplifier.. i understand it will not have alot of power but should work for my smallish room. Id rather not have to buy another amp since my room is not that large.

what i would love to do is build a horn box or other type of suggested box for an 8" subwoofer (would need to be 8 ohm unless i try and risk burning the htib amp at 4 ohm) that is under $100

and just shot in the dark try out the old htib 8" if it sounds horrible ill order the new 8" to replace the htib sub.

i want to put the box behind my couch. i have a space of roughly 5'6" length / 3ft height/ 12-16" width

if i am better served using that space for a larger sub 10 or 12" im all ears for designs.

Its use will be 90% movies / 10% music and as such i want it to hit low and accurate!

sooo help a guy out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 835
honestly, i'd would save your money for something else.

for a $100 bucks and a largish enclosure, you can really add to the bass of your mains with a tapped horn.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=11

of course, you can make it a little longer which will give it a little lower tune.

simple, cheap, effective.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any way to make it more square?

i was hoping if i built something to use it as an end table.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 835
as a practical matter, no. there are other horns though. search around if you think that a horn may be something that will work for you. lilmike has several plans around here and bill fitzmaurice has several plans for sale on his site.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

so i managed to get the subwoofer out of the box. its an 8" - 8 ohm single voice coil subwoofer. seems like a paper cone and rubber surround. the numbers on the sub that are printed are below

U200L03SSK2
8(ohm symbol) / 07H029
80921L

is there any easy way to determine the Ts parameters so i can design a box for it? i can measure the box it came in and add to the thread.

thanks all for the help
post #6 of 6 Old 09-21-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

so i left this idea for awhile and now am back at it... lol

what i would like to do is reuse the amplifier.. i understand it will not have alot of power but should work for my smallish room. Id rather not have to buy another amp since my room is not that large.

what i would love to do is build a horn box or other type of suggested box for an 8" subwoofer (would need to be 8 ohm unless i try and risk burning the htib amp at 4 ohm) that is under $100

and just shot in the dark try out the old htib 8" if it sounds horrible ill order the new 8" to replace the htib sub.

i want to put the box behind my couch. i have a space of roughly 5'6" length / 3ft height/ 12-16" width

if i am better served using that space for a larger sub 10 or 12" im all ears for designs.

Its use will be 90% movies / 10% music and as such i want it to hit low and accurate!

sooo help a guy out!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page