Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Deleted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Very nice Jay!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cut and flush trimmed using a dremel with it's circle guide attachment!

LL
LL

Gluing up some 2" ABS pipe for the port before I start gluing panels together.
LL

post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In keeping with the cheapo theme I didnt bother with cutting/routing/rounding an inner radius for the port. I drum sanded by hand with my dremel a rough radius, then smoothed by hand with 180. The ABS is 3/16" thick. It's minimal, but better then nothing and took 10 minutes. Got the sides and back glued up on one, dont have enough braces for both
LL
LL

post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Work on these has slowed considerably, but I've managed to make some solid progress. I flush trimmed all sides, then glued up the top and bottom panels. I've read threads recently on various forums bashing PL Premium for not curing (some have made a big deal after only 12 hours). I've never had a problem with it, but during this last use I definitely experienced the claims. The difference is, I know my tube was good so I gave it time, 3 days to be exact for it to fully cure. The temp had dropped significantly, and the humidity with it, so that's what I blame this whole fiasco on. Verdict is, dont rush with PL. After that cured I decided to add some bracing, which honestly isnt even need considering the box size and 3/4" ply.

I've got the front to back brace tied into the port with a line of PL, and there's another brace under the port tying into the bottom. I have a 45 degree angle brace I'll be adding to the top. I've really got to start thinking about bracing before I glue up the sides... Definitely getting extensive with the bracing on the center channel I'm doing next.
LL
LL

post #6 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the boxes flush trimmed. I need to get some more 120 and sand these things down real good before I put a 1/2" round over on them. Hopefully I'll remember to pick up the 120 tonight.
LL

post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a chance to work on these for a few hours today.

Sanded down then ran a 1/2" round-over bit. I guess I lucked out with my baffle width, as I dont think I could have got much closer to the woofer cutout. You can see the void issue I have here as well

This is on top of one of the cabs I should have been able to prime tonight, instead I'll be spending days fixing this crap plywood.

First application of bondo for my largest void. It'll most likely take at least 3 trys to fix it up

Of course I cant say when I'll be free to work on them again

post #8 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Those voids are unfortunate. Nice work so far though.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the majority of the voids taken care of, but it seams like random areas keep breaking off. I'm going to try something new for myself, I mixed up water/wood glue and rolled a couple coats on with a paint roller. Hopefully it seeps in and seals/hardens the exterior plys. Not quite sure how it will act with the bondo'd areas? Guess I'll be the one to find out.
LL
LL

post #10 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The glue/water worked really well, even over bondo. I only did one more application of bondo after sealing, I'm starting to get anxious to finish these. I drilled all the hardware holes then set up for painting.

All I had on hand was a can of the rustoleum primer, which I hate, but I really wanted to get this going tonight. Hopefully I'll get these top coated on tuesday.
LL

post #11 of 12 Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got these top coated! After they cure I can begin installing all the internal components, and hopefully have surround sound again this weekend!

I "scuffed/buffed" the primer with soapy water and a green scotch brite pad, since I decided to spray something other then flat I wanted the surface really smooth. I went with the krylon satin nickel this time, I wanted something similar to my wall color, but not as boring as egg shell white. They look pretty good from a couple feet, up close you can see all the voids I missed on the ply wood. Best thing about DIY is it only has to be good enough for me, which is why i didnt backfill and re prime lol.
LL
LL

post #12 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LL

LL

LL

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page