pets and subs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife bought a small dog, she tells me not to play heavy bass cause it might make the animal aggressive..what do you guys do that own dogs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris View Post

My wife bought a small dog, she tells me not to play heavy bass cause it might make the animal aggressive..what do you guys do that own dogs?

I have an 8lbs. Maltese who always stays with us in the theater during a movie. The theater is very capable of rumbling you til you poop. Dog just doesn't care. All she cares about is the popcorn that falls to the floor. Other than that, she sleeps through it all.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

whiskey tango foxtrot.
post #4 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

whiskey tango foxtrot.

and?

post #5 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

and?

phonetic alphabet, figure it out

Where do people get these ridiculous ideas from?
post #6 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Big bass doesn't bother Snoop Dogs........
post #7 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

phonetic alphabet, figure it out

Where do people get these ridiculous ideas from?

Cesar Milan....

post #8 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Liked: 10
My dog is terrified of it, but he's also scared of thunderstorms, and guns. Far from violent though.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 925
dog psych...okay...i'll give it a shot.

dogs can get conditioned to have any response. they tend to follow their owners'.

if there was something bad in your wife's dog's past, such as its reaction to its former owner and how he reacted when hearing subwoofers. if the owner always got pissed and angry every time that he heard subs blasting, then the dog could easily take on this response.

the dog can be trained to like bass though. just through him a biscuit every time a low note hits. after a while, he won't be able to wait for a low note. see pavlov's work.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #10 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

dog psych...okay...i'll give it a shot.

dogs can get conditioned to have any response. they tend to follow their owners'.

if there was something bad in your wife's dog's past, such as its reaction to its former owner and how he reacted when hearing subwoofers. if the owner always got pissed and angry every time that he heard subs blasting, then the dog could easily take on this response.

the dog can be trained to like bass though. just through him a biscuit every time a low note hits. after a while, he won't be able to wait for a low note. see pavlov's work.

It's a 4 week old miniature poodle.

post #11 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
one of my dogs in very interested in watching TV but the same dogs also freaks out a little when it booms or it is loud. If it is normal level she will sit and stare at the TV. When it rumbles shes out of there. Other dog does not find interest in TV and will just go lay in the other room.

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #12 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Put a soft blanket next to your sub and play recordings of heartbeats (clips of Dark Side Of The Moon would do in a pinch, I'd think). Watch the bonding happen. Gradually increase the volume. Soon loud bass will become a comforting surrogate mommy.

disclaimer: there is little or no actual science involved here, I just thought it sounded good
post #13 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 490
If anything, I would do the opposite. Playing the louder bass now will simply condition the young dog.

When I lived out in the country we had hunting dogs that pretty much weren't scare of anything. They were used to hearing gun shots, thunderstorms, tractors, etc. and it never phased them.

Yet when my mom opened the oven, they got scared and left the room. It's because my mom once had a small oven fire and when she opened the oven door it startled her quite a bit, which must have freaked out the dogs. Ever since that happened, whenever the oven door opened (even if it wasn't on), they got noticeably worried.

One of my lady friend's younger dogs is terrified of the thunder. But the older dog isn't and never was. I was around when the older one grew up and showed no signs of worry during storms. Younger dog grew up without me there all the time and when there's strong thunder clap my lady friend would jump.....scaring the younger dog that now fears it.

Be the Alpha Dog........CRANK IT UP........and show no signs of fear!!!

Oh, and tie a bell to the back door that they can hit with their nose. Every time you take them out to do their thing, tap the bell, or hold the dog and make the dogs nose tap it. It doesn't take long at all before the dog rings that bell when it has to go out. My friends always got jealous of that! "What's that bell ringing".....Ahh, the dog just has to go to outside.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:

Sounds like a passive excuse from your wifey trying to get you to not use your subs.

As others have said, the dog will be conditioned to it if it's something common. Bass will not hurt the dog.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #15 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

At 4 weeks, this dog may not even be weaned. Earliest you should adopt a dog is 6 weeks, unless you plan on weaning. So you have to wait until...

8-12 weeks of age.

It is the 'magic time', when a dog will accept ANYTHING that is not painful as good. This is the time to play w/ your dog outside in a thunderstorm, so that it will never fear thunder, introduce it to all types of people, wearing all types of things (umbrellas, hats, etc). Surfaces (slippery, stairs, slides, etc).

Anything that is pleasant for the dog during these 4 weeks will never scare it again for the rest of its life.

This is the time to enjoy films with him/her at increasing volumes with good treats and praise. This dog will love to be your movie buddy the rest of its life.

JSS
post #16 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

At 4 weeks, this dog may not even be weaned. Earliest you should adopt a dog is 6 weeks, unless you plan on weaning. So you have to wait until...

8-12 weeks of age.

It is the 'magic time', when a dog will accept ANYTHING that is not painful as good. This is the time to play w/ your dog outside in a thunderstorm, so that it will never fear thunder, introduce it to all types of people, wearing all types of things (umbrellas, hats, etc). Surfaces (slippery, stairs, slides, etc).

Anything that is pleasant for the dog during these 4 weeks will never scare it again for the rest of its life.

This is the time to enjoy films with him/her at increasing volumes with good treats and praise. This dog will love to be your movie buddy the rest of its life.

JSS

Thanks Max,will have a talk with LOML.

post #17 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisco Z71 View Post

My dog is terrified of it, but he's also scared of thunderstorms, and guns. Far from violent though.

Not trying to jack the thread but check these out for your dog. Several family members have used them with tremendous success with multiple dogs that are terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Liked: 32
Find a new wife.
post #19 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

My friends dog nicked the tweeter in his brand new paradigm studio 100's and those things are NOT cheap:
post #20 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

My friends dog nicked the tweeter in his brand new paradigm studio 100's and those things are NOT cheap:

Hopefully your friend sold the dog, since we know they are not cheap. Speakers can be replaced.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Hopefully your friend sold the dog, since we know they are not cheap. Speakers can be replaced.

He took it quite well and actually there was no degradation of sound that was noticeable. He bought these to have them forever so he's not worried. The grill covers the dent anyways..
post #22 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One of our Labradors sleeps with his head against my 18" Mal-x, sleeps through any number of movies - Dark Knight for example

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #23 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

8-12 weeks of age.

JSS

When I saw the post saying it was only 4 weeks old, I was going to post almost exactly what you did.

It's a coincidence too as I got my new girl yesterday, a 12 week old miniature poodle. They are very intelligent and will tend to follow your lead in reacting to stimuli, but your one is very young so be a bit gentle.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

When I saw the post saying it was only 4 weeks old, I was going to post almost exactly what you did.

It's a coincidence too as I got my new girl yesterday, a 12 week old miniature poodle. They are very intelligent and will tend to follow your lead in reacting to stimuli, but your one is very young so be a bit gentle.

We are being extra gentle... I was mistaken about his age my wife says he was born December first... so he's 11 weeks old.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page