Looking for any existing MTM w/sub tower builds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in building some tower speakers and I haven't been able to find any examples of something already proven.

I'd like to build a tower with MTM that includes a 12" sub in the bottom of the cabinet (SWMTM?). The sub would be LFE only and powered by a dedicated pro-amp. I'm thinking I could go with a proven MTM design built into the cabinet that houses the sub. I'm thinking the 12" lms-r sealed would be very potent. I could possibly do 2x12s per cabinet for a little extra thump. I do have a BFD so I will be able to EQ up the low end.

Anyways, do you guys know of similar builds? I know a standalone sub is prefered due to placement options, but I only have 1 good place for a sub in my living room. Currently I have a pair of AR S40 towers and a DIY 15" round solobaric sealed in a 4 cu. ft. box and its ok, but I'm looking for a little more LFE.

Any prior projects or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 AM

Liked: 12
There is a thread on PE tech talk right now. Overnight Sensation MTM in a floorstander with low, side mounted sub. I think he was using a 6" tangband, but it might give you some ideas.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones51 View Post

I'm interested in building ...a tower with MTM that includes a 12" sub in the bottom of the cabinet (SWMTM?). ....

I don't think you'll find many projects like this as most will want the freedom of independent locations, but there are a few. Dan Neubec...(?) has done a couple; here's one.
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=blade

The question quickly becomes how big an MTM do you want? There are very well received designs available for 3" to 7" drivers, with corresponding increases in max SPL, power handling, size and cost as the drivers get bigger.

With a 12-15" sub, I'd recommend something based on a good, low-distortion 7". Tons of options, and if you like Dayton RS drivers, six options for crossovers of the same drivers in the same baffle. In fact, it's on sale with finished box for a very reasonable price... through tomorrow - sorry!
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-970

I built NatP's, a variant of the RS722 using a Jon Marsh design crossover, as part of a family of desings he did with all variants (CC, in-wall). Very happy, to the point of building a second pair. However, I find MTM's great for HT, but disappointing for stereo use, due simply to reduced room interaction intrinsic to an MTM. Multichannel is great with MTMs.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #4 of 4 Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
I'll throw a vote for the tritrix design. Very affordable. You could build the ported or sealed version and design the box big enough for an attached (but internally sealed, of course) sub. But there are many mtm options, especially in price ranges higher than the tritrix.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page