post #61 of 78 Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I am not that up to date when it comes to horns. Can anyone tell me if the Unity style horns are available to the general public DIY guys? Are there any good DIY designs using these types of horns?
You can buy the later Synergy horns from Danley, and there are some DIY efforts available, but how good they are I dunno. I do know they are very tricky to design so I bought a set of the old Lambda Unity's, the same design as used in WIlliam's speakers, here. I got to hear that system (Finale) and it was damn good, one of the two or three best systems I'd ever heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
First of all, thanks for the input and information.

I spent yesterday reading up on the Yorkville speakers. Unlike JTR, which has a “PRO” line and a “HT” line, the Yorkville speakers seem to be used for “PRO” applications. This has me wondering if their could be some drawbacks using them for HT use. My knowledge of what the main differences between the two types of speakers are is very poor, so I am not sure what to think.

Now the guy selling his speakers had been using them in a dedicated room for HT with some JTR slanted 8’s for rears and some DIY subs. He was only using an AVR to power them and told me he was pleased with the sound and performance.

Another thing I need to determine is if these speakers are okay being put on their side. I would have to have the center below the screen, so this would be must.

The price he is willing to take for them, make it almost hard not to get them and try them out. Then if I don’t like them, try to sell them on here. He just doesn’t have them setup at this time.

My church recently installed them with their latest expansion and they used a local company in East Tennessee that reps them, so it is good to know somebody handles them nearby.
post #63 of 78 Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course, selling my T12's and saving up for some 212HT's also is an option.... wink.gif
post #64 of 78 Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

the Yorkville speakers seem to be used for “PRO” applications. This has me wondering if their could be some drawbacks using them for HT use.
They don't have a furniture grade finish. Otherwise, no.
post #65 of 78 Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

They don't have a furniture grade finish. Otherwise, no.

That is no worry to me because my room is a dedicated HT and is dark. smile.gif
post #66 of 78 Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Yorkville Unitys can be modded to perform better in
a consumer home theater type setting. I am not sure what kind of mods would be necessary, though. Perhaps
some tweaking of the crossover, or maybe driver swaps as well?
post #67 of 78 Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I'm not seeing any reason to make crossover changes at this point. The cabinet could be dampened a bit better and some slight eq on the top end brings them to just about perfection for me. tongue.gif midrange is so darn smooth on these guys!

Btw the woofs are a stout 18 sounds model and the CD is a bms 4550. I don't know why any component swaps would be needed - this would further complicate a crossover redesign as well. Ive got a feeling many suggesting such tweaks have never heard them in the first place.

Btw I also have the up215 processing box / external crossover for them. I will be trying this out when I return home next weekend .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #68 of 78 Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
"Btw I also have the up215 processing box / external crossover for them. I will be trying this out when I return home next weekend ."

iirc, that is what marty is recalling not the passive crossover. i don't recall the thread, but it seemed like the active crossover left something to be desired.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #69 of 78 Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

You can buy the later Synergy horns from Danley, and there are some DIY efforts available, but how good they are I dunno. I do know they are very tricky to design so I bought a set of the old Lambda Unity's, the same design as used in WIlliam's speakers, here. I got to hear that system (Finale) and it was damn good, one of the two or three best systems I'd ever heard.

Are the Synergy horns available as a separate horn from Tom Danley without having to buy the entire speaker? Are they very expensive?
post #70 of 78 Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Are the Synergy horns available as a separate horn from Tom Danley without having to buy the entire speaker? Are they very expensive?

The Unity Horn is the entire speaker. If you are talking about buying the horn without the drivers, then no it is not available that way. Besides, by the time you bought the drivers, you would have more money in it and if the drivers Tom uses has any customization, then the drivers you purchase would not fit right with the crossover.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #71 of 78 Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The Unity Horn is the entire speaker. If you are talking about buying the horn without the drivers, then no it is not available that way. Besides, by the time you bought the drivers, you would have more money in it and if the drivers Tom uses has any customization, then the drivers you purchase would not fit right with the crossover.

So are there any companies that sell Unity horns? I have read about some other companies that have produced them in the past, but aparently they have gone out of business.
Who said that I would use the same drivers that Tom uses? I figure that if I wanted to use the same drivers as Tom, then I would have just purchased his completed speakers.
What I would like to do, is find a single Unity horn that I can experiment with different drivers and various crossover settings either actively or passively. Are there any Unity horns
available to us DIY'ers?
post #72 of 78 Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Unity horns are what Yorkville sells designed by Danley. Synergy horns are the newer designed product from Danley. The unity horn contains the CD and mid drivers where the Synergy horn is a complete speaker all housed in the horn. You can buy a Yorkville unity horn but it comes with drivers.
post #73 of 78 Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully I will get to demo these in the next few days. The used ones I am getting are in my customer's storage unit, but I saw them today. They are quite large, but I think I can "squeeze" them into my room wink.gif
post #74 of 78 Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Unity horns are what Yorkville sells designed by Danley. Synergy horns are the newer designed product from Danley. The unity horn contains the CD and mid drivers where the Synergy horn is a complete speaker all housed in the horn. You can buy a Yorkville unity horn but it comes with drivers.

Are the Yorkville Unity horns available with just the horn and CD's without having to buy the entire speaker? How do you guys
think the newer Synergy horns compare, performance wise, to the Unity design? I am sure that there are a wide range of possibilities
with regards to that answer. LoL.

I have seen some Synergy designs using what appears to be very large "wings" with the CD's and the woofers stuffed inside. I wonder
how those would compare for home theater use?
post #75 of 78 Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
From what I have understood,

The synergy horns do not get you much extra for your money in a home environment because it is acting more like a bandpass when you get down bellow the midrange. So it may not be worth the cost and effort....

there used to be some Lambda Unity Horns that you could possibly find used but for the most part I have seen DIY attempts and build them.

I also read on DIYaudio.com that a properly designed Unity will get your down to 220hz in the horn which is really all you need as below that your have the Schroeder frequency of your room.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #76 of 78 Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

To be clear, Tom didn't design the Yorkville U15/215 speakers. They license and utilize his patent in their design. He gave some input, but the final speaker was designed by a rather talented designer at Yorkville. The Synergy patent is an improvement over the original Unity design, both of which are scalable from 2 way to any number of drivers. Neither are limited to just HF/mids nor all speakers in the horn. The TD-1 was a 3 way Unity design with the 12" woofers also loading into the horn through specifically placed holes.

How low the horn goes depends entirely on the size/shape of the horn, the location of the drivers and the driver parameters.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #77 of 78 Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

To be clear, Tom didn't design the Yorkville U15/215 speakers. They license and utilize his patent in their design. He gave some input, but the final speaker was designed by a rather talented designer at Yorkville. The Synergy patent is an improvement over the original Unity design, both of which are scalable from 2 way to any number of drivers. Neither are limited to just HF/mids nor all speakers in the horn. The TD-1 was a 3 way Unity design with the 12" woofers also loading into the horn through specifically placed holes.

How low the horn goes depends entirely on the size/shape of the horn, the location of the drivers and the driver parameters.

Thanks Mark, I knew he had a hand in it but to me this just tells me the synergy horns are worth it over the Yorkville. They advertise designed by Tom Danley after all.
post #78 of 78 Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Hey Coach mind sharing how much your picking up the used Yorks for?biggrin.gif

If not I understand. No biggie.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version