DIY or ID? My brain hurts... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I decided to wait and see what eric has to offer. I don't want to buy something now then regret it when eric comes out with something awesome as I know he will. Thanks to all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you're going to pick up a flat pack this is what you should need assemble them:

- 3/4" pipe clamps from harbor freight ($9)
- various lengths of 3/4" (black) pipe from HD/Lowes
- Kreg pocket hole system (~$40 for the R3 on Amazon)
- PL premium ($5)
- box of 1 1/4" pocket hole screws ($15 for 500 on Amazon)
- box of polyfill from Joann Fabrics (~$10 if you use 40% off coupon)

The reason for the Kreg is that you can use fewer clamps for assembly and the screws and holes will be internal, which means you don't have to fill the holes for finishing.

Now if you change your mind and want to go the DIY route then do as Jay1 suggest and grab those tools in addition to the list above. Also you can have HD/Lowes cut your sheets down to size, although I would suggest leaving at least a 1/4" of waste between panels because their panel saw and/or operator tend not to be exact. Alternative is use a circular saw, straight edge with c-clamps to cut to size. A router with a flush cut and round over bit will come in handy too. One more thing to consider is checking your local Craigslist for used tools, which you can use for your projects and then turn around sell once done.
post #33 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I decided to wait and see what eric has to offer. I don't want to buy something now then regret it when eric comes out with something awesome as I know he will. Thanks to all!

Very wise choice.

I built a pair of his Anarchy flat packs and they are very high quality. Even though I already have all the tools I will order more flat packs from Erich as it is a lot more convenient. I might be able to sell off half my tools and regain some of my garage back at this rate

The dados really make the flat packs easy to put together and so precise, too difficult and time consuming to do that at home.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #34 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

If you're going to pick up a flat pack this is what you should need assemble them:

- 3/4" pipe clamps from harbor freight ($9)
- various lengths of 3/4" (black) pipe from HD/Lowes
- Kreg pocket hole system (~$40 for the R3 on Amazon)
- PL premium ($5)
- box of 1 1/4" pocket hole screws ($15 for 500 on Amazon)
- box of polyfill from Joann Fabrics (~$10 if you use 40% off coupon)

Pretty sure all I need is tape and glue to assemble them! I think I'll skip the screws, the enclosure will have rabbit joints so clamps would be fine for me.

This looks pretty cool and would probably be cheaper then buying pipe clamps
http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-VAS23-V...1239334&sr=1-1

or if this ever comes back in stock
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...amp-66220.html

How much PL Premium is needed for 4 enclosures? Polyfill or R13 insulation? Any difference?

post #35 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Its kinda like deciding to exersize and eat right, its a lifestyle change.....

Buy ur tools and dont look back.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #36 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Pretty sure all I need is tape and glue to assemble them! I think I'll skip the screws, the enclosure will have rabbit joints so clamps would be fine for me.

This looks pretty cool and would probably be cheaper then buying pipe clamps
http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-VAS23-V...1239334&sr=1-1

or if this ever comes back in stock
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...amp-66220.html

How much PL Premium is needed for 4 enclosures? Polyfill or R13 insulation? Any difference?

I've got a bunch of those harbor freight band-clamps... got a good amount of use out of them but i don't think you can apply as much pressure as with a good pipe clamp.

Not sure if i'm buying my pipes from the wrong places (home depot and lowes) but the black pipe was more expensive than the pipe-clamps themselves.

I'm a fan of harbor freight, but their clamps are a mixed bag:

-Those band/strap clamps have been fine for me
-Their pipe clamps are so-so.. i have 4 of them... they have no feet and i snapped one of them when tightening it - but i was using a strap wrench to tighten it, so i guess i was asking for trouble.
-Their quick-draw hand squeeze clamps can only be used for holding things in place, not applying much pressure. they don't hold well and i had one of them explode
-I bought several of their alluminum bar clamps but returned them all after two of them cracked when tightening.

I really like the bessey H-shaped pipe clamps.... the little feet are helpful and the turning action is very smooth:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_202607-52800...3D1&facetInfo=

If you're building sealed(i can't remember) i think you can buy some discount pillows to stuff your enclosure. Someone will probably chime in.

post #37 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Those Bessey pipe clamps are what I have, they can apply a lot of pressure easily and with a 48" pipe they're a great value. I only got 2 to try out, I need more!

I got queen sized poly fill pillows at target for $4ea (might be better deals at walmart). 1.5 pillows completely stuffed a 2.8ft3 box. It's exactly the same as the poly you buy in a bag.

post #38 of 50 Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wal-mart has the pillows for about $2.50 each, my subs sleep like babies

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #39 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I will make my own clamps...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16871262

post #40 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 AM

The reason I suggested using screws is so you don't have to buy/build several clamps, they apply the clamping pressure while the glue dries.
post #41 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 10
I know you already decided. But I would DIY. Why?

Because I won't be saying "Man.. Wonder what it would have been like if I would have built those quad subs like I wanted..?"

Is why I'm planning to DIY quad subs. I'll get exactly what I want for less then it'd cost me to buy and have them shipped.

You'd be suprised how much just friends and family are willing to help once they know you need some tool help. Not to mention as said you can do a sub build with basic tools that you could even borrow from someone. Possibly even a neighbor. Spec4 is also right on the tools on Craigslist, and such. Tools usually are sold on craigslist and at pawn shops for cheap. Pillow stuffing same deal. Always more than one way to skin a cat to keep costs down.

BTW, even with you HTIB you are on the right track. Subs play a more important part in HT then some will admit. You'd have a rock solid foundation for a killer theater.
post #42 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I suggested using screws is so you don't have to buy/build several clamps, they apply the clamping pressure while the glue dries.

Will the pocket screws work alright on rabbet joints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post

I know you already decided. But I would DIY. Why?

Because I won't be saying "Man.. Wonder what it would have been like if I would have built those quad subs like I wanted..?"

Is why I'm planning to DIY quad subs. I'll get exactly what I want for less then it'd cost me to buy and have them shipped.

I am building quad subs like I wanted but buying them pre-cut I'm a perfectionist so I don't like to half-ass anything which is why in my list I have some many "unneeded" tools.

post #43 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

its the damage control i hate, but i use screws too

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #44 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, he suggested a pocket hole jig so theres no need to fill screw holes.

post #45 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

Actually, he suggested a pocket hole jig so theres no need to fill screw holes.

You might struggle a bit getting all six sides, and braces screwed up with a pocket jig. Something like this might be needed

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Flexible...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

post #46 of 50 Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Liked: 14
I built my F20 using pocket screws and it worked amazingly well. I screwed all but the last side using them and just screwed the side that goes to the wall from the outside. All but about 5 screws countersunk on their own and I filled them. Since that side went to the wall I didn't worry about the ones left showing. The pocket screw jig is worth it's weight in gold.
post #47 of 50 Old 03-11-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Will the pocket screws work alright on rabbet joints?

That I don't know, I've only tried with butt joints.

Usually a sub box is a big square so it's much easier to get a power drill inside using the driver cutout on the baffle. Looking at kgveteran's boxes it might be a little tight in that situation and then maybe do as ovrrdrive did and attach the bottom or least seen side last? Also IMO bracing should be fine with just a liberal amount of wood glue.
post #48 of 50 Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How about split the difference and go for the ED DIY Kit? It comes pre cut and all you need to do is assemble it. doubtful you would need more than one.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=849

Tim
post #49 of 50 Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're right, I probably would only need one of those kits. I will be happy with anything really, compared to what I use now.
I've been saving some money to upgrade my speakers and about half of my budget is set aside for the subwoofers only I really want to be BLOWN away and not only satisfied, if you know what I mean.

post #50 of 50 Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

You're right, I probably would only need one of those kits. I will be happy with anything really, compared to what I use now.
I've been saving some money to upgrade my speakers and about half of my budget is set aside for the subwoofers only I really want to be BLOWN away and not only satisfied, if you know what I mean.

You have the right idea. Far too many people neglect the bottom end. I've seen so many setups with crazy expensive main speakers, and subwoofers that cost half the amount, if that. Bass is the foundation of your system... would you skimp on the foundation of your house?

Subwoofers are one area where DIY is a viable option that will not only save you money, but give you better performance than almost anything you can buy.

I'm putting two Infinite Baffle manifold subwoofers in my room right now.
When finished, I know that NO OTHER SUBWOOFERS, at ANY PRICE, will do a better job in my room. For less than $2000, I will have reached sub-bass Nirvana. Only DIY is allowing me to do that. DIY rocks.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page