Dual opposed cabinet(s), 15" driver questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm getting a pair of dual opposed cabs made locally, net volume ~5.25cf. I would have gone dual 18's but am restricted in width to 18" max, as these are going to be used as tables beside my seating. An inch wider and these can't happen.

I have modeled many drivers, but being in Canada I am somewhat limited to driver selection. I have no issues ordering from Parts express, and have done so in the past. From what I have found, that gives me the dayton's, LMS, and Mach 5's as top contenders.

As much as I want to just get 4 x LMS-r's and be done with it, the 'fun budget' will run out after buying 2. I have (seriously) thought about getting 2 now, and wait for 2 more, but am not sure when that may be. I also don't really care for the gobs of power I'll need - was hoping for a single ep4000, inuke, or similar amp to provide power for all 4 drivers. I'm guessing a fp14000 clone would be needed for adequate headroom with these.

That said, I can do 4 dayton titanic mkIII's or 4 Mach 5 IXL 15.2.2 within the existing budget. Completely finishing this project in one go with a single amp is quite enticing.

Using a single ep4000, wiring both cabs together to create a single 4ohm load, I think the titanic option seems best in winisd. They should just nudge 20mm xmax at less than 5hz with ~500w/driver in 5.25cf shared.

Am I making a mistake with the dayton titanic? I don't see many builds with this driver when searching.

*I should note that I currently have a pair of sealed LMS 5400 Ultra's and a BFD for eq, so I am not depending solely on these cabs for bass. My wife told me to take care of some side tables, so I figured why waste the space with silly furniture when I can add some headroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, now I've swung back around to getting a pair of LMS-R's for the time being, and another when funds permit.

A local place has the inuke NU6000 for about the same cost as the ep4000, so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get one of those per box, so I can run 4ohm x 2 from each cabinet, with each driver essentially getting a bridged NU3000 to itself.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 808
that sounds like the right choice. in model, 6kw sends the driver a little over xmax, so you might want to use the limiter in the dsp as a last bit of protection.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Fedex just dropped off a pair of LMS-r 15's for me
Checked them out and they look good, bolts thread nicely into the motors, no dings, scratches or other blemishes. I had been slightly nervous with reading about some issues with TC's quality control, but all seems well so far.

The 15's are much, much more forgiving to move around compared to the LMS 5400 Ultras. Even at this point, with nothing more than some bare drivers, I am happy I went with these. They look like my ultra's little brothers.

Picking up the boxes tonight, hope to have them painted by the time I pick up my amp tomorrow. I'll throw in some pics once things are getting close to assembled, including some side by sides with the ultras.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Completed first "table", although I had no time to get an amp. I got curious and dug out a pair of QSC GX3's (rated at 2x400w into 4ohm, or 1x500w - no idea if they actually put out that much though...) and hooked each up, one per driver.

Let me say it's amazing how much output can be had from so little power. It really starts to become apparent that huge amps are more for headroom than anything. Don't get me wrong, safe headroom is the ultimate goal, but I have my system calibrated at 3db hot, and have not seen clip lights on the QSC's yet. I'm excited to get a more potent amp, let alone finish the second 'table'.

Pictures will be up in a few days, if anyone is interested.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 808
with several hundred views on your thread already, of course folks are interested.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where'd you go cubalis? We want pictures!

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page