When they say almost 100lbs, they mean it. And especially when you have the adventure I just took on.
So just to make sure the thing works properly, I hooked it up freeair and ran some test tones:
At this point I disassembled the driver. It comes in 2 parts. The SPAIR(soft parts) and BAM(Basket and Magnet)
I set the BAM in for the first of probably 6 or 8 times and, oh noes:
It isn't the adapter ring that is creating the issue:
I reached an impasse, I thought about this for a solid 10 minutes and decided since it was a prototype cabinet screw it. I can always make another round adapter plate. This part pains me quite a bit, but it needed to happen:
In goes the BAM, finally fits:
Since I wasn't able to use the corner mounting holes, I sealed them with a bit of gaff tape on the underside of the basket:
SPAIR loaded and ready to try out!
I had a small issue when I turned it on for the first time. At low volumes I had a nasty rub, turn it up and it went away. Off comes the SPAIR again and I found that there is a bit of play between the SPAIR and BAM. A gentle push on the cone will indicate if everything is aligned properly. If not, tweak it a touch and try again. When hooking it back up, I dropped the jumper wire to series the voice coils all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure, no way to reach that one:
To the rescue, a paint stick and duct tape:
Rewire the SPAIR and set it back in:
Now, she is ready. No more rub:
The pair of stacks finally operational and ready for Sunday:
It was late when I finished for the day so no large signal testing, and I was unable to measure anything today, but I did manage to get everything ready to go for Sunday, load em up and go.