post #31 of 60 Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

The one in the picture is a down-firing port. There is a gap between the bottom of the speaker, and the top of the base for the port to breathe. Perhaps it's hard to tell since it's all painted black.

Ah - Great, thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean now. Difficult to see with the black-on-black and it's a bit smaller opening that i was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those interested, I believe freight shipping is going to cost around $500 for a pair of Statement speakers. If it can be shipped to a commercial address with a dock, the cost should be less.

Thanks!
post #33 of 60 Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The one in the picture is a down-firing port. There is a gap between the bottom of the speaker, and the top of the base for the port to breathe. Perhaps it's hard to tell since it's all painted black.

Nope, There isn't. It relies on the large holes cut in all 4 layers of the base plus the space created by the spikes for venting. I omitted the two top layers and improvised tubular risers.

The port can be moved to the rear with no issues I believe. Possibly the front as well.

Also, Greyhound will ship large stuff on the cheap but I couldn't comment on "service quality", so to speak. They would have to be dropped off and picked up at a terminal.
post #34 of 60 Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey John, thanks for the clarification. That's how I got mixed up since yours use risers. Does your base still have a 9" cutout with 5" path to the rear like Jim's?
post #35 of 60 Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Hey John, thanks for the clarification. That's how I got mixed up since yours use risers. Does your base still have a 9" cutout with 5" path to the rear like Jim's?

No as I didn't need to. Well, I still have the 9" holes in what would be the lower 2 layers of the "standard" base, just not a cut out in the rear. I hadn't realized Jim had cut the back of the base out (I imagine a "U" shape looking down from the top). I must have missed when he said he did that. It doesn't show it on the plans so I never considered it.
post #36 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shame302 View Post

Also, Greyhound will ship large stuff on the cheap but I couldn't comment on "service quality", so to speak. They would have to be dropped off and picked up at a terminal.

Do you happen to know the weight of the Statements without the drivers? I know I read 120lbs. before but I'm assuming that's a finished Statement.

Greyhound can do up to 100lbs. per piece.
post #37 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 AM

I do not but probably very close to 100 even.
post #38 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Seems like every time i get ambitious about starting a Statements build, i discover that one or more of the components is backordered

I think both the mids and the tweeter are currently out of stock. Do these drivers always fly off the shelf or am i just hitting an unlucky streak? Are there alternatives to PE and Madisound for the parts? ebay i guess... ?
post #39 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpolyjoe View Post

Seems like every time i get ambitious about starting a Statements build, i discover that one or more of the components is backordered

I think both the mids and the tweeter are currently out of stock. Do these drivers always fly off the shelf or am i just hitting an unlucky streak? Are there alternatives to PE and Madisound for the parts? ebay i guess... ?

I lucked out when I did mine a few years ago and didn't have to wait long. Even then it was difficult to get everything at the same time. All I can say is, order what's available when you can until you have it all. I can promise it's very much worth the wait.
post #40 of 60 Old 03-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shame302 View Post

I lucked out when I did mine a few years ago and didn't have to wait long. Even then it was difficult to get everything at the same time. All I can say is, order what's available when you can until you have it all. I can promise it's very much worth the wait.

yeah, i was starting to think it would come to that.... just order what i can, when i can. i suppose i can build the cabinets without the drivers if i really wanted. gunbunnysoulja - does your buddy have a set of drivers for test fitting or is he just building to specs?

i just got a TriTrix kit, so i'll probably play with that and perhaps begin assembling my Statements components on the side.
post #41 of 60 Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
"For those interested, I believe freight shipping is going to cost around $500 for a pair of Statement speakers."

you might try building them out of baltic birch or appleply, 5/8". then find a tight fitting box-in-box with styrofoam in between and then ship non-freight.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #42 of 60 Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion. We are doing the first pair now (which will be available for sale) and if the weight is under 100lbs for each speaker it will be much cheaper as we can ship via greyhound.

Will post pics when done!
post #43 of 60 Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
"We are doing the first pair now (which will be available for sale) and if the weight is under 100lbs for each speaker it will be much cheaper as we can ship via greyhound."

you might want to take another look at fedex/ups ground service. i just guesstimated some numbers and fedex ground was actually less expensive and that is without the discount that you can get with a business account.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #44 of 60 Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Where are you getting your freight quotes from? Im pretty sure 200lbs shouldnt cost $500..
post #45 of 60 Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't check regular ground service as I assumed it would need to be freight due to weight/size. I guesstimated 120lbs each (240 total) with the exact dimensions with a freight class of 70 (was told might have to do class 100) and my best rate was $560. With that said, I believe it was for FL to MA as a generic example. The cheaper the better for everyone so I will check more options tomorrow.
post #46 of 60 Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"We are doing the first pair now (which will be available for sale) and if the weight is under 100lbs for each speaker it will be much cheaper as we can ship via greyhound."

you might want to take another look at fedex/ups ground service. i just guesstimated some numbers and fedex ground was actually less expensive and that is without the discount that you can get with a business account.

Hmm with the same weight, size and distance that I put in before for freight examples, both Fed Ex and UPS ground is coming in significantly higher than what I quoted before.

It will likely cost less than what I quoted as every shipment won't be cross country. And if it comes out to 100lbs. or less for each speaker, the max price for the pair should be around $250. The cost of shipping will be whatever the cheapest actual costs are, either freight, ground, or greyhound. With that said, we do want to ensure a safe transport.
post #47 of 60 Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Where are you getting your freight quotes from? Im pretty sure 200lbs shouldnt cost $500..

I tried every carrier I could find, including UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, United Van Lines, Greyhound, R+L, YRC, Estes, Old Dominion, and Con-Way.

Freight class, size, weight, distance, and residential/business drop-off all play a factor.
post #48 of 60 Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I tried every carrier I could find, including UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, United Van Lines, Greyhound, R+L, YRC, Estes, Old Dominion, and Con-Way.

Freight class, size, weight, distance, and residential/business drop-off all play a factor.

Im pretty sure most speaker companies ship it to a warehouse for about $200-$250. OPTIONALLY it is left up to the customer to pay $100-$150 for a secondary company to take it from the warehouse and deliver it to your home. Those companies suck and are extremely slow at getting stuff out. Its a lot easier to rent a uhaul for $20 and just have friends help you pack whatever size box into it.
post #49 of 60 Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Offer door to door delivery!
post #50 of 60 Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjga View Post

Anyone know of such a builder in the So. Cal area?

I'm interested as well.
post #51 of 60 Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Doesn't get easier than this people. Sub out your cabinets and rock on with this kit.

http://meniscusaudio.com/statements-pr-p-1338.html
post #52 of 60 Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM

Liked: 12
Which designs are you going to be doing ?
post #53 of 60 Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 13
Is this thread dead?? I was following with some interest.wink.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
post #54 of 60 Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 PM

I'm curious also. How do designers feel about people building their speakers for sale?
post #55 of 60 Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Any good car audio shop should be able to build you the cabinets . It should be a piece of cake for them.
post #56 of 60 Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Well what I mean is this. Say I built a pair of stentorians, with the intention to sell them for a little profit. Me, building them in my basement. Not start up a company to have them mass produced. What is the stance on that? I'm just curious really.
post #57 of 60 Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoobutter View Post

Well what I mean is this. Say I built a pair of stentorians, with the intention to sell them for a little profit. Me, building them in my basement. Not start up a company to have them mass produced. What is the stance on that? I'm just curious really.
There shouldn't be any problem with that. You can sell things you own for whatever price you want. It would be like buying speakers on sale and then selling them for a profit... except you make them.
post #58 of 60 Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoobutter View Post

As Curt and many others openly share many of their designs, I don't see the harm in selling for a small profit after using them for a while as I am sure many DIY'ers do this (I have sold the drivers and assembled crossovers for a few designs, but usually at "break even" money in order to fund the next build). In the case of building someone's design for the sole purpose of resale however, I would be inclined to ask for their consent and would then send the designer a "thank you" check...not that this is what they may be looking for, but just how I would personally handle it.

post #59 of 60 Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 167

IMO thats why speaker companies use proprietary drivers, so you can't clone them and make them yourself,  well that and so you won't see how inexpensive the components cost the the enormous markup.  rolleyes.gif

post #60 of 60 Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the responses, and I agree about companies not wanting us to see their low quality hardware. I just saw this thread get revived, and it made me curious.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page