IXL 18.2.2 Have two of them - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have had these for about 2 years now. Used them in a sealed config that at the time I didn't really know what I was doing. Box was too big and I didn't have rew or any type of eq. I would like to use them and have inquired on two other boards about using them in 4 cu ft boxes, sealed of course. Don't want anything bigger than that. Ported would be much to big for the space that I will use them in.

But I was told that I wouldn't have any low end at all with that size. Isn't this the recommended size for sealed for those drivers? Is this a waste of time to follow thru? I am also open to what to use to power them with, if I get some advice on the low end-size restraints.

I have seen numerous builds of late around 4 cu ft sealed, and I understand that the 18.2.2 may not be comparable to what others are using, I am lost understanding this.

thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
4cu ft sealed models fine for this driver. I would wire the drivers so you get 2ohms. Use the EP2500 which should output 800w per channel.

Attachment 241346
Attachment 241347

Sealed subs gradually roll off where ported get a boost at the tuning frequency but ported have a steep roll off past tuning. Also, ported enclosures tend to be bigger than sealed. Here is an example comparing ported and sealed for this driver using the same power (800w). Ported has a 20hz highpass to protect the driver from over excursion.

Attachment 241349
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply and info. I did have a EP2500 and wish to go another route if possible. Noise, weight, and those damn switches drove me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

4cu ft sealed models fine for this driver. I would wire the drivers so you get 2ohms. Use the EP2500 which should output 800w per channel.

Attachment 241346
Attachment 241347

Sealed subs gradually roll off where ported get a boost at the tuning frequency but ported have a steep roll off past tuning. Also, ported enclosures tend to be bigger than sealed. Here is an example comparing ported and sealed for this driver using the same power (800w).

Attachment 241349

post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can anyone recommend an amp for the above build? I wish to have rca inputs, don't want to deal with xlr adapters and also don't want to use Reckhorn or a S Convert like I had to in my last build. Don't need dsp. Wish to keep it under $500. Thanks.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page