Help regarding speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought new speakers, speaker wire and banana plugs. I was using wire strippers to cut the wire. I was tearing the clear jacket off with the strippers, not realizing I could just pull it off with my fingers after i cut the jacket lol (found this out testing on spare wire I had when the job was done). As I was tearing off the clear jacket I was bringing copper strands along with it, and fraying some of the remaining. I am considering going back to re do it, but it is a bit off a hassle to get to the back of the receiver. I am getting sound out of all the speakers. I guess my question is I don't know if having more strands would make any improvement in sound quality, or is it an if it works, it works scenario? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1385 View Post

I guess my question is I don't know if having more strands would make any improvement in sound quality

Unless you tore out at least 1/3 of the strands it won't make any difference. Maybe not even then.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't think I took out that much, but even if there was one strand left, if sound is coming out, is it lacking in sound quality, or is it either it works or it doesn't?
post #4 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:

Yeah, I don't think I took out that much, but even if there was one strand left, if sound is coming out, is it lacking in sound quality, or is it either it works or it doesn't?

if you were to take half the copper out of the wire over a length of 20 feet, you might have a problem. Right up against the component, for a total length of what? an inch max that you stripped away? NO issue at all. the rest of the cable is intact therefore transmitting the voltage as it should. if you were using 28gauge wire, might be a problem, but anything from even 18and down, youll be just fine (lower the number, larger the wire).

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #5 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
No need to cross post... AVS gets plenty of traffic on most of its subforums. See your other thread for more advice/answers.

post #6 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

No need to cross post... AVS gets plenty of traffic on most of its subforums. See your other thread for more advice/answers.

I only cross post because on my other post I was getting advice on how to strip wire even though I had already mentioned I had figured out how to strip the wire. The issue I had wasn't being addressed so I decided to start fresh
post #7 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

if you were to take half the copper out of the wire over a length of 20 feet, you might have a problem. Right up against the component, for a total length of what? an inch max that you stripped away? NO issue at all. the rest of the cable is intact therefore transmitting the voltage as it should. if you were using 28gauge wire, might be a problem, but anything from even 18and down, youll be just fine (lower the number, larger the wire).

Yeah, I am using a 14 gauge wire and my longest run is about 35 feet (rear speakers). If the proper voltage isn't being carried, what is the result of that? Equipment shutting down? Sound all plays fine, no issues with equipment turning off....things sound good, but I just hope I'm not losing audio quality because of a less than stellar wire stripping job.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Im telling you, dont worry about it, I lose a copper thread or two most of the time, and ive wired not only speakers for 15 years but thousands of landscape lights using braided wire as well. a LOSE contact between parts of the chain (wire to banana plug, banana to speaker, etc.) is where issues will arise, not from a miniscule drop in amount of copper right at the connection.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #9 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i could not sleep at night until i re-stripped the wire without cutting any of the copper....i have a disease. I also have lost of useless speaker wire that is too short to use any longer

Tim
post #10 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

i could not sleep at night until i re-stripped the wire without cutting any of the copper....i have a disease. I also have lost of useless speaker wire that is too short to use any longer

LMAO, welcome to my life :P.....everything sounds good, but knowing there is imperfection behind the scenes makes me a little mental .....if it was either a case of you get sound or you don't, I could maybe live with it, but knowing sound quality might be suffering is drawing me closer and closer to those wire strippers :P.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

LMAO, welcome to my life :P.....everything sounds good, but knowing there is imperfection behind the scenes makes me a little mental .....if it was either a case of you get sound or you don't, I could maybe live with it, but knowing sound quality might be suffering is drawing me closer and closer to those wire strippers :P.

we both know that you can't possibly hear a difference...but the sickness is calling....

But next time you have the strippers out...strip the wire down to about 3 or 4 threads and connect it...i bet even then you wont notice any loss of SQ.

Tim
post #12 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

we both know that you can't possibly hear a difference...but the sickness is calling....

But next time you have the strippers out...strip the wire down to about 3 or 4 threads and connect it...i bet even then you wont notice any loss of SQ.

lol, I know. I'll end up re-stripping the wire and everything will sound exactly the same, but I'll feel better :P. I didn't know if there was any sort of well known fact that stripped copper leads to lessened quality....if there was, it would be easier to justify the re-stripping, knowing I am probably going to re-strip it anyway.....such is the sickness
post #13 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM

I can guarantee there is no sound quality loss. A significant ammount of stripped strands would be equivalent to using a smaller gauge wire for that 1/4" section. There is more resistive loss in the connections between the wires and the equipment than caused by stripping a few mesely strands. Besides, they still contribute to the wire, just not at the connection.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The bigger problem is if one of those loose strands finds it's way onto some circuit board.

Poof!

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #15 of 24 Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 434
If we are only talking about the tips of a 35foot run, I would say "don't worry about it".

The least that could happen is a small voltage drop causing a small SPL drop that could easily be compensated with +X db gain on that channel, highly unlikely, just resplice the tips if it bugs you.

Assuming you have an amplifier capable of melting wire, the worst that could happen is that the tips would melt off and catch on fire if you pump a million volt-amps through it... I'm thinking your tweeters/woofers would melt long before that occured.

You're good-to-go man.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:

Bold above, you should "un-know" this because it is not true, but I understand your sickness. Ive just stripped too many wires in my life to care anymore, especially knowing it makes absolutely no difference.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #17 of 24 Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

I only cross post because on my other post I was getting advice on how to strip wire even though I had already mentioned I had figured out how to strip the wire. The issue I had wasn't being addressed so I decided to start fresh

The first two posts in that thread directly answered your question with the same advice given here.

No harm - just a friendly reminder.

post #18 of 24 Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just soldered up a crossover yesterday and noticed that about 4 strands of my probably 40 strand 16 gauge wire got pushed out of the way and didn't participate in the solder connection. It really set off some sort of OCD reaction in me. I guess I just need to chill out. 16 gauge wire is needed to jumper my crossover to the binding posts- since those 5" are so vital.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Liked: 14
The question that crosses my mind is if someone is so worried about loss in the connection. Why add more connections by using banana plugs? Simply using just the binding posts would eliminate two additional connections. Personaly I never use bananas unless it is a connection that will need to taken apart on a regular basis.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

The question that crosses my mind is if someone is so worried about loss in the connection. Why add more connections by using banana plugs? Simply using just the binding posts would eliminate two additional connections. Personaly I never use bananas unless it is a connection that will need to taken apart on a regular basis.

Thats exactly what I was about to ask. Will the SQ be better without using banana plugs. I bought a crap load of them since they are much easier to use on the back of AVRs but they are still sitting in the packages they came in?
post #21 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Thats exactly what I was about to ask. Will the SQ be better without using banana plugs. I bought a crap load of them since they are much easier to use on the back of AVRs but they are still sitting in the packages they came in?

No, it won't make a difference. The point is that worrying about a couple of wire strands is dumb when you have this whole chain of connections you aren't even thinking about. For good reason too, it doesn't really matter.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushi View Post

No, it won't make a difference. The point is that worrying about a couple of wire strands is dumb when you have this whole chain of connections you aren't even thinking about. For good reason too, it doesn't really matter.

Regardless, I like to minimize connections that could "potentially" have issues, I do direct connections anytime I have a chance. Even the higher priced nanner plugs will loosen up after pulling them in and out of a component or speaker a couple times (but then again, the most expensive one I have ever bought was the cheapo monoprice dealies)

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #23 of 24 Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

oh no... you guys are all wrong!! Even the loss of just one less than a hairs thickness will drasticly change the sound! Just ask any of the guys that will only spend a minimum of $2000+ per cable over on the $20,000.00+ forum!!
post #24 of 24 Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Will the SQ be better without using banana plugs.

Probably not, assuming the wire is well attached and they are tight in the socket. But it won't be any better with them either, and a 50 dollar plug doesn't work any better than a 50 cent plug, no matter why the shysters selling them or the overpriced wire they may be attached to may say.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page