Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Guys!
I am looking at using Mach 5 audio IXL15.2.2 driver in sealed cab for 2600cu.ft.dedicated room. Looking for a sub that can go down to 20hz with decent output. Any recommendations on volume of the cabinet? I am looking at other 15" drivers but Mach 5 audio driver seems to be one of the best value for what I am looking for. Are there any other 15" drivers I should look at? I have looked at TC sounds but they can get quite expensive.

Vinod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Haven't checked the price differences lately but you should have a look at the dayton HF drivers. Last I saw they were under $200 and have very low distortion. Nicely built driver. I'm thinking they like larger boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
A Titanic 15 with the Oaudio 500w looks pretty good in 4ft3 (22" cube with bracing) with the 25hz filter/boost.
LL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Also check the JBL GTI MKII 15" driver. Ebay has them for under $300. It's an excellent driver even though it does not have a lot of displacement, 20mm of xmax, but your room is not that big. What this driver has is very low distortion and excellent SQ, along with good output. Around 800W to power it and a box of 3-4cf should do it.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am hoping to keep the sealed cabinet volume around 3-4cu.ft. so that it doesn't look too odd in the room. Looking for a driver that can do good output at 20hz in this cabinet.

Vinod
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How would Dayton Titanic MK3 do in a 3-4cu.ft. sealed box? Would it have sufficient output at 20hz? I am planning to drive the sub with Crown XLS1000 amp which can do 1100 watts in 4ohm bridged mode.

Vinod
post #7 of 7 Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I've not heard the titanic, but I have heard from others that have heard it that it sounds pretty one note-ish. It does do well in a smaller cab though.

To get low with authority you will need either a lot of drivers or a bigger box...or both. Unless you use some eq to boost down to 20 hz it won't be a very flat response. And if you do use eq you're going to run into distortion.

A way around this is to go a bit bigger with the box and go ported instead of sealed.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page