New Subs for me (2x ~3cuft) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well i moved into my new house back in August. been using a Tempest-X in ~5cuFT enclosure and its done just fine. But its also very directional (sits to the right of the couch and can definitely tell the "bass" is coming from there.

So the builder in me has me wanting to build new boxes and use two subs and have them be up front next to the tv. Basically in a configuration like the picture. The center portion is where the tv stand would go with all the "equipment" as well.

pardon the sketchup...not my strong suit but should give you an idea. As you can tel the boxes for the subs would be a bit odd shaped. But I can get ~3cu ft boxes after accounting for bracing and driver displacement. (so boxes would be ~3.5 before bracing/driver) Could go slightly bigger and make the tv stand a bit smaller or go smaller too. The depth is 24" just for reference.

So basically

1) Two Approx 3cu ft boxes
2) Want to go sealed this time (tempest-x is ported)
3) Listening is 50% HT/50% music
4) Have an EP4000 to power both. Also have a EQ2 currently serving as a HPF (but will eventually get a minidsp)
5) budget wise i'd liek to keep it under 500 bucks for both drivers
6) As for the tempest-x, not sure what ill do with it as of yet. If i could find another i'd just use it for the two boxes but o well. Possibly sell it or i might hold on it, we will see.

As for me, I'd like to go as low as possible but getting 5hz isnt a requirement or anything. Also i tend to not crank the sub up super loud or anything. Definitely like it more in moderation than going for maximum spl.

I did some modeling and looked at some drivers but im not really sure what all i should be looking for. The LMSR-12's seem like they would do just fine but are a bit out of my price range. As does a few of the daytons. Really just about everything looks like it would do ok but i dont totally understand all the numbers by any means.

Thank you in advance!

PSN- Velillen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the Fi Q15 would be a great choice...i think they are a little cheaper than the TC...maybe $300 each plus shipping.

Here is another budget sub that may work...may need to go a little bigger than 3ft3.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-468

Tim
post #3 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
If your tempest-X is directional that is a crossover or enclosure problem. You should not be able to discern the bass frequencies origionation point.

I am going to go ahead a be a naysayer here. I don't like this idea for 2 reasons. 1) your boxes need to be seperate from the TV stand. There are many reasons why. One of which is, if you decide you need a bigger TV stand, you need new sub boxes. Another- you are mechanically coupling the vibrations from the subs to each other, they are not dual opposed, and will also vibrate the TV. 2) by fixing the position of the subs, you are locking in where they can be placed in your room, which is probably not in the ideal position.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Sell me the Tempest.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

If your tempest-X is directional that is a crossover or enclosure problem. You should not be able to discern the bass frequencies origionation point.

I am going to go ahead a be a naysayer here. I don't like this idea for 2 reasons. 1) your boxes need to be seperate from the TV stand. There are many reasons why. One of which is, if you decide you need a bigger TV stand, you need new sub boxes. Another- you are mechanically coupling the vibrations from the subs to each other, they are not dual opposed, and will also vibrate the TV. 2) by fixing the position of the subs, you are locking in where they can be placed in your room, which is probably not in the ideal position.

First off its just the size/current shape of the box the tmepest x is in more than anything that is limiting it. There isnt to many spots for it to go other than where it is. it was built as an end tbale and worked wonderfully at the old house, but not so well at this house.

Second i uploaded the wrong picture. They would be separate boxes. The tv stand will not be connected at all. Thats my bad there. As for bigger tv stand...not going to happen. i can fit everything i could want one the one i built (which will be about the same size as my current one..width wise at least)

There isnt anywhere else they could go to be honest. Room is a bit narrow so its basically where the tempest-x is (or 1-2 feet behind it) or up by the tv. So not to worried about "being locked into one location" (one side has a fireplace the other has the entrance so could go on those walls).

BUT i will definitely take those into consideration. ill try moving the tempest-x and trying it out in the spot i was planning to see how it sounds there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

the Fi Q15 would be a great choice...i think they are a little cheaper than the TC...maybe $300 each plus shipping.

Here is another budget sub that may work...may need to go a little bigger than 3ft3.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-468

Yeah I'd been looking at the Q15. Bit more than i was hoping. The dayton seemed to do just fine and i'd modeled it but was trying to see if there was something else out there as well.

PSN- Velillen
post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

Yeah I'd been looking at the Q15. Bit more than i was hoping. The dayton seemed to do just fine and i'd modeled it but was trying to see if there was something else out there as well.

sundown audio has a new "e" series...for very cheap money...not sure if anyone has modeled them for seal HT box yet...but its $129 for a 15" sub and a very reputable company.
e15 is:
RE: 3.8ohm
Fs: 29.4 hz
Qes: 0.57
Qms: 6.39
Qts: 0.52
Le: 1.83mH
Vas: 147.7L
BL: 15.6NA
Cms: 0.15MM/N
Mms: 195.9grams
Sens: n/a 1w/1m