Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 679 Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-SWS-1...item2c6517886c

Nice 15" woofer for cheap. 15 13/16" though?

Could just sand the circle out?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 679 Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Also, two of the dual opposed models are done. I'll get photos later......I've got to put together the router table right now.

Hi Erich,

Can you share the rough dimensions of the dual opposed boxes?
post #273 of 679 Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the boxes are up on the website..

erich do you cut the opening for reference/titanics yourself or is that done on CNC?

post #274 of 679 Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Only bad thing is the cutouts are a bit big, so there would be a gap around the woofer.

Ditch the gasket that comes with the SDX10 and use this instead:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-542

You will get a much better seal even with a slight gap around the woofer. You can also use weather stripping from any hardware store but the PE gasket tape has a better backing tape.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #275 of 679 Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Looks like the boxes are up on the website..

erich do you cut the opening for reference/titanics yourself or is that done on CNC?

Not all boxes are posted yet, but it's getting started. The cut outs are done by CNC. But I'll be doing the 1/2" roundovers by hand myself. I bought a small router table last weekend and set it up. I don't mind doing the roundovers by hand because it's pretty simple. Dusty though. The current sealed subs are pretty much ready to go.

I've been trying to figure out how to organize all of the options so that each person doesn't have to contact me to say they don't want roundovers, or they don't want the driver recessed, or whatever.

So I spent a while this evening figuring out a way to put those options on the website.....and it worked! Probably easy for some people, but not as easy for me.

Here's the first trial I did:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pa...flat-pack.html

This will allow someone to pick the woofer cut out they need. I figured out how to make it so you can only choose one option there. Then under that they can select if they want roundovers on the front edges, or whatever else I can come up with. Some won't want the driver recessed at all so the screws can bite into the entire thickness of a double baffle.

That area lets someone choose more than one. The 2" thick option was just put there as a trial. If chosen, it adds the extra amount to the total price. Pretty neat. I really don't know how much the extra thick option would even cost, it's just a trial right now.

The only problem I see is that I don't have access to a lot of woofers yet. Basically just what I can pick up from Parts Express. Manufacturer specs are simply not accurate enough and I really need to double check that they fit the holes. Over time maybe forum members that cut their own holes could trace the exact diameter onto a piece of paper and send it to me. I could then cut that circle out and make sure it fits into it's matching baffle. That way we could slowly get more cutout options that have been verified. Guessing really isn't a god idea.

It's not like a million of these will be ordered, so I'll see how the extra options go. I haven't had any problems keeping up with the Anarchy TH's or the other stuff. I'm a little worried about the waveguides coming in next week, but I'm going to call on friends to see if they will help out with that initial rush.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #276 of 679 Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Ditch the gasket that comes with the SDX10 and use this instead:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-542

You will get a much better seal even with a slight gap around the woofer. You can also use weather stripping from any hardware store but the PE gasket tape has a better backing tape.

I was actually referring to aesthetics when mentioning the gap would be a bad thing...

I planned to pick up some extra gasket foam in case the gasket on the woofer wasn't sufficient.
post #277 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 05:37 AM

Hey not to be a PITA, but if someone can model the 2.25 cu ft box with a Dayton 12" HF and a 300W BASH amp I would appreciated it!

WinSD is just not my friend and I'm having difficulty figuring it out.

-Thanks- Dave
post #278 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Just looking at the horizontal braces of the 3 smallest boxes listed. They are meeting and running along the back wall of the box... won't that interfere with mounting a plate amp?
post #279 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Only the shelf brace runs completely across the middle of the panel. I made sure there was enough clearance for the amps if the end user glued the box together, then cut out a hole for a plate amp. This was the only way to make sure the box could be used for pro audio amps and plate amps. There's really no other way to do it.

Eventually there will probably be kits with the amp cutout already there. But the brace will look exactly the same.....minus the part that you would have to remove right now.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #280 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Are any of the dual opposed boxes going to be suitable for MFWs? If so, then I will be in for 2. Thanks.

Jake
post #281 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedsnk View Post

Are any of the dual opposed boxes going to be suitable for MFWs? If so, then I will be in for 2. Thanks.

Jake

I haven't had any of those made because I was worried about the shipping weight issue.

I could try to get a prototype box cut next week if there's time. It would need to be shipped in 2 separate boxes, but maybe cost wouldn't be as bad as I'm thinking.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #282 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Erich H,

I ordered two of your 3.5 cu.ft. enclosures last night (w/blank baffles and no round overs) for my JBL W15GTI MKII subs.

This is going to be extremely inconvenient for you - but if I can ask a HUGE favor and have you measure the depth from the baffle to the bracing - I would really appreciate it.

I only ask because I know the that JBL W15GTI are lot deeper than many of the other 15s and I wanted to make sure that the enclosure you developed could accommodate those drivers.

Per the spec sheet - the mounting depth of the JBL W15GTI is 10.25"

Again - if you can quickly measure this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
post #283 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've got that information written down somewhere and will eventually get all that posted to the website. But I'll find it today and let you know.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #284 of 679 Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Man I'm getting antsy here Erich!!

Wanting to get two of the kits for 15's already ....
By chance are you going to have full kits put together?

And by full kits i mean the boxes, drivers, amp and so on?
or maybe on your site the recommended hardware to go with each of the boxes from PE?

Urlryn

Urlryn

================================
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
Subs: Pair of SI D4 18's 4 cuft sealed
post #285 of 679 Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efalegalo View Post

Erich H,

I ordered two of your 3.5 cu.ft. enclosures last night (w/blank baffles and no round overs) for my JBL W15GTI MKII subs.

This is going to be extremely inconvenient for you - but if I can ask a HUGE favor and have you measure the depth from the baffle to the bracing - I would really appreciate it.

I only ask because I know the that JBL W15GTI are lot deeper than many of the other 15s and I wanted to make sure that the enclosure you developed could accommodate those drivers.

Per the spec sheet - the mounting depth of the JBL W15GTI is 10.25"

Again - if you can quickly measure this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you recessed the JBL a full .75" it would be 10.5" to the bracing, so you would be fine. If you mounted it on top of the outer baffle, it would have 11.25" before the bracing.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #286 of 679 Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlryn View Post

Man I'm getting antsy here Erich!!

Wanting to get two of the kits for 15's already ....
By chance are you going to have full kits put together?

And by full kits i mean the boxes, drivers, amp and so on?
or maybe on your site the recommended hardware to go with each of the boxes from PE?

Urlryn

I'll be checking with PE to figure out kit pricing. I'm actually heading up there tomorrow and hope to find out then.

Keep in mind, I run a landscape business right now, so the audio things can never happen quick enough for everyone. That could change in the future if I have to hire someone part time to help with all of this. It was talked about on a different forum that maybe I should. Things would certainly move a lot faster, but I haven't decided yet.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #287 of 679 Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

If you recessed the JBL a full .75" it would be 10.5" to the bracing, so you would be fine. If you mounted it on top of the outer baffle, it would have 11.25" before the bracing.

Thanks Erich H - I really appreciate you looking into this for me.

Can't wait to get the enclosures. Thanks again for all your efforts.
post #288 of 679 Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 AM

Does anyone know if the Dayton 15" Reference series are able to fit in the 2.25 cu ft boxes?

Also, if using BASH Amps...do they seal up good or should I separate and build a small inner box for it to seal better?
post #289 of 679 Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM

What would be better for a 24x24 room...though this is temporary location and will be going to a smaller 12x20 mini theater room once done! smile.gif

3.0 cu. ft or 3.5 cu. ft ?

Currently I'm looking at for driver and amp (unless you guys have some better options for the money)

Dayton Audio TIT400C-4 15" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer
Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

would I need anything else beside binding posts, foam stuff for inside.....?

I am hoping the keep the cost a little lower since I'm going to be building 2 of these and still need to pay someone to put a black matte finish on it.
Almost be 1500 for the pair..not that I'm complaining compared to retail prices....but still!

Thanks
Urlryn

Urlryn

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
post #290 of 679 Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlryn View Post

What would be better for a 24x24 room...though this is temporary location and will be going to a smaller 12x20 mini theater room once done! smile.gif
3.0 cu. ft or 3.5 cu. ft ?
Currently I'm looking at for driver and amp (unless you guys have some better options for the money)
Dayton Audio TIT400C-4 15" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer
Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
would I need anything else beside binding posts, foam stuff for inside.....?
I am hoping the keep the cost a little lower since I'm going to be building 2 of these and still need to pay someone to put a black matte finish on it.
Almost be 1500 for the pair..not that I'm complaining compared to retail prices....but still!
Thanks
Urlryn

3.5 ft3. You would be better off with one of these amps

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=301-514

You will get an F3 of 24hz with the boosted amp. With no boost you're looking at a 37hz F3. In a large room you dont want to depend on any room gain, as you likely wont get any.

post #291 of 679 Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

What are we talking about exactly? driver cut outs for the frame or driver cut outs to fit the basket?

If the former then beggars cant be choosers and all, for a $150 box i dont expect the driver cut out to be perfect, i didnt even expect a driver cut out at all, i just expected to have a driver frame resting on top of wood, no biggie...

probably both, as they both usually vary.
I was looking at the 4.5cuft box ( I just bought a Zv3 from Wi ) but it's cut-outs are for the LMS-U right now.

They are surprisingly close in cut-out... maybe .2-.3 inches in variance for the baffle / frame.
I was debating pulling the trigger since my build is pretty much ready to be started except for the box but I wasn't sure if it would fit or if Erich had other baffles cut yet.

Think it's worth chancing?
post #292 of 679 Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Hi Erich H,

In regards to the subwoofer flat packs currently listed on your website, are they currently listed for "pre-order" purposes or are those flat packs readily available. If they are readily availble, could you please confirm whether my order (#100000339) placed on May 30th came through?

Thanks a million.
post #293 of 679 Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll be double checking all orders tomorrow and Wednesday. Any order that has been placed up to this week is guaranteed to go out this week because I'm taking off some days of work to get everything caught up.

After the container of waveguides and compression drivers came in, all the people that preordered those sent in orders for the compression drivers. So there were hundreds of emails and over 100 orders come in within a few days right when the subwoofers started to move. I think some might have been buried. Obviously yours did and I know of another one as well. Sorry.

I decided to ask one of my friends to help me get things under control so I have time to post the other subwoofer box models that are now ready to go as well.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #294 of 679 Old 06-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Jay1
Thanks for the reply....sorry its a bit later than expected. Works been crazy lately here to.

Urlryn

Urlryn

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
post #295 of 679 Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Erich,

I know your busy and all and its no rush. Just wanted to see if you will have any chance soon to work out the kits or if it would be better to order direct from PE for the drivers/amp and stuff?
Or
Do you still have any old stock on hand that would be just as good or better suited to use with the subs boxes to maybe help ya get rid of some of that stuff?

Urlryn

Urlryn

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
post #296 of 679 Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I'll be double checking all orders tomorrow and Wednesday. Any order that has been placed up to this week is guaranteed to go out this week because I'm taking off some days of work to get everything caught up. .

Thanks Erich H. Hopefully I'll get mine before the weekend (since I'm only in MD) and I can get cranking on these. If I get started this weekend, I'll report back how (hopefully) easy these are to assemble.

Cheers,
D
post #297 of 679 Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Hey erich do you think you can buy some of this then offer it with your sub enclosures as an option?

https://www.foamtapes.net/Default.aspx?tabid=80&ProductID=262&poselid=p262%3ao4%3aBlack&List=0&SortField=Free3,Free1

pretty sure its what bosso uses

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387665/2-lg-clone-4-uxl-18-pi-18/240#post_21807823

$38 buys 304 feet... so charge include 5 feet and then charge us $3 for it ($1 for the tape, $2 for labor)

It will be a no brainer for most people

post #298 of 679 Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question: Can any of the subwoofer flat packs be used with passive radiators, or does the internal bracing make that impossible? Thanks!
post #299 of 679 Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Any updates on the smaller flat packs (0.75 and 1.0 cu ft.)?
post #300 of 679 Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Erich,

I just want to say thank you for contributing to the community in this way. The product looks fantastic and the prices are amazing.

I'll also recommend a possible finish option that KCNitro07 and I explored recently that seemed to work well on his DIY MDF boxes.

http://synta.com/prod_restoredeck2.html

HomeDepot had two gallons on sale for $40, or five gallons for $80. You choose the color and they mix it to match, just like normal paint.

The finish is a hard, durable, weatherproof, deck liner -- not unlike the rough finish of rhino liner or line-x for truck beds. The best part is you can roll it on.

He used all of his two gallons to make two 3.7 cubic foot boxes.

Here are some results pics...He used the color autumn brown. It actually may have a bit of purple tint to it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415823/2-dayton-titanic-mk-iii-15s-or-1-tc-sounds-lms-r-15/50_50#post_22169622

You can choose any color though.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page