Tuba HT - best thing you can do with Dayton 15 HF? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is Tuba HT the best thing you can build for the Dayton 390 15" HF?

How complicated is it to build (total noob here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What about Lil Mike's F20 horn sub? free plans, a proven design, and it is not too hard to build either.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 AM

Liked: 12
I built 2 f20's and love 'em. They external dimensions work better in my space.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:12 AM

Liked: 14
Either the THT or the F20 would be a great choice. Let the dimensions of the box make your choice for you. If you can do the 36"x36" of the THT better than the 20"x60" of the F20 then build it.

The F20 is probably easier to build and you can't beat the support on this forum for it. That's what I did.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I figured if I'm going to go through the trouble, I would want something that hits as hard and as low as possible.
Plus, I thought the driver for the F20 was no longer available, and that horns are very driver specific. Is this not correct?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive View Post

Either the THT or the F20 would be a great choice. Let the dimensions of the box make your choice for you. If you can do the 36"x36" of the THT better than the 20"x60" of the F20 then build it.

The F20 is probably easier to build and you can't beat the support on this forum for it. That's what I did.

For some reason I was thinking of the horn that used the 8" driver.

The F20 uses a 15" driver.. does the Dayton 15" DVC work for it?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM

The Dayton 15" DVC is supposed to be an almost direct replacement for the design speaker in the F20. Several people used the DVC and a Bash 300 plate and are very happy. The RSS390HF works good too. I built mine with the 390HF and an Oaudio Bash 500 plate and it amazes me every time I turn it on. I figured both the speaker and amp were overkill, but I wanted headroom in both and if I ever wanted to build something else I figured they would be better front facing if I ever went that route. So now I just keep it turned down halfway.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Dayton 15" DVC is supposed to be an almost direct replacement for the design speaker in the F20. Several people used the DVC and a Bash 300 plate and are very happy. The RSS390HF works good too. I built mine with the 390HF and an Oaudio Bash 500 plate and it amazes me every time I turn it on. I figured both the speaker and amp were overkill, but I wanted headroom in both and if I ever wanted to build something else I figured they would be better front facing if I ever went that route. So now I just keep it turned down halfway.

Hey that's great to hear!
What I don't get is how so many different drivers work, when horns are supposed to be so specific for a driver.

What's great to hear is that i have the 390HF and I'm almost done with my first build. It's about 7.3 cu ft net after bracing, tuned to 21.6 Hz, with Bash 300 amp. If I don't like it, I'll just build an F20. Or just build an F20 anyways. In that case would you go with another 390 HF or the DVC, since it's closer to the direct replacement?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I built two THT LPs, and am quite happy with them. It was my first subwoofer build (have done other woodworking before, but not a pro by any means), and I didn't find it to be too terribly difficult, just takes a bit of time and a lot of sawdust.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I built mine with the 390HF and an Oaudio Bash 500 plate and it amazes me every time I turn it on.

i built the same sub with this same combo and never have anything but smiles on my face. I also never have the need to turn up the gain past half way. Total cost of materials and gas to go pick it up from friend 6 hours away was around $700. I can't think of many OEM subs with the same output at that price point.

the only real trade off is it's size, which my wife miraculously did not question once I provided her with a cost-to-performance comparison.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjga View Post

Hey that's great to hear!
What I don't get is how so many different drivers work, when horns are supposed to be so specific for a driver.

that's typically the case. it turned out to be a happy accident that people learned about once the original driver became NLA.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjga View Post

In that case would you go with another 390 HF or the DVC, since it's closer to the direct replacement?

If I did it again I'd do it the exact same way I did before. I just can't imagine it sounding any better than it already does. Even if I had the room for another one I honestly don't think I need it. This thing is amazing.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeussmith View Post

i built the same sub with this same combo and never have anything but smiles on my face. I also never have the need to turn up the gain past half way. Total cost of materials and gas to go pick it up from friend 6 hours away was around $700. I can't think of many OEM subs with the same output at that price point.

the only real trade off is it's size, which my wife miraculously did not question once I provided her with a cost-to-performance comparison.

I tried to copy as much of your build as I could. That was the main reason I went with the 390HF and the Oo 500.

My wife quit complaining as soon as she heard it.