New to DIY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello all. I am primarily interested in 2 channel speaker design. I came to home audio via car audio. I started upgrading my car's system from stock and after a year of tinkering, I ended up with a fully active 4-way system with a digital processor. It sounds just right to me.

So i have been getting into home audio. I have a set of Magnepan MMGs, a set of B&W 805Ns and a set of PSB Imagine bookshelves. I like them all but I am getting the hunger to make my own stuff designs.

A few questions from this noob:

1. Is there a well written resource on speaker design that covers different types of design? I am interested in many styles like line arrays, open baffle, etc.

2. How do I navigate the ocean of speakers available on sites like parts express without ever hearing them? As a total beginner should I build some pre built designs / kits - it seems a bit against the grain of DIY and doen't appeal to me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 12
Check out the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. I haven't looked at it in a few years, but it was a wealth of information.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post

Check out the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. I haven't looked at it in a few years, but it was a wealth of information.

+1 although reading _Sound Reproduction: Loud Speakers and Rooms_ by Floyd Toole first would be a fine idea as a primer on design goals, room interactions, and what measurements mean.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

As a total beginner should I build some pre built designs / kits - it seems a bit against the grain of DIY and doen't appeal to me.

Speaker design keeps many hobbyists busy for decades, although if you want excellent speakers soon (even before you get done reading 800 pages worth of technical books on the subject) you'd do well to build a published design from some one experienced and respected (in no particular order and as a non-exclusive list zaphaudio.com, murphyblaster.com, and linkwitzlab.com).

You can start with a cabinet drawing and cross-over schematic so there's _a lot of DIY_ but less measuring and messing with computers.

Siegfried Linkwitz's kits are a little more inclusive - you get a spiral bound set of schematics, cabinet plans, and expected frequency response at various test points plus a pair of circuit boards for the active cross-overs.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 808
the suggestions so far are great.

for a starter, you can get a pretty broad overview of audio with the:

JBL Professional Sound System Design Manual - 1999 Edition

it is in two parts on this page:
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...?CatID=1&Run=1

william cowan has some good stuff on his site: