Wanted BIG BASS: Big room open to an even bigger room with lots of windows! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
that's awesome.

i know what you were working on and when i saw the pics, i thought, aw crap he decided not to go with the horns.

then i realized that those ARE your horns. talk about stealth mode! nice work.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, okay, okay, so way back in June… yeah, that’s forever ago, I wrote about a single Quadhorn running off a piece of crap 200 W plate amp and said I was “Simply Blown Away!”

Fast-forward to today and I have my Emotiva XPA-5 output stage replaced, the base driver of my B&W 801 recoiled, and an iNUKE3000DSP firing both tapped horns. So now what is it like… beyond blown away… Freaking Audio Nirvana. Like beyond anything I’ve ever experienced!

These subwoofers are the real deal. Effortless, dynamic, refined… They sound clean and full of finesse and downright rowdy when they need to be. The way they can so easily blend in a subtle bass note with a full charge car explosion that shakes the room and then drop right back to being understated/refined is amazing. Before when I’d be watching a movie like Avengers I’d hear the Klipsch subwoofer literally clanking itself across the room coming totally unglued. I’d have to turn they gain knob down on it so it wouldn’t selfimplode during the tough scenes only to have a complete loss of bass everywhere else. In come the Quadhorns… No problem here, just set the gain to whatever you can take and they’ll do it, no problem, without a grunt, not even breaking a sweat. The few times when I thought they actually were struggling I found out it was something vibrating off the wall, a window, flower dish… Yeah, definitely having to button down the house. It’s really just so awesome, and even better is to see the faces of folks who have never experienced real base in a home theater setting watching a movie at my place for the first time. They just look over and say what the heck is that? And have no idea the seamlessly innocent window seat could output concert level bass. So cool!

I LOVE MY TAPPED HORNS!

So yeah, I’m sure you’re all chomping at the bit for some more in-depth/scientific numbers, but no time for those right now. What I can tell you is I had to settle out a couple major peaks, and after doing that they really started sounding a heck of a lot more musical/better. Obviously will follow this up with some concrete graphs and stuff, but that’ll have to wait until time permits.

Thanks for all the kind words about my setup/land/area. Really quite in love with my new house! The crazy tapped horns only make it better!

http://www.quadomated.com/
I am the Quad in Quadomated.   Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.

post #123 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

That blends in with the room so well! I am not showing these pics to my wife. LOL
Why don't you show them to her... then we can make you a set of your own!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Nice yard sir! Excellent implementation of the subs into the room too.
Thanks Ricci! Love the feeling of being in the country yet still close enough to town that I can just wheel down the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Goodness, how do those plants like the 20hz material? haha
Do you think that's why my orchids keep losing their flowers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

that's awesome.
i know what you were working on and when i saw the pics, i thought, aw crap he decided not to go with the horns.
then i realized that those ARE your horns. talk about stealth mode! nice work.
Come on LTD... after all the work you, Lilmike and others put into these bad boys I had to make them. Where's the faith? :-)

I am the Quad in Quadomated.   Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.

post #124 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
LOL, I already ordered my 4-18"s. tongue.gif I watched your progress as it was one of the first designs I was considering. You did a fantastic job! Thank you for sharing your progress and impressions.
post #125 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Liked: 12
Job well done sir.. it looks seamless and even better than before, use some double sided tape on those nick knacks!! lol

post #126 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Liked: 12
Really really nice. I had to look at the pictures a few times to even see where they are at.

post #127 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Where's the faith? :-)"

in YOU brother...despite all the challenges (yeah, reading your sig link ripped my heart out), you managed to bring the system home big time...major props.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #128 of 146 Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Had to look twice to even see them, and I knew where they were going to get parked.

Spectacular results! Glad that you're pleased.
post #129 of 146 Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys :-) Couldn't have done it without you!

And well, the awesome guy who built my house and came back a year later to put these things together. Not exactly his normal routine, but we had a great time and many laughs throwing together 16 feet wide of subwoofers.

Now I just need to provide you with some graphs of the output... ain'rt ever going to come up with max output... tried that once and things started getting uncomfortable both for the house and me long before I found their limitations eek.gif

post #130 of 146 Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
This sets a new standard for home integration of subwoofers, at a performance level where very few would find fault. Very well done; I trust you will enjoy it for years!

HAve fun,
Frank
post #131 of 146 Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Frank! So far I've completely lost the upgrade bug, well at least for my subwoofers… Need a new pre-/processor that can handle 3-D.

post #132 of 146 Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 AM

Liked: 14
This has been a great thread to watch unfold. I could look at the finished pics all day. You have an amazing house, and now an amazing sound system to go with it. Too bad I can't hear it in person. Great job on the finished product. wink.gif
post #133 of 146 Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Looks great, that room is a perfect candidate for one of the new Screen Excellence Black Diamond Electric screens.
http://www.screeninnovations.com/projector-screens/motorized/black-diamond-motorized/

There is a video of it in operation. See the third video down.
http://www.screeninnovations.com/category/videos/black-diamond-videos/

If you have any questions, let us know.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #134 of 146 Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Looks great, that room is a perfect candidate for one of the new Screen Excellence Black Diamond Electric screens.
http://www.screeninnovations.com/projector-screens/motorized/black-diamond-motorized/

A sales pitch in my do-it-yourself thread… since we're going there, what would this screen do that my da-lite high power doesn't already do? I mean, always love upgrading, searching for the next improvements/big thing, but would the thousands of dollars truly make that big of a difference?

post #135 of 146 Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I just showed this thread to my cousin in Pa. I am wondering if any other drivers would be suited to this enclosure? Two of these would fit perfectly under his screen.

Chris
post #136 of 146 Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

did lilmike post a frequency response/hornresp model for this anywhere?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #137 of 146 Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

There are other drivers that would work okay in this enclosure, but it was designed specifically for the Kicker 10CVX15 driver and they seemed to model quite a bit better and are a known quantity in the tapped horn world. Really see no point in changing a proven design that works so awesome when these drivers are readily available and decently priced.

The horn response models and Google sketch up plans are attached below. This is really a pretty easy/straightforward cabinet to build, taking about 2 days to do the pair.

Google Sketch up Overhead with the Top Removed

Horn Response Input Parameters - Half Space,1000 W

Horn Response Schematic Diagram - Half Space,1000 W

Horn Response SPL Response - Half Space,1000 W

Horn Response Diaphragm Displacement - Half Space,1000 W

Horn Response Phase Response - Half Space,1000 W

As you can see from the SPL response, there are two significant peaks around 25 Hz and 60 Hz.. These needed to be dealt with using DSP before the horns sounded right. Before taking care of the peaks they still sounded impressive, but were quite overwhelming at the low-frequency 25 Hz.

From the diaphragm displacement model you can see things getting quickly out of hand below 22 HZ. I used a high pass filter to filter out everything below 23 HZ. I can go into more details about the specific DSP and filters I used at a later time if anyone is interested enough.

Horn Response, Google Sketchup, and Construction Plans attached below:
Quadhorn Horn Response File 0k .txt file
Quadhorn a11 Google Sketchup Model 47k .zip file
Quadhorn a11 Construction Set 178k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: txt quadhorn.txt (440 Bytes, 12 views)
File Type: zip Quadhorn a11 Sketchup.zip (46.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf Quadhorn a11 Construction Set.pdf (178.1 KB, 21 views)

post #138 of 146 Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

TY for the response! I will pass the information along to him.
post #139 of 146 Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

TY for the response! I will pass the information along to him.

Certainly! Let me know however I can help. Been beyond overwhelmed/happy with these horns and am happy to help anyone else find similar bliss.

post #140 of 146 Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
That's the information I have. This one was not my work, Chassmain and I collaborated on the model and fold - he did most of the work, I just provided the basic idea and a few suggestions along the way.

As far as overpowering below 25 Hz? That may be room-related.

Only thing I can add to what Chassmain posted is that things are not as bad as they look excursion-wise. We need to remember that Hornresp does not know when the coil and motor relationship changes. Modeled results don't match measured and observed reality.

Simply put, excursion (at the limits) is overstated in the model, because Hornresp holds the driver's motor parameters constant as the voltage applied increases. Thiele-Small parameters are small-signal numbers, and are typically measured at a fraction of a watt. Thiele-Small parameters do not remain constant as power is increased. As excursion increases with higher voltage applied, the coil is driven out of the motor gap, which reduces the motor force. As the coil moves further out of the gap, motor force approaches zero, which means that there is not enough motor force to push the cone any further.

I still definitely recommend using a highpass with any tapped horn, because if you apply enough power, you can drive the moving parts into the stationary ones. Also - like any horn - they suffer from limited bandwidth.
post #141 of 146 Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

That's the information I have. This one was not my work, Chassmain and I collaborated on the model and fold - he did most of the work, I just provided the basic idea and a few suggestions along the way.

Oh comeon… you were a tremendous help making sure I get the right driver in there and the throat properly place to get the desired compression ratio/response. Got to give you a humongous thanks for all the help along the journey!
Quote:

As far as overpowering below 25 Hz? That may be room-related.
There was just a major strong squad around the 25 Hz… Guess it could of been mostly room related, but figured it might have a little bit to do with the hump in the horn response graph.
Quote:

Only thing I can add to what Chassmain posted is that things are not as bad as they look excursion-wise. We need to remember that Hornresp does not know when the coil and motor relationship changes. Modeled results don't match measured and observed reality.
Simply put, excursion (at the limits) is overstated in the model, because Hornresp holds the driver's motor parameters constant as the voltage applied increases. Thiele-Small parameters are small-signal numbers, and are typically measured at a fraction of a watt. Thiele-Small parameters do not remain constant as power is increased. As excursion increases with higher voltage applied, the coil is driven out of the motor gap, which reduces the motor force. As the coil moves further out of the gap, motor force approaches zero, which means that there is not enough motor force to push the cone any further.
I still definitely recommend using a highpass with any tapped horn, because if you apply enough power, you can drive the moving parts into the stationary ones. Also - like any horn - they suffer from limited bandwidth.

Yeah… What he just said cool.gif. All I can say is I've played these things pretty darn loud and never come close to their limits… maybe the limits of my ears/house, but these have never strained at any reasonable volume.

post #142 of 146 Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

+1 on #140

Listen. It's All Good.
post #143 of 146 Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 15
holy...your running 4 of those? jeez how are those windows holding up? I run two different cvx15 tapped horns tuned to about 16hz behind my false wall and i can flap my double 5/8" sheetrocked walls like hurricane sandy is coming through. I cant imagine what it does to those windows. The downfall my AT screen also gets a flapping as does the projector gets hopping as well.

post #144 of 146 Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman12 View Post

holy...your running 4 of those?

Nah... two just like yours. Can't imagine needing anything more.

I wonder how similar our subs sound? Obviously, yours drop deeper, but other than that I wonder if they sound quite similar?

Killer looking theater BTW!

post #145 of 146 Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassmain View Post

Alright… How about some before and after pictures!

Quadomated Home Theater Before the Horns

Quadomated Home Theater After the Massive Quad Horns

What do you think? I couldn't be more happy with how the gigantic Quadhorn Tapped Horn subwoofers seamlessly blended into my room/decore as a window seat. Almost like they belong there or something.

I will admit, when I first moved these beasts into my room I kinda freaked out a little bit thinking what the hell have I done, but now that they're all stained up with some flowers on them, and I'm used to the space they take up I can't imagine my room without them. They almost bring an extra warmth/homeliness to my room, well at least until I crank them up :-)

Will give you my thoughts about how they sound in just a few.
-Mike

bump...just for awesomeness.
MemX likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #146 of 146 Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post