I have all 3 environments covered with my projects, Car Pro and Home. I will be able to evaluate performance of all lines except the Nightshade SPL driver. After seeing the operation I am pretty stoked about these drivers.
First thing I did today was to swap out the 4 JL 12w0 in my car with 4 SD-2 12". I needed a shallow driver with more motor to fit in a compact box in a convertible trunk. The box is 2.5ft3, generously stuffed. They run series parallel into a 1ohm mono load on a Kicker XS100, sharing approximately 1250w for the set. I did the swap at the office in PA, then had the 3hr drive home to figure out what these drivers are made of.
There was a difference expected as the JLs don't have enough motor for that small of an enclosure, but damn. These subwoofers are the real deal. Gobs of output and accuracy. Even with the top down the subbass had the engaging balanced quality I have always been lacking with my prior implementations. The first pair of JL 10w3v3 were great sounding but lacked the output levels, the 12w0s had the output but lacked the displacement and motor to render the real low stuff. These SD-2 are just plain nasty, I actually turned off the Yankees game in order to listen to more music. Complete success.
Next up was an interesting idea for the SD-2 10". We use Triad in-wall subwoofers in some of our multi room systems, and after discussion of a planned implementation, Triad didn't like the idea of feeding one of these subs 500w. They recommended 100w max. That simply won't do. Since there was a 10" SD-2 model, I figured it was worth a shot to upgrade the driver to something a bit more robust. There is no direct indication of what 10" is in this cabinet, but once I took it apart I had a pretty good idea.
Glimpse of the future:
The factory driver is a dead ringer for the peerless XLS 10". 2"VC 150w RMS, Qts of .17. Interesting choice for small sealed if so.
The primary differences are depth, magnet size, and cabinet protrusion:
The whole thing could be for naught, with a quick flip of the tape measure it is determined to be VERY close but dooable:
The cabinets are well assembled and finished MDF, with soldered leads and T-Nuts to mount the driver:
First step is to temporarily remove the blocks of high density foam filing the enclosure:
So I go to plunk in the driver and whoops:
Flip it over to verify cutout and mounting pattern to find that it doesn't line up, we'll deal with this later:
First is removal of a bit of brace material, time to make a mess:
That wasn't quite enough, so MORE MORE MORE:
Seems we still have a bit of trouble:
Your turn there other brace:
Close, but yet no cigar:
When in doubt, just remove more:
Seal and wire:
I haven't yet hooked this up, but I will for sure in the next couple of days. The brace removal is rough looking, but this is the first one I have had to do. I may have 20 more in a few months for one install. More conclusions on this one later.
Next up is the WiEasy sub getting loaded with an 18" Zv3. This is going to resume duty as my studio/movie sub in my room. It is going to be placed in one of the touring sub cabs for the 2 shows this weekend.
Oh look it fits! Handy 16/2 lift wires there too:
I decided it might be a good idea to finally add a jack and some wiring:
Thanks to the size of the enclosure and the heft of the driver, I figured mounting it where it will rest will be wise.
More of those lifting wires:
And dropped in:
Hook it up and place it:
This thing has easily become my favorite driver. I can't wait to shoot it up with 3200w this weekend to see what it really can do wide open.
Next is the slot ported 12" enclosure loaded with SA-12. I took another driver out of these and needed something robust to take over:
I haven't even given one of these power yet, so I have no conclusions other than they look nice in there. More to come once I can try em out.
Last but not least, I replaced another pair of 12w0s. This one is a bit more fair, entry level against entry level and all. I picked up a pair of E12s by chance, there were just a few B-Stock items left at HQ and among them were this pair of E12s. A bit too much glue at the dustcap joint rendered them to the B-Stock shelf. These reside in a 1.25ft3 per driver premade cabinet, generally in my SUV, but these will be going to work with me for evaluation instead of the pair of aforementioned 10w3v3s. More detail on the system at work someday. Back to it:
Nice thing about premades, it doesn't always fit:
A bit of round file work and all is good, on to the second:
Sharp looking little entry level buggers:
This is an E12 compared to the SA12, they appear cosmetically similar but you can see the larger surround and stitching on the SA:
Well, that wraps it up for today. Saturday will be quite the day getting ready for the show that night, followed by renegade parties Vol 2 on Sunday.